Regatta NY to NY 2012

Sand Pine

We are due to sail out of NY on 11/2, hoping both we and Regatta will make it on schedule. So far our flight in on Thursday has not been canceled, as so many others have been, and we're hopeful. We know of 2 instances where Sunday flights were canceled and those people were rebooked for Thursday. Our personal worry is so small when measured against all the residents who will be adversely affected, and we can only pray that this won't really turn into the perfect storm.

We are on the regatta right now. No, we are not in sunny Bermuda!! That was canceled several days ago. It was decided that we would instead go to Charlottown on Prince Edward Island and spend a day and night there afterwhich we would sail to NYC and arrive on Thursday instead of Friday. That was changed again last night and we left Charlottown at 10pm. We have a full day at sea (quite rough) and will arrive back at Halifax tomorrow morning where we will stay until 10pm after which we will be at sea again heading for NYC where the Captain is hoping to arrive late thursday. This, of course is all subject to change. There have been a number of couples who have left the cruise during the last few stops and are trying to make their way back home independently. Don't think that's going to work out to well for them. We are going the course. They did open the bar for a couple of hours last night and are giving us free internet for the rest of the trip. It's unfortunate that we never made Bermuda since that would have been the highlight of the trip but it's certainly understandable, saftey first.

Anyway it's was a good cruise until Sandy got on board.

We are on the regatta right now. No, we are not in sunny Bermuda!! That was canceled several days ago.

Sorry to hear you missed Bermuda but glad to hear you are all safe

Hope the rocking is not too bad for the trip back to NYC

I know just how you feel as I spent two full bumpy days at sea in hurricane Earl 2 years ago..it is an experience to remember..we to had many port changes and arrived many hours late back to New Jersey..the important thing was we were all safe~~~

Jancruz1

We are on the regatta right now. No, we are not in sunny Bermuda!! That was canceled several days ago. It was decided that we would instead go to Charlottown on Prince Edward Island and spend a day and night there afterwhich we would sail to NYC and arrive on Thursday instead of Friday. That was changed again last night and we left Charlottown at 10pm. We have a full day at sea (quite rough) and will arrive back at Halifax tomorrow morning where we will stay until 10pm after which we will be at sea again heading for NYC where the Captain is hoping to arrive late thursday. This, of course is all subject to change. There have been a number of couples who have left the cruise during the last few stops and are trying to make their way back home independently. Don't think that's going to work out to well for them. We are going the course. They did open the bar for a couple of hours last night and are giving us free internet for the rest of the trip. It's unfortunate that we never made Bermuda since that would have been the highlight of the trip but it's certainly understandable, saftey first.

because all of us who are due to embark in NY on 11/2 at the end of your cruise are anxious to know what's really going on aboard Regatta. We will all appreciate your updates. Marlene

I have just seen you on Halifax Nova Scotia Web Cam,you look very comfy next to "The World" Stay safe! This is on for the dinner table.

regards

Josie

We are currently visiting on the Upper West Side in Manhattan so I can give you first hand observations.

Right now I would be skeptical that you can get to New York: If you get here it may be difficult to get to the terminal: and finally, the terminal may be non functional. The port is currently closed.

JFK and Newark will probably be open - La Guardia is iffy. There appears to be runway damage due to the flooding.

Transportation is a mess. Subways and trains are out of service with estimates varying at 3 to 5 days for areas not flooded and weeks for those areas. A big part of the problem is that for the airports to open and the ship terminal to work the employees have to be able to get to work. This is not happening soon. This also assumes that there has not been disabling damage to the facilities. The cruise terminal is on the west side and parts of the west side highway were underwater last night and was still closed below 79th Street as of an hour ago when I was out. The operational assessments are underway as the water recedes. All the east side tunnels are flooded but Holland Tunnel (west side) is open. Bridges are opening as we speak. Power is out everywhere south of 40th street with no estimate of when it will be fixed.

Bottom line - this is not going to be a quick recovery. I recommend you check all aspects of your trip before you get on a plane.

Good Luck,

Robbie

Last night, I was watching the coverage on tv, and one of the places they showed was the highway as it runs right in front of the Manhattan cruise terminal. It was totally covered with water. Now there are other cruise terminals in New York. Don't know how/if they are affected, or how quickly the water will recede. Also don't know if the terminal itself was flooded.

Holland tunnel is closed. I meant to say Lincoln Tunnel which is open.

Limited bus service starts at 5 PM today (Tues). There is no credible estimate on the subways but a number of stations in lower Manhattan are flooded - we may get partial service linking to busses later in the week.

Robbie

Last night, I was watching the coverage on tv, and one of the places they showed was the highway as it runs right in front of the Manhattan cruise terminal. It was totally covered with water. Now there are other cruise terminals in New York. Don't know how/if they are affected, or how quickly the water will recede. Also don't know if the terminal itself was flooded.

The Brooklyn cruise terminal is in Red Hook (near us) which suffered a lot of flooding last night as well. I doubt it will be open either, although I haven't heard anything official. There are NJ terminals that are used by more lines than the Brooklyn port, but I imagine they are in even worse condition.

If Regatta can't dock in NY, where will she go? What a nightmare for the people who are supposed to board on November 2nd ... not to mention the cruise passengers who are leaving the ship then.

Mura

The Brooklyn cruise terminal is in Red Hook (near us) which suffered a lot of flooding last night as well. I doubt it will be open either, although I haven't heard anything official. There are NJ terminals that are used by more lines than the Brooklyn port, but I imagine they are in even worse condition.

If Regatta can't dock in NY, where will she go? What a nightmare for the people who are supposed to board on November 2nd ... not to mention the cruise passengers who are leaving the ship then.

Mura

Oceania has been monitoring and working on this problem for days..not to worry, they will take good care of everyone..

Jancruz1

Per a call from Oceania a short time ago, Regatta will dock in Boston on 11/2, and sail directly to St. Bart's on 11/3. Big relief to know what's going on for sure. We were able to change our Southwest tickets very easily, no extra charge, but the peace of mind just knowing the plan is priceless. Kudos to O for finding a reasonable solution for everyone. Marlene

Jan,

I never doubted that O would do its best. It just seems like such a logistical nightmare!

Travel,

My husband was pondering the possibility of Boston. Looks like he was right! At least that isn't too difficult to get to for those coming to NYC for the cruise.

Mura

Coming to you from Regatta after a rather rocky night(We are on deck 8 and our deck had a couple of inches of water on it this morning) As you all know by now we are docking in Boston tomorrow morning. The captain announced that at 6pm last night. There was quite a scramble to the destinations desk by people trying to change their travel plans. As far as I know Oceania has to plans of busing anyone over to NY. Fortunately for us we are traveling with Southwest who switched us from Newark to Boston at no extra charge (great airline). I'm actually glad we are not trying to get into NY. With the power out trying to get to airport would have been a challenge. So instead of Bermuda we ended up with 2 days in Halifax and 2 in Boston. It was a great vacation for the first 8 days.

Today's email from on board the Regatta: "Gotta tell you, O has done NOTHING to assist, other than free internet access and we've spent the last two days simply waiting on lines for computers, Concierge to help with problems, Dest. Svcs to see if they'll arrange buses to NYC.

The cruise effectively ended days ago, just the aggravation lingers.

There will be NO transport offered by Oceania to NYC!"

Does your friend live in NYC??

I hope she can get back to her home & all is well

Such a mess there I am sure everyone is trying to do the best they can

Lyn

No, just outside NYC in CT. They are going to rent a car at Logan and drive back. I'm surprised Oceania did charter buses or give ticket on Amtrak.

Could be just all the logistics with several cruise ships in Boston looking for the same thing

Notice from Amtrak

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=AM_Alert_C&pagename=am/AM_Alert_C/Alerts_Popup&cid=1251622943055

Lots of problems on the East coast by the looks of things

Hope they get home safely

Today's email from on board the Regatta: "Gotta tell you, O has done NOTHING to assist, other than free internet access and we've spent the last two days simply waiting on lines for computers, Concierge to help with problems, Dest. Svcs to see if they'll arrange buses to NYC.

Posted wrong place

Sorry, I do not believe this..I talk to the Miami office every day and I know how hard they are working to get everyone taken care of!!!

Jancruz1

Jan, I'm wondering if the people on board now don't really have a conception of the disaster we have in the northeast. If they were seeing the videos and photos of areas that have been totally devastated, perhaps they would be more understanding of the problems.

And as someone else said, Oceania isn't the only cruise line in this situation.

It would be one thing for us, who live in NYC, to have to get to Boston to catch the ship (or leave it) ... how much more difficult for people leaving the ship who may have thought they'd be staying in NYC, or just flying home from one of our airports ... likewise for the people coming to NYC to board the cruise.

Such a mess for SO many people. I am thankful that I'm not one of the Oceania personnel who has to deal with getting so many people from one place to another.

And if you listen to the interviews of those people who have lost everything, the problem of getting from Boston to NYC (or vice versa) becomes very minor.

Mura

Jan, I'm wondering if the people on board now don't really have a conception of the disaster we have in the northeast. If they were seeing the videos and photos of areas that have been totally devastated, perhaps they would be more understanding of the problems.

And as someone else said, Oceania isn't the only cruise line in this situation.

It would be one thing for us, who live in NYC, to have to get to Boston to catch the ship (or leave it) ... how much more difficult for people leaving the ship who may have thought they'd be staying in NYC, or just flying home from one of our airports ... likewise for the people coming to NYC to board the cruise.

Such a mess for SO many people. I am thankful that I'm not one of the Oceania personnel who has to deal with getting so many people from one place to another.

And if you listen to the interviews of those people who have lost everything, the problem of getting from Boston to NYC (or vice versa) becomes very minor.

Mura

Hi Mura, you caugt me as I just posted and changed my mind..people can believe what they want..

Jancruz1

Archived