Not the same "quality" of cruising

jeschwartz82

I have, so far, only cruised on CCL. While my first 2 cruises were wonderful, and service was outstanding, both of my cruises this year have left much to be desired. The quality of food was not at all what I remember from prior cruises. I don’t know if this has something to do with Carnival’s new menus or just a general deterioration in quality. The service was … well, it was pretty bad to be honest. On our last cruise, there were 2 days out of 7 where the room steward never came at all. When he did, our Carnival towels were removed from the room and when we called to ask about having them replaced or returned we were told to call room service *click*. Beers also went missing from the minifridge, but were returned before the end of the sailing. The bar servers up on the open decks were actually very aggressive and sometimes even rude. I asked once for water (I had already purchased several drinks, mind you) and was told to go to the bar and get it myself.

I find myself wondering if my expectations have changed, or, has the experience changed? Either way, we are, for the first time, looking at other cruise lines for our next trip.

My first cruise on Carnival was in 1996. It was amazing. The quality of food and service was fantastic. I was hooked. I have been on 27 cruises since. But as many others have stated, the experience has gone downhill. Don't get me wrong, it is still great to go on a cruise. But to be honest, it is not what it was. The quality of the food is the main complaint for me. Alot of folks will say that the price is lower than it has ever been, and that is probably true. But I would be willing to pay more for a return to the finer experience that it once was. Try Royal Caribbean. It is a bit more expensive, but you get what you pay for. The ships are much more elegant and the fodd is better, especially with the new menus.

I think it's good to try other lines. Bear in mind that the quality of most things has gone down over the last 5 - 6 years. While Chili's was never a top of the line restaurant in my opinion, several years ago I felt I could get a decent meal there. About 8 months ago we went and I was very disappointed in the food. Won't eat there again. Very few things have gone down or remained the same price with better or equal quality, just saying.

Definitely think it is time to move on...I wouldn't hesitate if I had the kind of experience that you have related. I would have been very vocal and would have made sure my steward was fired if a room wasn't made up on two separate days....even when I was sick on board the steward came in, checked on me, and helped me get a full meal from room service. And even though food is subjective if you don't like it don't go on Carnival...and if the staff was rude a letter to Carnival is worth lots more than complaining on an online site where you may get sympathy but nothing else.

I agree with the OP. There is most definitely a decline in quality on Carnival. We sail 3 times a year mainly on Carnival (19 cruises on Carnival) but the prices on some other lines recently are actually lower for similar sailings and cabin catagories so we have ventured elsewhere for next year.Throughout the years we have tried other lines-RCCL, NCL, Disney etc. and always come "home" to Carnival because it was a better value and quality cruise. Now it's no longer our "home". I am hoping Carnival reads these boards and notes all the unhappiness. Many things like quality of service and morale among crew members are easy things to fix and don't require any money just better attitudes.

I would have called to complain the first time the steward didnt do your room. That is totally unacceptable.

Overall we find the service to be very good but do miss some of the niceties we used to get like flaming desserts and having servers who had time to speak to the guests.

I agree with the OP. There is most definitely a decline in quality on Carnival. We sail 3 times a year mainly on Carnival (19 cruises on Carnival) but the prices on some other lines recently are actually lower for similar sailings and cabin catagories so we have ventured elsewhere for next year.Throughout the years we have tried other lines-RCCL, NCL, Disney etc. and always come "home" to Carnival because it was a better value and quality cruise. Now it's no longer our "home". I am hoping Carnival reads these boards and notes all the unhappiness. Many things like quality of service and morale among crew members are easy things to fix and don't require any money just better attitudes.

Quality of service is definitely affected when the ratio of staff to passengers changes. A large ship with double occupancy travels full with about 3800 passengers, and a crew of about 1300 (I believe). But, on many sailings the actually passenger count may increase to almost 5000 if rooms are booked to capacity and there are a lot of children around. Staff is then having to do the same job for lots more peeps and things get more crowded in the eating areas, staff has to make lots more beds, bar servers may have lots more people wanting beverages, etc. etc.

I have a favorite restaurant at home which I go to once a week...if the clientele is normal I get great service and maybe even some perks, if they are full to the gills with some demanding customers my service won't be up to par and my coffee cup may sit empty a little longer.

Since cruise lines, like 90% of the rest of the economy, has had to cut costs and human resources is usually the first to get hit. I am sure that Carnival hopes everyone of their employees will do their best but sometimes its a bit harder to give the same service and to stretch themselves far enough. And, not to beat a dead horse, but I haven't read about any cruise line being able to offer the same passenger/staff ratio they once did unless said passengers are paying through the nose for that service.

Definitely think it is time to move on...I wouldn't hesitate if I had the kind of experience that you have related. I would have been very vocal and would have made sure my steward was fired if a room wasn't made up on two separate days....even when I was sick on board the steward came in' date=' checked on me, and helped me get a full meal from room service. And even though food is subjective if you don't like it don't go on Carnival...and if the staff was rude a letter to Carnival is worth lots more than complaining on an online site where you may get sympathy but nothing else.[/quote']

we did speak to guest services during the cruise and wrote an email to carnival upon our return. sadly, the issue was not addressed on the cruise and that is when things started disappearing, like the towels - at that point we kind of just gave up. it wasnt worth the fight. it was our honeymoon and we were going to make the best of it regardless. we also filled out the survey we received via email a few days after we got home.

we did speak to guest services during the cruise and wrote an email to carnival upon our return. sadly, the issue was not addressed on the cruise and that is when things started disappearing, like the towels - at that point we kind of just gave up. it wasnt worth the fight. it was our honeymoon and we were going to make the best of it regardless. we also filled out the survey we received via email a few days after we got home.

I would have reduced the amount of the tip and hopefully that would at least get the attention of the steward for the future.

This is definitely not the norm.

Maybe I've been lucky :) Our last cruise on the Liberty, was fantastic! Our MDR waiter was wonderful. Made it a point to show my kids magic tricks, always chatted with us, and was very personable. Our room steward, although "ninja" (rarely saw him), our cabin was kept spotless, beach towels were always changed.

I have never thought Carnival food to be "great", but I always find something tasty and good to eat - as did the rest of my family.

I know there have been some "meh" reviews of the Liberty lately - and with cause. I just know my experience has always been positive.

I am trying the NCL Epic next year, so I've been reading the NCL boards as well. People complain about the service and food over there too.

I always approach a cruise as a wonderul adventure, it will not be perfect (what is?), but I set the intention of having a good time, and so I do!

I would have called to complain the first time the steward didnt do your room. That is totally unacceptable.

Overall we find the service to be very good but do miss some of the niceties we used to get like flaming desserts and having servers who had time to speak to the guests.

It sounds so obvious, but I talked to the cabin steward and expected the next night for things to get done .. but they didnt. I must be stupid because it wasnt until the 3rd time that he was giving excuses that I finally went over his head.

We were ready for bed when we went to the cabin.. and it wasnt turned down, so I said .. ok tomorrow.. and expected it to get done.

My one bad cabin steward.. happened to be conquest.. but since I do conquest a lot, I guess its not too surprising which ship.

I have, so far, only cruised on CCL. While my first 2 cruises were wonderful, and service was outstanding, both of my cruises this year have left much to be desired. The quality of food was not at all what I remember from prior cruises. I don’t know if this has something to do with Carnival’s new menus or just a general deterioration in quality. The service was … well, it was pretty bad to be honest. On our last cruise, there were 2 days out of 7 where the room steward never came at all. When he did, our Carnival towels were removed from the room and when we called to ask about having them replaced or returned we were told to call room service *click*. Beers also went missing from the minifridge, but were returned before the end of the sailing. The bar servers up on the open decks were actually very aggressive and sometimes even rude. I asked once for water (I had already purchased several drinks, mind you) and was told to go to the bar and get it myself.

I find myself wondering if my expectations have changed, or, has the experience changed? Either way, we are, for the first time, looking at other cruise lines for our next trip.

I wouldn't allow that state of affairs to last past 5:00 pm. We'll start with housekeeping, then guest services, finally the hotel manager. I've never encountered any problems of that nature, it is not typical. I'd remove my tips and detail why with management. Maybe an inexperienced steward? All of mine have been tops on both CCL and Royal.

I do agree, and even though I haven't cruised in over 3 years (cannot believe it has been that long!), just from the reviews I have read, things have gone downhill.

I did not love my RCCL cruise. Well....that's not true. I did enjoy the ship and the ports we went to. I did not enjoy the dining room food, and to me, that's a HUGE part of cruising. It was flat-out terrible. That said, the "everything else" on their mega ships is enough to off-set mediocre or even poor food, so I think our next cruise will be on one of the Oasis-class beasts with DH's extended family.

After we get that one out of the way, I would like to go to Celebrity or NCL just to see what else is out there. I have a feeling I would enjoy just about any cruise I go on, but I may be finished with Carnival for the time being.

It only takes one bad experience, or even a less than usually good experience to make a person feel like trying the competition. My neighborhood pizzaria, that I patronized for many years recently delivered me a pizza that was burnt underneath, and and barely cooked on top. When I called them to come and take it back, and bring a properly cooked one, they said, "no can do....YOU bring it back!" We ordered delivery for a reason, no car,and therefore we were stuck with a really bad pizza! I have never ordered from them ever again. Both because of the bad pizza and the rude person on the phone! Discovered a new place which is sooooo much better!

So, one bad or even not great experience can influence a person to try a competitor, be it pizza place, airline or cruise line. I hope some day to cruise on Carnival again, but first I need to try a different line. Maybe I will be back or maybe I wont, will just have to see how the competition does.

The food definately tastes better when your server has spent a moment with you. When they "drop" it off, the personalizing isn't there and you look at your plate and say "oh".

Wow, our steward was in our room at least twice, sometimes three times a day.

It was my first time cruising and I had no idea what to expect but I was pleasantly surprised. I know the waiters weren't always pleased when I declined a drink but I don't drink alcohol, I limit my sugar intake due to diabetes, and we brought a few sodas on board but they just hurt my stomach and make me incredibly bloated. We did spend a few bucks on some virgin daquiris as a treat and were always very polite but did get some eye rolling from servers.

Does anyone know if they make a commission on selling drinks? Or is it just the grats they are after?

Wow, our steward was in our room at least twice, sometimes three times a day.

It was my first time cruising and I had no idea what to expect but I was pleasantly surprised. I know the waiters weren't always pleased when I declined a drink but I don't drink alcohol, I limit my sugar intake due to diabetes, and we brought a few sodas on board but they just hurt my stomach and make me incredibly bloated. We did spend a few bucks on some virgin daquiris as a treat and were always very polite but did get some eye rolling from servers.

Does anyone know if they make a commission on selling drinks? Or is it just the grats they are after?

Similar to the waiters and room stewards-- Bar waiters paid a small allowance and tips. They each get a portion of the Bottomless Bubbles and now the 'All You Can Drink' card gratuities. Bartenders rotate locations every so often to even it out. Not too sure if the waiters do, I assume they do.

I do not like the new menu. Carnival are you listening?

It's not that the food is bad, but it no longer seems appropriate to the traditional cruise fare in a Main Dining Room. It is just not as good.

It is too bad that the economy is in such bad shape... everyone seems to be lowering quality and service... not only on our cruises. The lines have to fill the ships with what the customer can afford... and most of us can't afford as much as we once did. Those with the bucks go to the more luxe lines.

Sorry you had this happen. DW and I are Platinum on CCL (16 cruises) and our last cruise 09/12 on Fascination, while OK, was just so-so. We have booked NCL for next year, mainly to try something different. We will still book CCL for right itinerary, date, and $$$, but they are no longer our go to line.

BTW, we also like RCI, Platinum there as well.

Similar to the waiters and room stewards-- Bar waiters paid a small allowance and tips. They each get a portion of the Bottomless Bubbles and now the 'All You Can Drink' card gratuities. Bartenders rotate locations every so often to even it out. Not too sure if the waiters do, I assume they do.

LOL Sadie, I'm in Ontario, CANADA, the one WITHOUT the palm trees! :D

There is a huge difference between Carnival and Princess. We always sail with Princess; this past April we did a cruise on the Legend out of Tampa. It was horrible...food was terrible except for the wonderful reuben sandwiches which we ate every day. Breakfast was so bad...atmosphere was dreary, they pushed the drinks at every turn, little children in the whirlpool unsupervised and the staff did not care. All in all, we thought we would never again take a carnival cruise, but never say never.

We were intrigued by the excellent rates and hopefully promise of a newly refurbished ship on the Sunshine so we booked a mediterranean cruise out of Venice for April, 2013. Booked a suite so we shall see. Suite prices oncarnival do not compare to those on princess so here we go!!

eclue:o

The food definately tastes better when your server has spent a moment with you. When they "drop" it off, the personalizing isn't there and you look at your plate and say "oh".

Actually no. Never had a problem with the food. Just think that some years ago cruising was more elegant.

Now to cut costs lots of things have gone by the wayside.

Actually no. Never had a problem with the food. Just think that some years ago cruising was more elegant.

Now to cut costs lots of things have gone by the wayside.

I too don't really have a "problem" with the food either, but I find less to rave about these days. I always looked forward to seeing the menu, and ordering something that I would not have the opportunity to enjoy were I not on the cruise. Last cruise, there was a lot less excitement getting that first look at the menu.

Instead of "Ah...!" there was more "Oh..." :(

It is the food and the presentation that is part of cruising... part of the experience. I enjoy making friends and joking with the servers... but now you feel guilty taking an extra 15 seconds saying hello because you know they are so rushed. If they take that away from the cruise experience I think they lose the allure of cruising.

Archived