If we can't go at the last minute . . .

kms8066

It's odd that the cruise lines won't let you do that, they have their money. Why would they care whose in the cabin. It would be nice to do that if you couldn't go. What if you are a solo cruiser (one name on the sailing)?
Because smart people get insurance so they get a refund or credit. Unscrupulous people have been known to then turn around and "sell" the cabin to someone else, even advertising the cabin on eBay.

Because smart people get insurance so they get a refund or credit. Unscrupulous people have been known to then turn around and "sell" the cabin to someone else, even advertising the cabin on eBay.

Not to mention past-passenger discounts, which can save hundreds on bookings. If new folks could take over bookings, what would stop someone from booking at a lower price, then selling it to someone who hasn't "earned" the discount and pocketing the profit?

And, of course, that insurance is a profit center for Princess. Why should they make it significantly less attractive?

Not to mention past-passenger discounts, which can save hundreds on bookings. If new folks could take over bookings, what would stop someone from booking at a lower price, then selling it to someone who hasn't "earned" the discount and pocketing the profit?

And, of course, that insurance is a profit center for Princess. Why should they make it significantly less attractive?

While what you say is true, it is also true that a cabin with another couple in it would generate more revenue during the cruise than an empty cabin will. But I guess if they allowed substitutions of both pax in order to get some extra onboard revenue from them, they'd be opening the door to resellers at the same time, as you state. It could become like concert tickets where "scalpers" buy at the cheapest price never having any intention of actually going on the cruise.

Because smart people get insurance so they get a refund or credit.

Not necessarily. A smart person might look at their individual situation and judge that, if insurance costs, say, 10% of the cruise price, and they are unlikely to have to miss 10% of your cruises, in the long run it would be a money saver to skip the insurance even if they lost their cruise fare one out of every 15 cruises.

For other people, say with health issues, elderly/infirm relatives, or a risky weather time period, their chances of missing a cruise might be over 10%, so for them insurance would be worth it.

(The big thing, of course, is medical and medical evacuation coverage. If you don't already have it through you're health insurance, and most don't, you are really rolling the dice on what could be a tens of thousands of dollars expense. The price of the cruise is penny ante stuff not even worth thinking about compared to the medical coverage.)

Does Princess allow us to "give" our totally paid cruise to another couple? Can both names on the reservation be changed?

What i did when i had to close on my house and had not bought insurance because the cruise agency applied my final payment before contacting me. I replaced the second person and kept my name on the booking. You do not have to sail but just cannot remove both people. I did get credit for the sailing. Would have loved to have that balcony on the ten day Eastern Caribbean Thanksgiving week.

Does Princess allow us to "give" our totally paid cruise to another couple? Can both names on the reservation be changed?

Maybe you could switch out the 2nd person, and a 3rd person to the booking, and then you just be a no show.

It would cost the price of a 3rd pax in the cabin but that is better than losing all the money.

Of course the ship might be at capacity and a 3rd might not be able to be added since it's last minute.

Bill

Maybe you could switch out the 2nd person, and a 3rd person to the booking, and then you just be a no show.

It would cost the price of a 3rd pax in the cabin but that is better than losing all the money.

Of course the ship might be at capacity and a 3rd might not be able to be added since it's last minute.

Bill

And the cabin may not be one that would allow three people so a 3rd person could not be booked.

Actually, I am not sure of the logic you used.

As it is, two people are paid for. If one is switched and one does not show, that is still two paid for. Why pay for a third person?

And the cabin may not be one that would allow three people so a 3rd person could not be booked.

Actually, I am not sure of the logic you used.

As it is, two people are paid for. If one is switched and one does not show, that is still two paid for. Why pay for a third person?

No need to pay for a 3rd if someone wants to cruise solo.

I was basing my logic on another couple going and not a solo.

I just thought it might be easier to get a couple to go, but you may be right and it is easier to find someone to sail solo.

Bill

Archived