Southwest Early Bird

Nadersmom

My flight from Chicago to N.O. is #36

then when going home from N.O to Chicago its flight #1814

WN36 routing is MDW-MSY-HOU (Houston Hobby)-DAL (Dallas Love Field)

WN1814 is LAX-MSY-MDW.

The good news is you have the first segment of WN36, and going home it isn't as critical. The bad news is you have flights later in the day. The aircraft has to come from somewhere (regardless of flight number). Since WN routes hopscotch across the country all day, they tend to accumulate delays towards the afternoon and evening.

WN36 routing is MDW-MSY-HOU (Houston Hobby)-DAL (Dallas Love Field)

WN1814 is LAX-MSY-MDW.

The good news is you have the first segment of WN36, and going home it isn't as critical. The bad news is you have flights later in the day. The aircraft has to come from somewhere (regardless of flight number). Since WN routes hopscotch across the country all day, they tend to accumulate delays towards the afternoon and evening.

Thanks

The flight is still in the am, though late am. But we are flying in the day before the cruise so I should be OK. Delay would just give us a little less time to explore N.O. But at least we wouldn't have to be concerned about missing the boat:D

I've never had a problem with jet noise on a 737. On a turboprop or an older jet like a DC-9 (a few years ago), sure, but I have sat near the wing of a 737 and not noticed the noise. Nor felt drafts in any seat. I like the bulkhead or emergency row for legroom (one reason to gt an early bird number, though even with that I've gotten as high as 44 and had no chance for bulkhead or emergency row). On our last WN flight, from SMF to ONT, I had a window seat and got a great, long distance view of Yosemite Valley, so noticed little else for a while. BTW, bulkhead is the first row of seats. Just one cabin, so easy to find.

I've never had a problem with jet noise on a 737. On a turboprop or an older jet like a DC-9 (a few years ago), sure, but I have sat near the wing of a 737 and not noticed the noise. Nor felt drafts in any seat. .

I don't so much feel a "draft" (i.e. I don't actually feel air blowing) when sitting in an exit row, but it is usually chillier there in general. The emergency exit just isn't as well insulated as the main body of the aircraft, so the cold from outside tends to seep in. As for noise, I'm amazed that anyone can sit near a jet engine and not notice the noise. Wow.

I really think you are all set and should now just focus on having a great vacation.

You are going in ahead of time, have selected early bird boarding and all should be good.

On disembarkation day head over to the airport, check in for the flight and you'll be all set knowing yo have a priority seat in line.

We done early bird several times and have always been pleased with our seat location.

If you did it early in the process which it sounded like you did all should be good.

Now focus on other aspects of the vacation.

Keith

I really think you are all set and should now just focus on having a great vacation.

You are going in ahead of time, have selected early bird boarding and all should be good.

On disembarkation day head over to the airport, check in for the flight and you'll be all set knowing yo have a priority seat in line.

We done early bird several times and have always been pleased with our seat location.

If you did it early in the process which it sounded like you did all should be good.

Now focus on other aspects of the vacation.

Keith

Thanks Keith. LOL Uhm...so we're clear,...when you on disembarkation day, head over and check in, you just mean check my luggage and print a boarding pass right? SW should have already checked me in while i was still on the boat.

Don't scare me man! :D

Thanks Keith. LOL Uhm...so we're clear,...when you on disembarkation day, head over and check in, you just mean check my luggage and print a boarding pass right? SW should have already checked me in while i was still on the boat.

Yes, Southwest will have already checked you in. Just check your luggage and get a boarding pass.

Yes check in the luggage and print out the boarding pass.

But you can do this at the ticket counter if you would like or at the kiosk.

Whichever is easier for you.

Keith

I don't so much feel a "draft" (i.e. I don't actually feel air blowing) when sitting in an exit row, but it is usually chillier there in general. The emergency exit just isn't as well insulated as the main body of the aircraft, so the cold from outside tends to seep in.
Also, doors do tend to leak a bit.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't so much feel a "draft" (i.e. I don't actually feel air blowing) when sitting in an exit row, but it is usually chillier there in general. The emergency exit just isn't as well insulated as the main body of the aircraft, so the cold from outside tends to seep in. As for noise, I'm amazed that anyone can sit near a jet engine and not notice the noise. Wow.

Each person is different. And what I meant to say was I didn't notice it enough to be bothered, and not appreciably more than in other rows, not that I couldn't even hear the engines. The engines aren't next to the window, but out on the wing, so the effect can be similar for a few rows. Not being flippant, since, as I noted, I have been on a plane, such as the DC-9, where the engine was in fact right outside the window, and I was certainly bothered by the noise. And turboprops, such as the ATR. I've seldom found any big difference in temp in the emergency row, and would accept that for the extra leg room, but that's individual. I've often felt more of a difference temp based on where the circulating air hits different seats than from any "leakage" through the doors. Some people notice cold in some seats if they're over certain parts of the cargo hold (noted in Stubhub, etc.).

I once got A60 with Early-Bird. Just wanted to let you know that being at the end of the "A" group can happen!

The gal sitting in the seat next to me on our flight had booked using EB and was given a B-4 assignment. We were in the A group in the high 40's. I remember when EB check in first started we were usually right behind the business class. That hasn't been the case in quite awhile for us.

It's still worth booking the EB just to avoid the frustration of having to be at the computer at the exact 24 hour mark. Even better on the way home from a cruise and not having to use the ships internet.

As someone already pointed out make sure you don't get into the express lines at the airport as they won't print your boarding pass out for you. I almost made that mistake myself.

The gal sitting in the seat next to me on our flight had booked using EB and was given a B-4 assignment. We were in the A group in the high 40's. I remember when EB check in first started we were usually right behind the business class. That hasn't been the case in quite awhile for us.

Southwest doesn't have a business class or first class cabin so not sure how you ended up seating "right behind business class." :confused:

Maybe you are thinking of some other airline that has a similar boarding process??

Southwest doesn't have a business class or first class cabin so not sure how you ended up seating "right behind business class." :confused:

Maybe you are thinking of some other airline that has a similar boarding process??

The poster most likely meant that they boarded right behind Business Select, which is a fare class on Southwest that boards before Early Bird.

The gal sitting in the seat next to me on our flight had booked using EB and was given a B-4 assignment. We were in the A group in the high 40's. I remember when EB check in first started we were usually right behind the business class. That hasn't been the case in quite awhile for us...

The boarding order for EB depends on when EB is purchased. So if EB is purchased too close to the flight date, the boarding order won't be much better than the non-EB check-ins.

The poster most likely meant that they boarded right behind Business Select, which is a fare class on Southwest that boards before Early Bird.

Yeah, you're probably right. I'm familiar with Bus Select, I just read the post as though they meant "seated behind business class."

Exactly and that section is reserved for the A 1-16 group. Despite the actual seating on the flights all being the same Southwest does recognize their business select passengers. We did book as soon as the flight schedules opened as did the couple sitting next to us. We both had purchased EB check in as well. It may be that the flight we had booked had a large amount of passengers that booked with EB as well.

Archived