Silly Question...

languageartslady

To me it sounds almost like 'dumb'. :)

That is probably the best "sounding out" way to describe "dam" - the a is short in Dutch (and German) whereas when English speakers say dam the a is a long sound.

Not much of a problem as long as I am on a "dam" ship!!

English speakers will use "dam" but if you listen closely, the Dutch officers will say "dohm"

I guess because I started cruising with Holland America just a couple of years after returning from living and working in Germany for several years I defaulted to the Dutch "dohm" pronunciation rather than the English "dam". However, when I say things like "All Holland America ship names end in "dam"." I pronounce it like the English. If asked what was my first Holland America ship I say the Ryndam which I pronounce "Rhine-dohm", not "Rhine-dam". Hmmmm...... :o:)

I guess because I started cruising with Holland America just a couple of years after returning from living and working in Germany for several years I defaulted to the Dutch "dohm" pronunciation rather than the English "dam". However, when I say things like "All Holland America ship names end in "dam"." I pronounce it like the English. If asked what was my first Holland America ship I say the Ryndam which I pronounce "Rhine-dohm", not "Rhine-dam". Hmmmm...... :o:)

I spent two years in Germany in my early teens and to this day still use German pronunciation and European spelling for cities.

....Yet I've heard Dutch Officers refer to Ryndam as "Rheeeen dohm". They don't say Rhine the way we who

have English as our first language do. :o

....Yet I've heard Dutch Officers refer to Ryndam as "Rheeeen dohm". They don't say Rhine the way we who

have English as our first language do. :o

The Germans pronounce it "Rhine" not "Rheen", most probably a difference between German and Dutch. Of course, then again I'm used to mostly one dialect, one of the more or less seven major branches and not the branch that is most closely related to Dutch.

Archived