Beverage Card - Wine Navigator Package?

cigloo

We buy the $250 Beverage Cards -- it saves you $10.

I like the card as it means that I do not have to keep track of all those slips of paper when it is time to check my bill. Each time you use the card, they give you a receipt showing how much you have spent (including the grauity) and how much you have left on the card. I just keep the present recceipt and when we order drinks, I throw out the old slip.

Once we ordered the Wine Navigator package -- we are not big wine drinkers. We had pre-ordered the package and once on the ship we were told that a couple of the wines listed on the package were not available. And there were no substitutions. Fortunately for us the wine we liked was still available. I read here where this has happened to others as well. So you would be better off to wait until you are on the ship and ask your dining room steward if all the wines listed for the package are available.

I think Kk meant that she saved 10% with the $250 beverage card (it costs $250). The $100 one only saves you $5 but it does make your record keeping easy.

You can use the beverage card to purchase a wine package if you like BUT if you are 3 or 4 star - you are better off to use your room card to purchase as you save 25% and 50% respectively:):)

I think Kk meant that she saved 10% with the $250 beverage card (it costs $250). The $100 one only saves you $5 but it does make your record keeping easy.

You can use the beverage card to purchase a wine package if you like BUT if you are 3 or 4 star - you are better off to use your room card to purchase as you save 25% and 50% respectively:):)

whoa - I just saw a big typo - sorry - the $250 beverage card costs $225!!:o:o so a 10% savings - sorry about that (rule #1 never post before you have had two cups of coffee;))

Here is the current list of the various Beverage cards:

$50.00 Beverage Card cost $50.00 (No discount)

$50.00 Non-Alcoholic Beverage Card cost $50.00 (No Discount)

$100.00 Beverage Card cost $95.00 (Save $5)

$250 Beverage Card cost $225 (Save $25)

$50.00 Soda Card cost $25.00

The soda card costs $25 but has a face value of $50. Each time you buy a soda with it $2.24 ($1.95 + 15%) is deducted from the value. $50/$2.24 = 22 cans, with $0.72 left over. You can use that $0.72 with $1.52 on your room key card (or another soda card) to get another can. BUT -- on some ships they are only giving you fountain soda -- about 6 ounces per drink -- this is not a good deal. Some ships -- some bars will give you the can and other bars it will only be the fountain drink. You need to ask before you use the card.

On the Zuiderdam, 4 weeks ago, the Wines in the Navigator's Choice package were:

White

Robert Mondavi Private Selection Riesling, CA

Danzante Pinot Grigio, Italy

Caliterra Chardonnay, Chile

Toasted Head Chardonnay, CA

Nobilo Sauvignon Blanc. New Zealand

Red

Ravenswood Zinfandel, CA

Frescobaldi Remole, Italy

Three Blind Moose Cabernet Sauvignon, CA

Alice WHite Shiraz, Australia

Errazuriz Merlot, Chile

Diseno Malbec, Argentina

Laboure-Roi Pinot Noir, France

We drink reds, always buy the Navigator Package as there are two selections that we drink all the time. At least in the reds, the selection has not changed much if at all, in the past three years. Barbara

Here is the current list of the various Beverage cards:

$50.00 Beverage Card cost $50.00 (No discount)

$50.00 Non-Alcoholic Beverage Card cost $50.00 (No Discount)

$100.00 Beverage Card cost $95.00 (Save $5)

$250 Beverage Card cost $225 (Save $25)

$50.00 Soda Card cost $25.00

The soda card costs $25 but has a face value of $50. Each time you buy a soda with it $2.24 ($1.95 + 15%) is deducted from the value. $50/$2.24 = 22 cans, with $0.72 left over. You can use that $0.72 with $1.52 on your room key card (or another soda card) to get another can. BUT -- on some ships they are only giving you fountain soda -- about 6 ounces per drink -- this is not a good deal. Some ships -- some bars will give you the can and other bars it will only be the fountain drink. You need to ask before you use the card.

Does anyone know if the Noordam is giving cans or fountain drinks? Makes a big difference to us since we don't like fountain drinks.

Also probably a stupid question, but do 3 star Mariners get a discount on buying liqour for the room? Don't think so but thought I would ask the experts. :)

Does anyone know if the Noordam is giving cans or fountain drinks? Makes a big difference to us since we don't like fountain drinks.

Also probably a stupid question, but do 3 star Mariners get a discount on buying liqour for the room? Don't think so but thought I would ask the experts. :)

3 and 4 star Mariners do get a discount for alcohol bought for the cabin.

NOW -- you do get a discount on items that you purchase from the mini bar in your cabin -- if there is one in your cabin.

You really won't know how the Noordam will handle the coke cards until you get on the ship. So you want to wait until you get on the ship to buy the card. If they tell you that the coke cards will only be used for fountain drinks -- then don;t buy one. You can still buy cans of soda using your ID/Room card.

This is incorrect. You cannot use the beverage card to buy a wine package. You can use it to buy a single bottle.

That is what I thought as well.

I knew that we could buy bottles of wine with the Beverage Cards but I thought that I had read here where you could not buy any of the packages with the card.

Thanks for confirming this for me.

On the Zuiderdam, 4 weeks ago, the Wines in the Navigator's Choice package were:

White

Robert Mondavi Private Selection Riesling, CA

Danzante Pinot Grigio, Italy

Caliterra Chardonnay, Chile

Toasted Head Chardonnay, CA

Nobilo Sauvignon Blanc. New Zealand

Red

Ravenswood Zinfandel, CA

Frescobaldi Remole, Italy

Three Blind Moose Cabernet Sauvignon, CA

Alice WHite Shiraz, Australia

Errazuriz Merlot, Chile

Diseno Malbec, Argentina

Laboure-Roi Pinot Noir, France

We drink reds, always buy the Navigator Package as there are two selections that we drink all the time. At least in the reds, the selection has not changed much if at all, in the past three years. Barbara

Thanks for the update.

We bought the 3 bottle Navigator's wine package for our Amsterdam Alaskan cruise in 2011. The white wines have changed. Wish I could remember what one we got as I don't see it on the list.

NOW -- you do get a discount on items that you purchase from the mini bar in your cabin -- if there is one in your cabin.

You really won't know how the Noordam will handle the coke cards until you get on the ship. So you want to wait until you get on the ship to buy the card. If they tell you that the coke cards will only be used for fountain drinks -- then don;t buy one. You can still buy cans of soda using your ID/Room card.

Thanks KK, like anyone else we like a bargain so if they don't give you the cans I think we will just buy them before we board at the store and send them to the room. Regarding the liqour, do I need to buy them once we get on the ship? I knnow anytime I have bought things in advance that qualify for the discount (Pinnacle, etc.) they say they are not able to process the discount.

So..... if you are a 3 or 4 star mariner you get a discount on pre-ordered bottles of booze for your cabin? I had not heard that before. Is it the same discount as the mini-bar?

I just called HAL Marinar Society to ask if the discount applies to bottles of liqour purchased and it does not. It only applies to wine packages and the mini bar. :( Oh well it was worth a try!

Just by the way you worded the second sentence, I think you may have meant to say "3 and 4 star Mariners do not get a discount for alcohol bought for the cabin." in your first sentence. Because they do not. Unless something has changed in the last couple days. Am I right?

Once we ordered the Wine Navigator package -- we are not big wine drinkers. We had pre-ordered the package and once on the ship we were told that a couple of the wines listed on the package were not available. And there were no substitutions.

We had no trouble getting substitutions for out-of-stock wines in the package on the Ryndam in April - our wine steward even suggested them. THe first time, he went to get our choice, came back with the info that it was out-of-stock, but brought two bottles different ones) with him (not included in the pkg) and offered us our choice.

Just by the way you worded the second sentence, I think you may have meant to say "3 and 4 star Mariners do not get a discount for alcohol bought for the cabin." in your first sentence. Because they do not. Unless something has changed in the last couple days. Am I right?

Right -- sometimes I type too fast and I know I should proof read.

It would be great if we 4 star Mariners did get a discount on alcohol for the cabins -- but it will never happen.

Remember when we used to be able to buy the Duty Free bottles and take them back to the cabin? Those were the days.

We had no trouble getting substitutions for out-of-stock wines in the package on the Ryndam in April - our wine steward even suggested them. THe first time, he went to get our choice, came back with the info that it was out-of-stock, but brought two bottles different ones) with him (not included in the pkg) and offered us our choice.

We weren't offered any substitutions.

I think it really depends on who your wine steward is.

Some are good and some are just so-so.

We weren't offered any substitutions.

I think it really depends on who your wine steward is.

Some are good and some are just so-so.

And he was excellent - as well as writing, producing, directing and starring in the Phillipino crew show!

I am wondering what kind of discount you get, if any, by ordering the Navigator or Admiral wine package? Do you save any money, or is it just as cheap to order individual bottles of wine on board?

Archived