Cancelling Insurance

Queeniecruiser

I need to purchase cruise insurance in a few day's, withing 14 day's of original booking. Cruise isn't until July 2013. If I decide to cancel my cruise before final payment, would I be reimbursed for the insurance purchased by a private company such as Allianz?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Most likely not. The insurance, once paid for, is in effect immediately even if your trip is a good length of time off.

Folks who purchase within that 14-day window are often choosing to do so for protection against pre-existing conditions. While you may not have any right now, perhaps two months from now something happens that CREATES a pre-existing condition and you would be outside the window of getting a policy that excludes the pre-existing.

Its no different than car insurance. You buy it when you get your car. If you own the car for a year and then sell it, never using the insurance, you don't get a refund of the premiums paid.

You would not get your money back but they will hold the insurance policy for 770 days from the date of purchase and apply it to a new cruise if you book within the 770 days.

I just did this with Allianz. My travel agent will have to send them a copy of my cruise cancellation and a copy of the new booking when I decide which cruise I am going on.

I also had a similar situation when my husband passed away. That was when Allianz was Access America. They allowed me to use my portion on a future cruise.

If you think you are going to cancel the cruise and there is an issue with a pre-existing condition, why not book the insurance thru the cruise line?

Mary Lou

Or choose an insurer such as CSA that provides pre-existing coverage as long as the policy is purchased no later than the FINAL payment date. Very cruiser-friendly,

My experience is you will not be reimbursed but often insurance companies will let you reuse the amount of the policy for another cruise of equal or higher price.

However, my advice is to ask before you book it and to see it in writing.

Keith

I need to purchase cruise insurance in a few day's, withing 14 day's of original booking. If I decide to cancel my cruise before final payment, would I be reimbursed for the insurance purchased by a private company such as Allianz?

No, because the insurance company has been providing coverage for you since the effective date. They have had liability since the time of purchase.

As stated, IME, you can always move the policy to a new trip with every travel insurance company I've ever used.

Archived