Explorer sailing this week--anyone heard?

PBNJ620

Here is a text conversation that I am having with a friend who is on the sailing and texting me from Bermuda.

"Just arrived into Bermuda after a difficult crossing with winds exceeding 110 knots and causing the ship to list at an uncomfortable angle for 6 hours. The waves were higher than my balcony and many cabins were flooded, but not mine. Many windows shattered and many areas were closed off. Thank you all for your concern. After looking death in the face, I believe there is more for me to do on this earth before entering the next world and I'm grateful for opportunity to stay around."

Glad u are safe, unbelievable they sailed right into it.

"Thank you, it was a bad decision. It was choppy when we left. The captain said it would remain that way and the worst would be the next morning from 4am-8am, which was true. The very bad part lasted until mid afternoon, so about 12 hours it was life threatening to me. The listing to the port side which is where my cabin was scarey because all I could see out my balcony was a wall of water. The next day was still bad but not like the day before when I thought we would all die."

Is everyone freaked out?

"At the time, yes. Now everyone has calmed down. But there is a lot of talk about suing RC. People don't read the pc contracts."

Are they offering any compensation?

"No.

Damn RC. I've lost a lot of respect"

Suing RC for what?

Suing RC for what?

I think a lot of people are upset that the cruise wasn’t canceled or rerouted, I know my friend asked for credit (not a refund) for a future cruise as late as 4pm on Sunday. I know there can be rough seas this time of year in the Atlantic but sailing into a hurricane is no excuse. This should be a CRUISE to Bermuda not a reenactment of the Poseidon Adventure.

I think a lot of people are upset that the cruise wasn’t canceled or rerouted, I know my friend asked for credit (not a refund) for a future cruise as late as 4pm on Sunday. I know there can be rough seas this time of year in the Atlantic but sailing into a hurricane is no excuse. This should be a CRUISE to Bermuda not a reenactment of the Poseidon Adventure.

Interesting

"After looking death in the face, I believe there is more for me to do on this earth before entering the next world and I'm grateful for opportunity to stay around."

This person should stay on land. I face death every day getting into my car...:D

I think that is one of the interesting points that will be debated - whether or not RCI ( or other cruise lines) should have taken passengers out at all.

I don't think there is any question that the ships themselves needed to leave port for their safety. They would have been sitting ducks there I port - assuming the port authority would have even allowed them to stay in port.

But should they have taken on passengers? And that I have no way of knowing as I am not a maritime expert of any sort. :)

I do know the passengers were offered the opportunity to cancel the cruise (even after they had already boarded I think?). I personally would have cancelled even without the refund as I am a big chicken and would never have voluntarily been on that ocean that day. But perhaps others will say they trusted the experts at the cruise line - when the cruise was still offered.

So who knows. :confused::confused: Not me - that's for sure!

I don't get it at all. I read all the time how all of the RCCL Captains are so great and so skilled and would never put our lives in danger. Is this judgment being made on the fact that they are very personable and haven't sunken a ship yet?

This is the same misguided attitude that people were saying about Capt Schettino before the coward left the Concordia that was 100% under his command.

When I first heard that the Explorer was sailing south straight into the Hurricane I thought is this guy "Nuts". Turns out he actually may be along with anyone that would sail under his command again.

Blast away! Prove my point about!

I do know the passengers were offered the opportunity to cancel the cruise (even after they had already boarded I think?).

So who knows. :confused::confused: Not me - that's for sure!

This statement contradicts what the cruiser said. She said she asked for a cruise credit to not cruise.

I know pax on the Enchantment were given the option to not cruise and get a credit. The Enchantment was going to miss their only port. [bermuda] So, it would be a cruise to nowhere.

Does anyone know that they gave the Explorer the same option?

But perhaps others will say they trusted the experts at the cruise line - when the cruise was still offered.

quote]

I have been wondering all week what I would have done re cancelling or going (at that time), and have come to the conclusion that I probably would have gone. I would have had implicit trust in both RCI and the captain to do the right thing. I have always felt that neither of them would put us in harm's way.

Now? Not so much! Even if some of the stories are a bit over the top, there is no doubt that this cruise was less than what we expect a cruise experience to be.

Bottom line - if there is ever a remote chance of anything like that happening on a cruise that I am supposed to go on, I'm outta there!

And.....I really feel that Royal should have cancelled. JMHO.

Sheila.

This statement contradicts what the cruiser said. She said she asked for a cruise credit to not cruise.

I know pax on the Enchantment were given the option to not cruise and get a credit. The Enchantment was going to miss their only port. [bermuda] So, it would be a cruise to nowhere.

Sorry. Was typing quickly and not being careful with my words. To me, a cruise credit is a refund because I would still want to cruise at another time. :). But you are correct that I didn't say that.....

But perhaps others will say they trusted the experts at the cruise line - when the cruise was still offered.

quote]

I have been wondering all week what I would have done re cancelling or going (at that time), and have come to the conclusion that I probably would have gone. I would have had implicit trust in both RCI and the captain to do the right thing. I have always felt that neither of them would put us in harm's way.

Now? Not so much! Even if some of the stories are a bit over the top, there is no doubt that this cruise was less than what we expect a cruise experience to be.

Bottom line - if there is ever a remote chance of anything like that happening on a cruise that I am supposed to go on, I'm outta there!

And.....I really feel that Royal should have cancelled. JMHO.

Sheila.

I think your original response would be typical of many cruisers. I am just such a big chicken (I won't even ride roller coasters :o) that it would not have been a choice for me - I just could not have gone.

My friend starting asking RC on Friday for options and was told there were none. He carried his luggage on board so that if there were any last minute options there would be no hassle leaving. His travel insurance would not cover the cost of the cruise unless it was canceled.

Please forgive my spelling!!!! But we are at bermuda now and having a great time. 1 bad day at sea only 1. we have no word if people that parked at the dock still have a car?? We have been on 9 cruises so far and this was the bumpest. No we were not walking on the walls or out of water. The ship went south near the coast and then west to bermuda. It was a cruise that we will not forget. but I think it was MUCH better then being at work. More when we get back.

I don't get it at all. I read all the time how all of the RCCL Captains are so great and so skilled and would never put our lives in danger. Is this judgment being made on the fact that they are very personable and haven't sunken a ship yet?

This is the same misguided attitude that people were saying about Capt Schettino before the coward left the Concordia that was 100% under his command.

When I first heard that the Explorer was sailing south straight into the Hurricane I thought is this guy "Nuts". Turns out he actually may be along with anyone that would sail under his command again.

Blast away! Prove my point about!

He didn't sail south into the hurricane, he sailed south along the left (relative to direction of movement) side of it, which is the side with the lighter, relatively speaking, winds. Any seasoned sailor can tell you that sailing over the top of a storm lke Sandy would have be nuts, not sailing to the leeward side and below it.

I hear Atlantic Av has (or yesterday had) 5' of sand in some spots. Waiting for relatives to email pics of it down. I think all of the family up there came thru in good shape, houses, boats, etc...all survived. One cousin probably got water in basement at house on the SW pond since the basement there is probably only 5' above the average tide level (my guess).

Glad you came thru ok!

Well, I hate to post some of this on a thread where people are being accused of embelishing the facts but.... Yes, Atlantic Ave. really is under 5-6feet of sand and the only way to really tell there is a road there is from the telephone poles sticking up. There are houses that floated off of whatever was holding them up, and some house now have new street addresses. The Andrea Hotel had its ocean side ripped off and its interior is exposed. Patty's must be somewhere but I don't know where. And it just goes on. It was the perfect confluence of wind, high tide, full moon, etc. But I still would have rather been here than riding Explorer to Bermuda.

And I thank all of you who have expressed your kind thoughts and good wishes. Except for some minor damage to the house we are all doing fine.

I unusually avoid these types of rants but I must make a short comment.... you did unknowingly answered your own question "I have no way of knowing as I am not a maritime expert of any sort".

It’s difficult to read these comments and believe they are being said with sincerity. RCCL's experts who have education, ability, knowledge and 40 years of experience in maintaining a successful passenger cruise line. Captain Olav Nyseter has 50 years of maritime experience who commands immense respect among his peers was directing his crew. Passengers had a choice to board the ship or not. RCCL made an educated decision to sail after carefully analysing the absolute best option for passengers, crew and ship. At no time was any person's lives at risk....RCCL is not Reckless. To make claims that this was the case demonstrates total ignorance.

RCCL and their crew made the best decision to sail in the direction they choose.

Just talked to my friend onboard again. She has pics of the yellow water coming out of the faucets that was obviosuly undrinkable. Sounds like it was short lived but real. She also has port side balcony and said it was like the other passengers take "a wall of ocean"...scary! She says none of you speculators were there and didnt experience it...therefore stop judging.

It was downright terrifying and i think thats all she was ever trying to reley.

I forgot Richard Spacey is onboard! I bet he hasnt ever experienced anything quite like that (and he has lived on ships for a living for years!)

He didn't sail south into the hurricane, he sailed south along the left (relative to direction of movement) side of it, which is the side with the lighter, relatively speaking, winds. Any seasoned sailor can tell you that sailing over the top of a storm lke Sandy would have be nuts, not sailing to the leeward side and below it.

And at the time he left the one thing they new for certain was the hurricane was not going out to sea. The projected wave heights were better if he would have went east. All along the wave heights closer to the hurricane were much greater. There was too much uncertainty by sailing south. They knew Sandy was going on shore at the time he left. If he sailed east he would have been in much smaller waves as predicted.

And at the time he left the one thing they new for certain was the hurricane was not going out to sea. The projected wave heights were better if he would have went east. All along the wave heights closer to the hurricane were much greater. There was too much uncertainty by sailing south. They knew Sandy was going on shore at the time he left. If he sailed east he would have been in much smaller waves as predicted.

Simple as that huh?

A friendly reminder that any questions regarding or discussion of removed posts and threads should not be posted on the boards.

Post removals are at the discretion of Cruise Critic Management and all decisions shall remain final. Please review our Community Guidelines for further information.

Thank you for your co-operation.

And you know all this because of your many years as an experienced Ship's Captain and have gone through this same type situation many times while commanding your own ship at sea. I don't understand why some people feel the need spread rumors and panic everyone that they can. So unless you speak from experience, you shouldn't speak at all.

and you know all this because of your many years as an experienced ship's captain and have gone through this same type situation many times while commanding your own ship at sea. I don't understand why some people feel the need spread rumors and panic everyone that they can. So unless you speak from experience, you shouldn't speak at all.

can you hear the applause for your reply!!

My friend starting asking RC on Friday for options and was told there were none. He carried his luggage on board so that if there were any last minute options there would be no hassle leaving. His travel insurance would not cover the cost of the cruise unless it was canceled.

So, the pax only option was to go on the cruise or lose the cost of their fare. That will put many people in a spot---especially since insurance will not pay out in that case.

The Enchantment of the Seashad a different option. They could get a future cruise credit or stay aboard with no ports and get an OBC.

It is interesting to note that the Carnival Pride did not cruise this week. They are doing a 2 day cruise to nowhere to try to make up some of the money this Friday-Monday from Baltimore.

I am on the Explorer right now, docked in Bermuda. Interesting reading someof the stories and speculations. Speculate away! I will say for those leaving on on Sunday that as of now we will be back. We are waiting on some kind of word about any damaging to the parked cars there, seems we can't get any info except there was damage. Besides that, have been having a great time!

Hey CC's...

I have an interest in this topic as we are to leave on EX soon. The first concern is for everyone on the ship. Looks like they are doing ok. Fhew...

However, we should be careful. Look at what just happened to us with this, "Superstorm". Cruising is still a luxury.

My husband is a commercial fisherman off the coast of RI. You should have seen the boats down the Point....Crazy!

Ocean Boy...glad you are ok neighbor! Yes Paddy's is basically gone. I live on the beach area of RI and it is bad!

My question was as someone else said, we understand the ship is better out to sea, but does that include passengers? If so...I would think if you take their money and go for it, then dip into the pot and give at least something back for a better day....

That being said, it's true...don't choose a cruise vacation if you can't roll with the flow...

PUN.

Hope everyone is well.

Archived