How to get from airport to pier-very easy!

Stevie44875

This is for Venice - missed that in the title. So i just got back from Venice (sitting in the airport waiting for flight home) and wanted to share with everyone the simple steps on how to get from the marco polo airport to the cruise terminal/pier.

Exit the luggage area and head to the information desk to buy tickets to the ATVO bus. they are 6 euros each.

Walk out the door and head to the second lane and go left.

Look for the green sign -ATVO Venezia P.Le Roma Express (that is what the sign says)

There is a yellow machine next to the post to validate the ticket before boarding. there is also a machine behind the driver's seat on the bus.

The bus ride is only 20 mins or so

When they drop you off at the pizzale roma (spelling?) there is a big white building that you can walk to to take the people mover to the pier. its 1 euro for a ticket.

we did find out you need to look for the white tent to drop off luggage before you head all the way to the terminal building to check in! opps....

Very simple and cheap compared to a taxi or the transfer.

Yep, we did it and found it to be much cheaper than doing the ship's transportation. Important thing is to MAKE SURE you validate your ticket before boarding the bus - just in case they check. For us, we were on the Paciific Princess which was a bit of a hike after departing the People Mover, but Princess had a complimentary shuttle bus available basically within 200 feet of the exit of the People Mover and there was a Princess Rep that was steering people to it.

We cruised with Royal.

Thought the directions would be helpful to anyone looking for a cheaper way there because i was seriously stressing (for nothing) about trying to find the right bus when we got there and i had read so many posts on how to do it. The ticket machines were just confusing for us in the baggage claim area.

Clay-i wish i could but i wanted to make sure i didn't screw anything up and miss our flight at 11am so i took the transfer through the cruise ship to get to the airport. I will tell you when i got off the ship around 7:45 there were 5 or so taxis waiting.

Clay-i wish i could but i wanted to make sure i didn't screw anything up and miss our flight at 11am so i took the transfer through the cruise ship to get to the airport. I will tell you when i got off the ship around 7:45 there were 5 or so taxis waiting.

Thanks anyway! We have a noon flight so trying to figure out the least stressfull yet budget conscious way. May end up doing the same as you?

Thanks anyway! We have a noon flight so trying to figure out the least stressfull yet budget conscious way. May end up doing the same as you?

We had a noon flight also. We caught the 9:20am ATVO airport express bus, arrived at Marco Polo at 9:40am, then waited in long lines at the ticket counter. The departures area is notorious for being a zoo :eek: so don't arrive any later.

The blue/white ATVO buses are easy to find. As you exit the People Mover you're at the Piazzale Roma, which is basically a big parking lot for buses to load/unload.

Open this map. The 2 airplane symbols are on the ATVO buses. And to the left you'll see a monorail symbol for the PMover. And the ATVO ticket office is just above the subway symbol, in that row of store fronts under the word Autorimassa. http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/hotelmaps/marittima.htm

The ATVO site:

http://www.atvo.it/index.php?lang=en&area=23&menuid=35&view_pc=!

Can you offer just as clear and simple directions when doing the reverse? Port to airport?

Thanks!

Here are 4 screen shots from google maps.

The first shows the north end of the cruise terminal with the people mover station at the top/centre of the photo. The second shows piazzal Roma. The people mover comes into the shot from the middle left of the frame. The ATVO buses are the blue ones toward the bottom right. The 3rd shot shows the blue ATVO buses in the middle of P. Roma and the 4th. is a shot of aa ATVO bus. google ATVO for timetable and where to buy your ticket. Cheers.

351383619_ScreenShot2012-10-28at6_16_57PM.jpg.b3630e260c2b0879e304fb2cd6f7f8e3.jpg

47608574_ScreenShot2012-10-28at6_16_34PM.jpg.c6444c4461710f779e5e1a72aa0c942c.jpg

1902252221_ScreenShot2012-10-28at6_15_50PM.jpg.13106795149d3ce2efff42327797896d.jpg

472313_ScreenShot2012-10-28at6_15_18PM.jpg.71c534f492737e4a4435a67baaf8c80f.jpg

If you take the ACTV (the Municipal Tourist Authority) bus service #5 between the airport and Piazzale Roma in Venice City. Cost: €3 one way. There is a ticket machine in the baggage claim area. Getting tickets here can save time later. Tickets can be bought on the bus at weekends and from 2000-0700 on weekdays. At other times, ticket offices are open and tickets should be bought there. [Also Bus 5D. Every 15 minutes, travel time 22 minutes.]

Clay,

One thing to remember about this ACTV bus #5 - this is a 'local' bus mainly used by local people so there is no specific luggage storage so you might struggle depending on the size of your luggage. Another thing to note is that this bus stops en ruote quite a lot so it takes a lot longer.

As for the ATVO express bus, you can store your luggage (however large/heavy it may be) comfortably in the boot of the bus before boarding, without getting the stare of ''oh-what-is-he-doing-with-such-big-suitcase-on-our-bus'' from the locals :D And this doesn't stop and goes straight to the airport so it's very quick and takes only 20 mins.

I've done both ACTV and ATVO buses, and for me, I'd pay EUR3 more and go for ATVO every time :)

Archived