San Diego--Pre-embarkation Questions

BassettMom

My flight gets in at 9:30 am on embarkation day. I know that getting from the airport to the ship only takes a couple of minutes, so assuming the wait to get checked luggage, I would guess that we would be at the port between 10:30 and 11:00. I'm travelling with a friend/co-worker and (since we are both women--sexist comment, I know :D) we will have the maximum amount of luggage allowed by the airlines. Our plan is to take a taxi to the port.

We have a few questions for those who are experienced with San Diego and Holland America's embarkation.

1. Is there someplace on the way we can get a case of bottled water? (And before anyone says the water on the ship is fine, I agree, but we would like to take water on our excursions and getting a case for the two of us makes sense instead of paying by the bottle).

2. How long will we have to wait at the port before we are allowed to embark? I've read that we'll be issued a group number and will board when they call that number and wondered if the group number we'll get is based on "first come, first served" or by priority (where frequent cruisers will embark first while the rest of us waits).

3. I've also read recommendations about going to the dining room for lunch, but if we can't board till after 1:00, how can we do that?

Any suggestions or hints for San Diego embarkation day would be appreciated.

When you can board is up to cruise line policy. So that will determine your other choices.

If you are talking about the Holland America cruise in your signature, HAL starts boarding around 11:30.

The dining room is usually only for repeat cruisers at lunch time on sailaway day.

Edited by CruiserBruce

I don't know if Holland America's procedures are different from those of Carnival . IF they are similar then you will get your boarding group number as first come first served BUT with wedding groups and high priority previous cruisers going first. The other groups go after that in order of arrival. We generally get to the port around 11ish and are on board by noon.

There is a Rite Aid pharmacy not far from the port.

It sells water/wine/booze etc.

To see it on a map Google Rite Aid downtown San Diego.

I'm a Basset mom too!! We have Bailey and Tilie.

There is a Ralph's grocery store a few blocks from the port. A taxi driver would know what street it is on. There used to be a small convenience store ont he street behind Embassy Suites, but I'm not sure it is still there.

Last year on Celebrity we were allowed inside the port building around 10:30, went thru Security about 11:00, checked in and were on the ship by Noon.

Tail Wags!!:)

You should be able to check your bags about the time you get to the pier. If you cannot yet check in or board, then you can easily walk over to the Rite Aid pharmacy, which is four short blocks (Ash and Kettner) to buy water. The Ralph's supermarket is about 10-12 blocks, and a long walk.

You might also consider touring the USS Midway or some of the boats that are part of the San Diego Maritime museum if you want to do something before checking onto the ship. Anthony's is a basic seafood restaurant next to the ship's pier, and you could get lunch there instead of dealing with the crush of the buffet on the ship. I have never seen HAL have their dining room open for lunch on embarkation day...only the buffet on the Lido.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, BassettMom! Suggestion: Instead of buying bottled water to take on excursions, there's a less expensive, more eco-friendly alternative: Buy reusable bottles (stainless steel or BPA-free plastic), wide-mouthed enough to put ice cubes in, then fill them in your stateroom before disembarking. At REI other and camping/outdoor stores, you can get bottles with neoprene insulating sleeves to keep them cool, and carrying cases with straps so you can tote them hands-free.

See you at our M&G if we don't somehow spot one another before then! Looking forward.

• 2 weeks later...

Cruised out of San Diego last April and it is my favorite port to cruise out of. We flew in the day before and got up real early in the morning and walked down to the port to watch the ship come in. Then we went and had breakfast, went back to our hotel and took the shuttle at 11am to the pier. Dropped our luggage off and walked right into the building to get our sail and sign card which took about 10 minutes. We were in our bathing suits with a cold drink in our hands, laying on deck chairs before noon.

I ALWAYS bring my own water. Just got off RCCL a week ago and the water was yellow, no thanks I'll bring my own.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions and information on the Rite-Aid and Ralphs! We'll have the taxi driver stop since neither of us wants to carry anything back (along with our carryons) and it would be silly to get another taxi when we'll already be in one. And once I'm on the ship, I'm not going to get off (except to visit ports) till they make me at the other end of this cruise:D!

If you are talking about the Holland America cruise in your signature, HAL starts boarding around 11:30.

The dining room is usually only for repeat cruisers at lunch time on sailaway day.

Yes, I'm referring to the HAL Panama Canal cruise. We are both repeat cruisers with HAL (but not 4-star or priority anything). Just not sure how we could go to lunch in the dining room if we can't get on board early enough to attend.

I'm a Basset mom too!! We have Bailey and Tilie. Tail Wags!!:)

I used to have two bassets also: DaisyMae and Fred--unfortunately DaisyMae went to the rainbow bridge earlier this year, so now it's just my "Freddy Bear." I love my basset babyies! Tail Wags to you too :D.

• 4 years later...
Anthony's is a basic seafood restaurant next to the ship's pier, and you could get lunch there instead of dealing with the crush of the buffet on the ship.

I realize that this an older thread, but just wanted to add an update to Anthony's fans such as ourselves. DW and I are from San Diego and have been going to Anthony's Fish Grotto on the Embarcadero for more than 50 years. :) Sadly, this San Diego landmark restaurant closed on January 31st, 2017 and will be replaced by a Brigantine restaurant. :cool:

Never heard of Brigantine. Why type of restaurant is it? (Just went on their website - looks like a chain seafood restaurant.)

Roz

Edited by Roz

Never heard of Brigantine. Why type of restaurant is it? (Just went on their website - looks like a chain seafood restaurant.)

Roz

Yes, chain Steak and Seafood place. There are others in the San Diego area and we've eaten there a few times. It's a decent restaurant, but nothing to rave about in our opinion.

We really hated to see Anthony's go though!

I usually stay at the Hampton Inn on Pacific Hwy., and several times I've walked over to Anthony's and had a nice dinner while watching the sun set over the bay. I also liked the little Fishette take out place they had. One time I got a paper cone full of fried calamari and brought it back with me to the hotel, stinking up the hotel lobby and elevator in the process. :D

Roz

The end of an era in San Diego with Anthony's closing!

They lost their lease with the Port District early last year. It opened in 1946, and I have eaten there with my family my entire life since 1952. My father worked at Convair/General Dynamics and often had lunch there. When you could still get abalone, theirs was the best in San Diego. The Ghio family still has an Anthony's in La Mesa, but the location on the Embarcadero will be torn down completely and replaced by a Brigantine, which is a local chain. Their food is OK, but it won't have the personal touch of the old Anthony's. The Brigantine is expected to be opened sometime in mid-2018.

A good option for a meal on the Embarcadero is the Carnitas Crab Shack, which is just south of the cruise ship terminal before you get to the USS Midway.

Thank you for the recommendation on the Crab Shack. I'll be cruising from San Diego again next February.

Roz

Where are you heading next Feb? We're sailing HAL's Oosterdam to the Mexican Riviera from San Diego in Sep this year... very excited! :)

Yes, same ship and itinerary. Leaving Feb. 4, 2018. I did this same cruise on the Oosterdam back in 2008. I booked my hotel yesterday, and had a devil of a time finding a hotel. Ended up with the Hilton on Harbor Island. They have a shuttle that will take guests places, so I won't be stranded there.

Roz

Yes, same ship and itinerary. Leaving Feb. 4, 2018. I did this same cruise on the Oosterdam back in 2008. I booked my hotel yesterday, and had a devil of a time finding a hotel. Ended up with the Hilton on Harbor Island. They have a shuttle that will take guests places, so I won't be stranded there.

Roz

This our first time on Oosterdam and this particular itinerary. What did you think of it?

I really liked the itinerary. The Oosterdam is my least favorite of the 4 Vista ships, but it's OK. I didn't know if I would like Mexico as a vacation destination or not, but I went on some interesting shorex. The cities were nicer than I expected. I remember we stopped in Mazatlan for a snack and I had the best salsa I've eaten in my entire life. Apparently it's a tomato growing area, and the tomatoes in the salsa were the reddest, juiciest, most tasty tomatoes I've ever eaten.

Roz

I really liked the itinerary. The Oosterdam is my least favorite of the 4 Vista ships, but it's OK. I didn't know if I would like Mexico as a vacation destination or not, but I went on some interesting shorex. The cities were nicer than I expected. I remember we stopped in Mazatlan for a snack and I had the best salsa I've eaten in my entire life. Apparently it's a tomato growing area, and the tomatoes in the salsa were the reddest, juiciest, most tasty tomatoes I've ever eaten.

Roz

But aren't all the Vista class ships identical in terms of design, except of course the interior decorations/theme? Are there specific things about the Oosterdam that you didn't care for?

I didn't care for the way it was decorated. And unless they've changed the carpet, on the stairs it was dark blue and dark purple. Made it difficult to see the individual steps and easy to trip and fall. There was also some what I considered odd Ode to a Grecian Urn furnishings. I prefer the decorating scheme on the Westerdam and Noordam.

Roz

I didn't care for the way it was decorated. And unless they've changed the carpet, on the stairs it was dark blue and dark purple. Made it difficult to see the individual steps and easy to trip and fall. There was also some what I considered odd Ode to a Grecian Urn furnishings. I prefer the decorating scheme on the Westerdam and Noordam.

Roz

Got it, and thanks. We try not to get too involved with the decorating schemes, so don't let them bother us too much. As far as the carpet color on the stairs, now that could potentially be an issue. I guess we'll see in September, and we'll let you know.