can he wear this on formal night?

e71465

LOL, yes, he's going to wear a shirt, socks and dress shoes with those slacks, tie and vest! :D

Whew...

I just can't imagine what the Dress-code police would do with that one, though I did get a giggle thinking about it!:)

Whew...

I just can't imagine what the Dress-code police would do with that one, though I did get a giggle thinking about it!:)

Whew... is right! I was waiting to get bashed by this question because I know it's such a sensitive subject! :D

We were worried about him getting turned away for not wearing a jacket!

Thank you for your responses, I feel much better!!

Whew... is right! I was waiting to get bashed by this question because I know it's such a sensitive subject! :D

We were worried about him getting turned away for not wearing a jacket!

Thank you for your responses, I feel much better!!

He will be just fine. Take everything you read on these boards with a grain of salt. I am pretty sure that none of the people who post here (frequently) actually own a cruise line. Just sayin'...:);)

We're sailing with my family and my brother and step father always wear a suit but he refuses to wear one. So, I tried to think of the next best thing and this is what I came up with! He wants to wear the vest without a tie. I'm packing the tie because I think he'll change his mind.

I do take most of what some say on here with a grain of salt but I want his first cruise to be a good experience so he'll want to go on more!

We're sailing with my family and my brother and step father always wear a suit but he refuses to wear one. So, I tried to think of the next best thing and this is what I came up with! He wants to wear the vest without a tie. I'm packing the tie because I think he'll change his mind.

I do take most of what some say on here with a grain of salt but I want his first cruise to be a good experience so he'll want to go on more!

I have been accepted in the MDR on two Princess ships this year with no tie. A long sleeve dress shirt and slacks were accepted without question on formal night. I went dressed in this manner because I was told in advance that it was no problem. You may want to check with the Maitre'D before you go to be sure this is acceptable on the ship.

My husband says he won't go on the cruise that he has to take a jacket for. Guess who wins that argument! He wears a long sleeve dress shirt with a coordinating tie, with dress pants and dress shoes. He's never had any trouble.

I did see a classy look one formal night... a black LS dress shirt with a white silk tie and black dress pants. I thought it looked as formal as possible without wearing a jacket.

My husband says he won't go on the cruise that he has to take a jacket for. Guess who wins that argument! He wears a long sleeve dress shirt with a coordinating tie, with dress pants and dress shoes. He's never had any trouble.

I did see a classy look one formal night... a black LS dress shirt with a white silk tie and black dress pants. I thought it looked as formal as possible without wearing a jacket.

Thank you, like your husband he won't go if he has to wear a jacket! :mad:

I have been accepted in the MDR on two Princess ships this year with no tie. A long sleeve dress shirt and slacks were accepted without question on formal night. I went dressed in this manner because I was told in advance that it was no problem. You may want to check with the Maitre'D before you go to be sure this is acceptable on the ship.

Save me 2 seats. :p;)

simple answer is yes......and who cares if someone does not like it :eek:

So true!! He's very nervous about the formal wear so I'm trying to make it as simple as possible. I want him to have a wonderful first cruise so that he'll be as addicted as I am! :)

So true!! He's very nervous about the formal wear so I'm trying to make it as simple as possible. I want him to have a wonderful first cruise so that he'll be as addicted as I am! :)

I think this last sentence is worth repeating (and quoting). Would any of us police what guests wear in our own homes the way we police what is worn on a cruise? Of course not, because it would be inhospitable and make our guests uncomfortable and disincline them from returning. That's exactly what the fashion police do to new cruisers looking for answers on this board. Yes, we all know what the Cruise Answer Book says, but those of us who have been on recent Princess cruises also know the reality varies considerable from those guidelines. I think, in the end, we tend to scare people into spending money and dressing in a manner that discomforts them, when they most likely had something perfectly acceptable already in their closet.

Here's my 2 cents. We have decided to do 1 of the formal nights on our upcoming cruise because we are travelling with 4 new cruisers and we wanted them (and they wanted to) have the whole experience. We are flying from western Canada so luggage is an issue for us along with the fact that we have 5 days in Key West first. It'a just is NOT physically possible for DH to fit the jacket in his luggage and then have to have it pressed before he can wear it. It's a space and weight issue. He already needs to pack the extra shoes he'll only wear once in 12 days etc. He has his pants from his suit, super nice shirt and his tie. I figure, if that's not good enough for the powers that be in the MDR then we'll be the best dressed people at the buffet. Back in the day when you could carry a suit bag along with regular luggage and not have to pay a huge fee to the airline then he did bring his jacket but those days have changed due to the airline money grab that is checked baggage. JMO ;)

Archived