Special Fare Question

languageartslady

I am booked on the Westerdam cruise leaving on 11/25. I am happy with my room... but I of course keep checking the prices. There is currently a "special fare" for a Guaranteed Verandah for only $10 more than what I paid.

If I did want to switch to that (instead of my overlarge K inside room), would they let me? Or no, because I'm already booked so they don't offer the Special Fare to existing passengers?

Anyone know?

Thanks, everyone.

I am truly debating... I'm in the oversized K room on Deck 1... would all Verandahs be better, so it makes sense to ask, or could I end up in a worse room?

Of course, I know a verandah is quite an upgrade, but still. The K is bigger than many of the verandahs!

Thoughts on that?

Doesn't really matter for the moment, since their site is down currently... :)

I am truly debating... I'm in the oversized K room on Deck 1... would all Verandahs be better, so it makes sense to ask, or could I end up in a worse room?

One of the main Deck K's? Ooooo. I love the size of those cabins.

But having your own porch is great, too.

You would be going from a shower-only to a tub w/shower. Does that matter to you? Also, when you give up the shower, you give up a larger vanity.

Is location a consideration? The K-cabins are quite far aft. That can be a long walk home at night.

Me? The cave dweller? On this class of ship, I'd go for the balcony.

Thanks, everyone.

Of course, I know a verandah is quite an upgrade, but still. The K is bigger than many of the verandahs!

Thoughts on that?

Doesn't really matter for the moment, since their site is down currently... :)

YOu have to choose which you want more.

Just because I'd take any veranda vs size room doesn't mean you want to.

Perfect for me is a large room with big veranda.

Next best for me is any veranda. :)

This is a choice only you can make for yourself.

One of the main Deck K's? Ooooo. I love the size of those cabins.

But having your own porch is great, too.

You would be going from a shower-only to a tub w/shower. Does that matter to you? Also, when you give up the shower, you give up a larger vanity.

Is location a consideration? The K-cabins are quite far aft. That can be a long walk home at night.

Me? The cave dweller? On this class of ship, I'd go for the balcony.

Yes! I was so excited to get the room I'm in... I was a bit worried about the current location, since I can sometimes tend to seasickness (due to vibration, not movement), but I have reconciled myself to that.

I've only had a balcony once ever (I'm super cheap! or maybe frugal is a better term...) so that would be really fun. A smaller vanity probably wouldn't matter too much. I think? I don't know.

A tub might be fun on a ship! A very bizarre experience!

Another issue is I'm traveling with another cabin, so as of now, we're close, but if we both move to a guarantee, we might end up somewhere far apart.

Oh, decisions, decisions!!

Thank you, RuthC for your help! I appreciate your thoughts. I guess I need to go and actually talk to my fellow travelers. They usually don't have much input (I'm the planner! I tell them when and where to show up and they do) but maybe they can help me make a firm decision.

I spent 32 days on Oosterdam in an OV cabin. I spent 14 days on Westerdam on a Main deck K that I got as a gty. Both of those cruises were solo. when I booked our Nieuw Amsterdam Med cruise, 24 days, with my sister, I chose the same inside K for the space. Of course, I couldn't afford the verandah, but told my TA no upgrade unless a full suite. I wanted the space. We loved it. EM

Okay, I called, and the wonderfully nice lady (and I would have said that before she did what I wanted!) went and talked to her manager, and he approved me moving both groups to the verandah guarantee!

I am a little sad to be losing those huge K rooms... but I'm excited to have a balcony again!

Now... I will be anxiously awaiting the actual room assignment... anyone have any idea when that would be? I know they say anytime, but when did you get yours?

Thanks for the advice!

Okay, I called, and the wonderfully nice lady (and I would have said that before she did what I wanted!) went and talked to her manager, and he approved me moving both groups to the verandah guarantee!

I am a little sad to be losing those huge K rooms... but I'm excited to have a balcony again!

Now... I will be anxiously awaiting the actual room assignment... anyone have any idea when that would be? I know they say anytime, but when did you get yours?

Thanks for the advice!

Wonderful to hear - congratulations:D:D

Room assignments for guarantees usually happen at the earliest within a 3 week window of sailing. 10 days seems to be the average but it could be later and it could be earlier;)

Once you get within a month of sailing just check your on express docs site and once the cabin is assigned it will show up:D

Have a feeling that this cruise has one heck of a lot of guarantees (it's still on sale) so it will probably take some time to get them all assigned!

Wonderful to hear - congratulations:D:D

Room assignments for guarantees usually happen at the earliest within a 3 week window of sailing. 10 days seems to be the average but it could be later and it could be earlier;)

Once you get within a month of sailing just check your on express docs site and once the cabin is assigned it will show up:D

Have a feeling that this cruise has one heck of a lot of guarantees (it's still on sale) so it will probably take some time to get them all assigned!

Every category (almost) you choose is offering only guarantees... so that makes sense that it'd take them awhile. Hopefully they'll start assigning EARLY and I can see where I've landed. I have never done a guarantee before. I am the type who books way in advance and chooses my room after much deliberation.

This is a new (and slightly scary!) experience!

Maybe I'll even get an UPGRADE?? Who can tell. I'm excited to go on a cruise, to be honest, so at this point, I am just happy it's getting so close!

Thanks!

Yippee! I am sure you won't be sorry.

But, just in case you are---go knock on the K-cabin door, and ask the occupants if they want to switch! I'm sure they'll be willing to help you out. ;)

But, just in case you are---go knock on the K-cabin door, and ask the occupants if they want to switch! I'm sure they'll be willing to help you out. ;)

you are baaaaaaaaaaaaad:):) LOL:D:D

That's hilarious! I should totally do that, and tell them that RuthC said they wouldn't mind, so move! I'm sure they would be happy to then, if they weren't already willing!

:)

Good for you. Here is a good thing to keep in mind. Your travel agent or you if you are booking direct with HAL may be able to negotiate an "upsell", a better cabin for not that much money. Best time, if there is a best time to try this, is a week or two before your cruise. I have upgraded, using an upsell, to the largest suite (except for the penthouse) at a very reasonable additional price. :)

Good for you. Here is a good thing to keep in mind. Your travel agent or you if you are booking direct with HAL may be able to negotiate an "upsell", a better cabin for not that much money. Best time, if there is a best time to try this, is a week or two before your cruise. I have upgraded, using an upsell, to the largest suite (except for the penthouse) at a very reasonable additional price. :)

Thanks! I book direct, so I will have to keep an eye on it... I generally do, but since right now I don't know where my cabin will be? I'm totally going to be constantly checking! Didn't think to try for an upsell, though...

Thanks for the suggestion!

If you want the upsell, check your email at least twice a day from about three weeks out. And be prepared to phone immediately and secure what you want. A fast response matters.

Oh, that sounds stressful! At least after moving us to the guarantee, all my fellow travelers told me to figure it out and they'll show up. Saves time over having to discuss everything!

Thanks for all the advice. I am going to be paying close attention to our bookings.

:)

Archived