Smooth move, Holland America!

whogo

Our cruise line provided airfare included $98 worth of transfers to and from the pier. Holland America asked yesterday if we were going to use the transfers, since we fly in two days early. I told them that we were not and it was suggested that I request a refund. Sorry, no refund 14 days before sailing. Smooth move, Holland America, to ask about the transfers after refunds are no longer available.

Our cruise line provided airfare included $98 worth of transfers to and from the pier. Holland America asked yesterday if we were going to use the transfers, since we fly in two days early. I told them that we were not and it was suggested that I request a refund. Sorry, no refund 14 days before sailing. Smooth move, Holland America, to ask about the transfers after refunds are no longer available.

If I had made the reservation, I would have looked over my booking when I received the confirmation to see what exactly was being charged. Then I would have made the smooth move of cancelling the transfers if I were not going to be using them. Or perhaps have even asked when making the booking as to what was included in the charges and cancelled the transfers right then and there. Or perhaps since they are included, I would be using the transfers.

Oh well, lesson learned.

dumb question perhaps (I'm loaded with them;)). if your transfer can't be refunded - since you are going early - HAL is probably doing pre cruise hotels - is one close enough that you could grab a cab and take advantage of it?

Just a thought:D

If you go from the hotel to the airport on the day of the cruise you can still use them! :) that is what we did when we were in London. We flew in 3 days early, spent the time in London, then went BACK to the airport on the day the cruise started and HA drove us to the port! :) But we had to "lie" on our paperwork and tell them we were coming in on that morning so we could use them.

If you go from the hotel to the airport on the day of the cruise you can still use them! :) that is what we did when we were in London. We flew in 3 days early, spent the time in London, then went BACK to the airport on the day the cruise started and HA drove us to the port! :) But we had to "lie" on our paperwork and tell them we were coming in on that morning so we could use them.

That's one way to use them.

Why did you have to lie? :confused:

If they sold you the transfers and you presented yourself at appropriate place, on time, why should there be any question as to where you came from and when? What would it matter what day you actually arrived in London as long as you were at the airport and ready for your transfer?

I don't 'get it'. They sold you the transfer, they have to provide what you bought. No?

A few times when we sailed out of Vancouver, we bought HAL's transfers from the Downtown Sheraton in Seattle. We actually stayed there.

But there were others who came from other hotels to use their transfers on our bus. And there were also some people who stayed at hotels by the airport and went back to the airport to use their transfers to go to Vancouver.

A few times when we sailed out of Vancouver, we bought HAL's transfers from the Downtown Sheraton in Seattle. We actually stayed there.

But there were others who came from other hotels to use their transfers on our bus. And there were also some people who stayed at hotels by the airport and went back to the airport to use their transfers to go to Vancouver.

Exactly.

I did this on my last cruise. I had already purchased the transfers, but had to make a last-second change in my flight in order to avoid bad weather. The result was I arrived a day earlier than planned. On embarkation day, I took the hotel's free shuttle back to the airport, found the HAL person in the baggage claim area, told her my (true) story, and showed her the transfer voucher. We both had a laugh as we observed that the flight I was supposed to be on was now hopelessly delayed, and I got on the next bus for the port. Easy.

Edit to add: I had made my flight arrangements separately, but purchased the bus transfers from HAL. This was at FLL.

dumb question perhaps (I'm loaded with them;)). if your transfer can't be refunded - since you are going early - HAL is probably doing pre cruise hotels - is one close enough that you could grab a cab and take advantage of it?

Just a thought:D

I will ask. We are spending two days in Rome before heading to Civitavecchia and yes, I should have paid more attention to the invoice. Air and transfers through HAL were hundreds of dollars cheaper than I could find on my own and the flights times and connections are better. Well, live and learn. Or not learn. I am capable of making the same mistake more than once.

Why did you have to lie? :confused:

If they sold you the transfers and you presented yourself at appropriate place, on time, why should there be any question as to where you came from and when? What would it matter what day you actually arrived in London as long as you were at the airport and ready for your transfer?

I don't 'get it'. They sold you the transfer, they have to provide what you bought. No?

They ask so that they can gauge whether or not you'll be there for a particular bus - knowing the status of your flight helps planning. It really doesn't matter to them where you're coming from, but they do like to have an idea of when...

I will ask. We are spending two days in Rome before heading to Civitavecchia and yes, I should have paid more attention to the invoice. Air and transfers through HAL were hundreds of dollars cheaper than I could find on my own and the flights times and connections are better. Well, live and learn. Or not learn. I am capable of making the same mistake more than once.

Ahh Rome - how nice:) Hal had 2 precruise hotels there last year (we didn't stay there either) but I am betting one of them wouldn't be far from you. I would call first - don't give info - just ask what their precruise hotels are this year. Then call back and select the transfer you want. Why not? it's paid for. Just tell them you bought the transfer and since you are arriving early prefer to use at it at your hotel. A cab there shouldn't be unreasonable. Otherwise, if you can find someone our your roll call to share a private transfer would be about 140-160 euros for 4:)

No condeming from me that you missed it - you just need to get it fixed:D

They ask so that they can gauge whether or not you'll be there for a particular bus - knowing the status of your flight helps planning. It really doesn't matter to them where you're coming from, but they do like to have an idea of when...

Yes, sure, that makes sense.

But pick a time. Pick the time your actual flight did arrive/is scheduled to arrive and give that as the pick up information.

Archived