$50 cheaper to book united with Expedia ov United web site

thesawch

I am just wondering something. Its $50 dollars cheaper to book with Expedia with United from Canada to Tampa in Febuary for 4 people. Thats $50 total for 4 people.. If I go to the united web site its $50 more . If I book with expedia are there and hidden costs or anything ?? 50 bucks is 50 bucks so If i can get the tickets through Expedia I will do it. Any thoughts much appreciated. Thanks

No hidden costs on Expedia aside from the possibility of a small ticket fee depending on the airline, but they will show that before purchase. They're definitely trustworthy in my book. I don't use them often, but I do a couple times each year and have never had an issue. In fact, I've found their customer service to be fantastic when needed.

I'll be flying to New Zealand in a few weeks using a ticket booked on Expedia that was cheaper than on United.com (couldn't book Air New Zealand directly on their website from Kansas City) and have no concerns at all.

We have a small hotel and we are really pissed off with Expedia because of exactly this lately. What Expedia does is charge the hotel or airline a hefty commission (one of the highest in the industry), forces the business partner to give Expedia the same rate as on the own website, and then gives the customer a kick-back to entice him to book on their site.

OK, rant over. UA is just plain stupid for letting this happen. Take the 50 bucks and go for it.

The only problem with using expedia is if u need to make a change. If this does happen call the airline directly and advise them expedia told you to call direct. Here is a recent example of my experience. Had to change a flight for the next day return. Expedia wanted over 400. Airline direct 200. Just be aware!

I have used them a lot and have never had extra fees. What I paid for hotel and air was final. They are basically non refundable though so be sure.

I find this discussion interesting. I am not an expert on United, but I fly on American a lot. I doubt whether you would be able to find a less expensive AA fare. It is important that you make sure that the two fares include the same thing and they are for some same number of people. If you want five tickets they not all cost the same depending on the reservations for each fare code.

A few years ago, we were booked direct with airline for flight from Buffalo to Min/St. Paul and there was a thunder storm in Buffalo that delayed the flight. Those who were booked with Expedia etc. were at the end of the line in getting new flights. It was all based on what your code read. We got to the wedding, those who booked with Expedia didn't. The same thing happened with the second volcano that hit in Europe in May of 10. We got out of Venice by way of Paris because we booked direct with Delta. Those who booked thru Expedia etc. had to wait at least another day.

• 2 weeks later...

I use AARP-Expedia for a lot of my travel bookings. I always price compare with them, and usually book hotels with them, sometimes air.

Right now I have two reservations with them. The first is a hotel in Las Vegas during the SEMA convention. I got 4 nights for $114.

The other is a pre-cruise hotel in Houston for $66.

These are all including taxes, etc.

There rates are definitely worth the price check, and I almost always use them for non-SW air, hotels, or packages. However, I also check the hotel or airline directly, too, before I book.

We have a small hotel and we are really pissed off with Expedia because of exactly this lately. What Expedia does is charge the hotel or airline a hefty commission (one of the highest in the industry), forces the business partner to give Expedia the same rate as on the own website, and then gives the customer a kick-back to entice him to book on their site.

OK, rant over. UA is just plain stupid for letting this happen. Take the 50 bucks and go for it.

But no one is forcing you to let Expedia have access to your inventory. Obviously you are making a business decision that working with Expedia is beneficial to your business/hotel or you would not be in bed with them. OK, rant over :D

I got a cheaper fare once iwth Aerolineas Argentinas and once with TAM using Expedia. Had no problems. I've used Expedia for a hotel room in Brazil. Have also gotten good hotel rates through the American Airlines Web site. With flights, do confirm that you'll get full ff miles IF that's a concern.

But no one is forcing you to let Expedia have access to your inventory. Obviously you are making a business decision that working with Expedia is beneficial to your business/hotel or you would not be in bed with them. OK, rant over :D

Your analysis is correct: and once we noticed what Expedia was doing, undermining what is known as rate parity, thus diverting customers away from other portals and also our own website, we adjusted their prices or, more precisely, their % discount from our gross daily rate, so now all is in balance once more.

UA could do the same: adjust the price that Expedia has to pay for the ticket so the price the passenger has to pay at Expedia is at least the same as when booked directly at UA; that a large and professional company apparently do not do this, is a bit of a surprise to us.

I am on an expedia flight right now. I had thought the comment about the coding was interesting . I am coded so I board last on every flight (6 so far) so by the time I board along with many others we usually have to check our carry on as there is no room. Doesn't bother me but just a heads up. It is free too. I also rented a car first time through them and this id save me a lot of money, no problems. Would I book a flight to catch a cruise though, probably not cause I would not want to be bumped to the end of list to catch another flight in case of weather or mechanics, the coding thing is definitely worth noting. Thanks for the tip!

There was an article on the newswires last week about this issue. Since airlines have to maintain price parity, they are watering down aspects other than price if you book through a third party. For example, Frontier only allows 50% mileage credit and seats will not be assigned until you check in. The practice will probably grow in the future.

Just took my second to last plane on Alaska air, no code. So so far was at the back for united and american but not Alaska if anyone is interested...lol..I'm bored, flying a lllllllllll daaaaayyyyy Haha

?????

Could you please put that into complete sentences so we have some idea of what you are talking about?

So so far was at the back.....reminds me of lyrics from the 60s.

Haha,sorry, I was so tired. I was flying all day.

I meant to say in summary....

Booked through expedia. The flights that coded me (put me as last to board) as we were previously mentioning were on united and American. Alaska did not which I thought was interesting.

Kenish...interesting article. I will have to check my points and see if it may have happened to me.

There was an article on the newswires last week about this issue. Since airlines have to maintain price parity, they are watering down aspects other than price if you book through a third party. For example, Frontier only allows 50% mileage credit and seats will not be assigned until you check in. The practice will probably grow in the future.
This is now in full force at Delta. From the DL website:
Tickets purchased directly through Delta are considered “published fares” and receive full mileage credit based on the SkyMiles program rules.

Effective September 1, 2012, a small number of special fares (often referred to as “unpublished fares”) will earn miles at a reduced rate. Unpublished fares are normally purchased through a specialized agent, third party or to a group.

Examples of Unpublished fares include:

• Student fares
  • Consolidator fares
  • Flights included as part of a cruise package
  • Discounted tour packages
  • Group fares

Even more reason to be buying your own tickets and not through the cruiseline, IMO.

@Flyertalker- Your comments on DL are certainly true, along with other airlines. In the case of Frontier, the reduced mileage and no seat request applies to *published* fare tickets that are purchased through OTA's (Expedia, Travelocity, etc) and not issued by Frontier. Here's an example (see the "Basic" column): http://www.flyfrontier.com/plan-book/fare-options

Travel providers are contractually stuck with price parity between their websites and OTA's. So, they are taking away ancillaries as an incentive to book directly through their website instead of the OTA.

Archived