Finally getting back after the storm, Explorer storm questions?

JAMESCC

Just off Explorer. Very rough seas Sunday into Monday. 100 knot winds, ship listing 7-10 degrees 4 majority of morning & into afternoon. Balcony cabins on starboard side got water, so some people had to be moved. The upper decks were closed along with windjammer. People were waiting up to 1.5 hrs to get into main dining for lunch as only place for food. Limited menu of 3 choices.

Water started to smooth out some Monday night and we had nice weather Tuesday thru Friday. More rough weather Saturday but not as bad as the hurricane.

Our route to Bermuda was south along coastline and next to Sandy. Worst cruise out of 9 and the majority if the ship will be letting RCCL know about the experience.

[ATTACH]250660[/ATTACH]

I was on this sailing too. We had many issues on this sailing, none of which were weather-related. I won't go into detail here and now but I must say that even though there were the obvious issues related to the storm there was not one time that I didn't feel safe. I put my trust in the cruiseline and it all worked out.

Regarding the comment that it was a long wait for food in the dining room because it was the only place for food, this was absolutely not true. One of the reasons for the limited menu was that they couldn't keep food on the grill because of the seas. The Windjammer was indeed closed but the Cafe Promenade was open the whole time and in addition to their regular line, they had MANY servers handing out sandwiches, fruit, etc from trays in the line. They absolutely did the best with the situation they were handed. Yes, it wasn't a full sit-down meal but there definitely was food available other than the dining room.

Douglas...Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Captain did not take the ship into the heart of the storm. He went south, close to land and then turned towards Bermuda.

The ship had to leave port, they could not stay. The storm was huge with the outer rain bands as far north as New England and as far south as Florida. He chose to go south, around the storm as much as possible, on the weaker side of the storm. His best choice would have been due west, but obviously, that was not an option.

Ships are built to hand seas, the passengers, not so much. The cruiseline should have chosen to cancel the cruise and sailed with just staff and crew, but they didn't. Passengers had the choice to not board the ship whether they were getting a refund or not. The passengers were not forced to board and some chose not to board, I know I would not have gotten on that ship even if it meant losing thousands of dollars.

You are fighting a losing battle. You might as well be talking to the nearest wall to you. :) There are people here that are dead set on the idea that Royal Caribbean put the lives of thousands of passengers in jeopardy and even no matter how MANY reports from those that were actually ON BOARD saying different, there is no changing their minds.

Im sure it wasnt pleasant the first couple of days but in no way will I ever believe anyone was in danger of losing their life. those ships are tougher than most believe but as you said, the passengers, not so much.

OK, I was following what was happening to Explorer in the BIG storm up till Monday night at 8:30. What was the final result? What was the trip like? Forgive me as i am sure it was fully answered but I have been out of the loop since Monday. I still don't have power, THANK GOD my in-laws do! I finally have internet, and heat! Oh I'm in NJ by the way, about 40 minutes from Explorer home port. So thanks for any info, its nice to get ANY.

Glad to hear that you finally have heat. Living in Hurrican Country I know how it feels to be without power. Our problem though is reverse when we do lose power. It is the lack of air conditioning. The weather here gets so hot and humid you can slice it with a knife, especially at night.

Perhaps those that think the captain did the right thing by going south should consider what would have happened in 35 foot seas if they lost power. The crew had to control the direction in which the ship took the waves. Without power, they would not be able to keep the ship from taking the waves on the side of the ship. I'll leave it to your imagination as to what could have happened.

The ship should have gone north or no where. RCL is lucky all ended safely. I hope they reconsider their decision in this case and never repeat it.

Perhaps those that think the captain did the right thing by going south should consider what would have happened in 35 foot seas if they lost power. The crew had to control the direction in which the ship took the waves. Without power, they would not be able to keep the ship from taking the waves on the side of the ship. I'll leave it to your imagination as to what could have happened.

The ship should have gone north or no where. RCL is lucky all ended safely. I hope they reconsider their decision in this case and never repeat it.

Well, heading across the top of the storm would have put them in similar seas per the buoy readings for that time frame with hurrican strength winds. They did not have the option to go nowhere, they were told the ship had to leave port.

Hindsight is 20/20. They should have brought the ship in a day early and either add a day onto the Halloween cruise or cancel it completely and sail empty.

The radius of Hurricane Sandy stretched over a 900 mile area, so no matter what direction the ship went it was going to run into rough seas.

Ok, I got off the Explorer today and while it was very bad the first few days, RCCL took pretty good care of us. The Captain keep us updated all along. Where we were heading, and why to avoid the worst of the storm. And when we ended up in 80+ winds he took responsibility and did the best he could to hurry us through the worst of it. The MDR had to stop serving some things for breakfast Monday because the egg pans were falling off the stove. But we still ate. The Windjammer closed because the food and plates were falling off tables. The lunch choices for Monday were a very long wait for MDR or cold cuts on the promenade. Yes I was hungry and wanted hot food, but I lived. At no time were we out of water, or anything to drink.

When we heard about our cars in the flood zone, the crew opened a room for us with free phones and laptops to call insurance companies or rides home. It would have been smart to open the phones earlier in the week, the lines were very long on the one day they gave us, but they also gave us free wifi that day and we used the phones at Guest Services too.

I did hold them responsible for one thing. I understood that rooms on my floor flooded, and people were moved, but the entire rug in the hallway outside my cabin was soaking wet from Monday until the carpet was finally changed on saturday. The smell from the wet carpet was very very bad. But somehow they could only change it the day before we left? The smell and lack of action I did complain about a few times, and nothing was done till day 7.

I too wish we had gotten a choice not to go. But I could not afford to loose my vacation dollars.

The radius of Hurricane Sandy stretched over a 900 mile area, so no matter what direction the ship went it was going to run into rough seas.

It might have hit rough seas, but not the seas it did by going south. Several ships went north and the ride was mild compared to this cruise.

I just got home from this Most Excellent Cruise.

Yes it was rocking and rolling on Monday.(A most Excellent Ride) But the Capt. and Crew did an OUTSTANDING job of keeping everybody safe and updated. Yes they did close the windjammer on Monday from 10ish till 6PM But NOBODY went hungry. They had food stations set up through out the ship and nobody went hungry for the 7 hours. If they did its only because they chose not to leave there rooms. For all those people at home saying this and that about RCCL not doing the right thing you are wrong. You have NO right in saying it. As you where NOT there. And the few people that did complan that where on the ship where mostly FIRST time cruisers and where caught by suprise.

But for all of us sea dogs It was really not that bad. I loved it!

And by Monday night things slowy got back to normal and by Tuesday it was a GREAT day at sea. Anyday at sea is better then a day at work. Peace.

I've brought over three posts from their roll call from people who posted from the ship and after they have returned home. Seems that no one supports your argument above that RCI took people directly into the storm.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=35937870&postcount=1420

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=35937870&postcount=1420

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=35959827&postcount=1429

I never said that RCI "took people directly into the storm." Were did I say that? I said they took passengers into 100 mph winds and 30-40 foot seas.

I have no idea the path they took. But everyone has been talking about the conditions, the winds and the waves and the rough seas.

Just off Explorer. Very rough seas Sunday into Monday. 100 knot winds, ship listing 7-10 degrees 4 majority of morning & into afternoon. Balcony cabins on starboard side got water, so some people had to be moved. The upper decks were closed along with windjammer. People were waiting up to 1.5 hrs to get into main dining for lunch as only place for food. Limited menu of 3 choices.

Water started to smooth out some Monday night and we had nice weather Tuesday thru Friday. More rough weather Saturday but not as bad as the hurricane.

Our route to Bermuda was south along coastline and next to Sandy. Worst cruise out of 9 and the majority if the ship will be letting RCCL know about the experience.

[ATTACH]250660[/ATTACH]

We just got back home after arriving on Explorer this morning... Just an update on the wind speeds... During the 'Captains Corner' on Saturday, the Captain stated that on the morning of the 29th he was seeing sustained winds of 120 knots (140mph) for a short time. At one time, he saw it peaked for a very short time at 160 knots (180mph). This occurred at about 9:00am. We were in the Windjammer at that time eating breakfast. When the wind peaked, the ship listed to port sharply. All the tables/chairs/people who were on the tile floor started sliding and piled up on the tables on the rug that did not shift. Any plates/cups on any table that were not held went flying. About 5 minutes later, they announced that the Windjammer was closing. It was way too dangerous to be cooking in those conditions. We went back for lunch later in the afternoon after they had cleaned up that huge mess.

I have heard that people were complaining they could not get their food when they wanted it..... I have one thing to say to them... TOUGH.... With those sea conditions and wind it was too dangerous for the crew to be doing any cooking. They could wait a few more hours to stuff their faces.... :mad:

We did not leave our car in the pier parking lot. We left it with a relative in CT and they took us to the ship and picked us up this morning. As we were driving out of the pier area, we could see the debris stuck in the chain link fences roughly 4 feet off the ground. I have no idea if it got that deep where the cars were parked though.

So everyone had the option to reschedule?

NO... The cruise was leaving on schedule. The Captain announced at one point that some had canceled and some others had just not shown up. Those numbers was quite small though. I do not know if those who canceled or did not show up could get payment from travel insurance or not. If they did not have travel insurance, they just lost the money.

Many of those who did not take medication for sea sickness, got sick.... It was their own fault. Sure, the ship was rocking from side to side, but it really was not all that bad.

It was quite an adventure and I am really glad I got to experience it. We were on the 10th deck and when we looked out from the balcony, the tops of the waves did not look all that far down. When we went down to the 4th deck dining room to get the ice show tickets, we were looking UP to the top of the waves when the ship was in the wave trough. All in all, it was quite exciting and there were a lot of "WOW's" heard. The Captain told us that the waves were about 30 feet average. I think he was being conservative from my observations.

When we got to Bermuda we had 3 days of beautiful weather and had a great time.

[quote name='reallyitsmema']Which ships, that departed New York on Sunday, October 28th went north?[/QUOTE]

The Caribbean Princess changed its Bermuda itinerary and went to Boston where it stayed through the storm. It was in port with 2 other ships that changed their itinerary also. I believe one was Carnival, but I can't remember the other one mentioned in the post.

Ironically, there were passengers on the Caribbean Princess that were furious the captain changed the itinerary. I wonder how they would feel now, reading the experience of the Explorer.

We had a HAL ship dock in Jacksonville FL on Friday the 27th, that was seeking shelter from the violent seas. That was 2 days before the storm got to NJ and NY. The storm was moving north with a very wide wind field. The weather forecast was dead on to hit NJ and NY.

No ship should have been at sea. The Bounty replica ship lost 2 crew and sank off Hatteras sailing in waters south of NY 2 days before the Explorer left.

How can any cruise line ask their customers to cruise anywhere under these conditions?

All cruise lines need to rethink this storm and do the right thing next time. Allow their guests to cancel and rebook.

Someone here said they couldn't afford to lose their fare if they cancelled. I hope you realize that to your family, you are too important to lose.

[quote name='Mom33']The Caribbean Princess changed its Bermuda itinerary and went to Boston where it stayed through the storm. It was in port with 2 other ships that changed their itinerary also. I believe one was Carnival, but I can't remember the other one mentioned in the post.

Ironically, there were passengers on the Caribbean Princess that were furious the captain changed the itinerary. I wonder how they would feel now, reading the experience of the Explorer.

We had a HAL ship dock in Jacksonville FL on Friday the 27th, that was seeking shelter from the violent seas. That was 2 days before the storm got to NJ and NY. The storm was moving north with a very wide wind field. The weather forecast was dead on to hit NJ and NY.

No ship should have been at sea. The Bounty replica ship lost 2 crew and sank off Hatteras sailing in waters south of NY 2 days before the Explorer left.

How can any cruise line ask their customers to cruise anywhere under these conditions?

All cruise lines need to rethink this storm and do the right thing next time. Allow their guests to cancel and rebook.

Someone here said they couldn't afford to lose their fare if they cancelled. I hope you realize that to your family, you are too important to lose.[/quote]
None of the ships you mention left New York on the 28th. The Caribbean Princess left on the 27th and did come into Boston. The Jewel of the Seas was scheduled to sail from Boston on the 28th but stayed in port instead. Crystal Symphony was is Boston on the 28th for a port day and stayed to weather the storm. There were no Carnival ships. When the Jewel and Symphony left, the Norwegian Gem and another ship came into port. Many disembarked in Boston from the Gem.

I was watching Boston closely since I live 15 minutes from the port.

None of the ships in Boston during Sandy left New York on the 28th.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3] Most people making negative comments here are not sailors or mariners and know only what cruising as a past time has taught them. I do not in any way consider their opinions as valid under the circumstances of this storm. Further more, if you weren't on the cruise, you have no basis for comparison.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Most reasonable people who were on the cruise have reported how well they were taken care of. No one was hurt beyond reasonable limits considering the circumstances. And...they chose to go. Just sayin....:cool: Now they are home in reasonably good shape. Case closed.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Jenn31708']I never said that RCI "took people directly into the storm." Were did I say that? I said they took passengers into 100 mph winds and 30-40 foot seas.

I have no idea the path they took. But everyone has been talking about the conditions, the winds and the waves and the rough seas.[/quote]
You are correct and I did misquote you for which I apologize.:o

[quote name='reallyitsmema']None of the ships you mention left New York on the 28th. The Caribbean Princess left on the 27th and did come into Boston. The Jewel of the Seas was scheduled to sail from Boston on the 28th but stayed in port instead. Crystal Symphony was is Boston on the 28th for a port day and stayed to weather the storm. There were no Carnival ships. When the Jewel and Symphony left, the Norwegian Gem and another ship came into port. Many disembarked in Boston from the Gem.

I was watching Boston closely since I live 15 minutes from the port.

[B]None of the ships in Boston during Sandy left New York on the 28th[/B].[/QUOTE]

My mistake. The Caribbean actually got out of dodge a day earlier than I thought. It really makes no difference however. The Explorer should not have gone south.

I also mistook the Jewel as a Carnival ship. Sorry for the confusion.

I will now go back to our research on the Allure and Oasis as we were searching for info when we came across this thread.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Thanks for the links Patti: someone reported 15 degree lists...pwah...that is nothing especially for a 120k ton ship.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]I used to own a 27' Catalina sailboat on which I have stood on the gunnels standing at 180 degrees straight up from the mast, with those gunnels IN the water at a 20 degree heel no problem...The center board sticking out of the water and been fine. It's scary but vessels are made to heel. Sorry if some of you think this is just too dangerous to endure...it's really not. There are many here who are Navy vets who know exactly what dangerous is. And what Explorer went through doesn't begin to touch it.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Surely a little inconvenience isn't too much to endure under these unusual circumstances. Especially when one has chosen to do so of their own free will. Cudos to Master and crew and all those who really understand the sea and sailing. Bravo![/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]It's also very easy to criticize when you are hundreds of miles inland and did not experience what people went through on the coast in this storm too.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='BecciBoo'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Thanks for the links Patti: someone reported 15 degree lists...pwah...that is nothing especially for a 120k ton ship.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]I used to own a 27' Catalina sailboat on which I have stood on the gunnels standing at 180 degrees straight up from the mast, with those gunnels IN the water at a 20 degree heel no problem...The center board sticking out of the water and been fine. It's scary but vessels are made to heel. Sorry if some of you think this is just too dangerous to endure...it's really not. There are many here who are Navy vets who know exactly what dangerous is. And what Explorer went through doesn't begin to touch it.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Surely a little inconvenience isn't too much to endure under these unusual circumstances. Especially when one has chosen to do so of their own free will. Cudos to Master and crew and all those who really understand the sea and sailing. Bravo![/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]It's also very easy to criticize when you are hundreds of miles inland and did not experience what people went through on the coast in this storm too.[/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

You are right... The 15 degree list at the peak of the storm was not all that big of a deal except for the sliding tables and water leaking in under the doors. The Captain told us that the Explorer is rated to take a 50 degree list and come back.

[quote name='Mom33']The Explorer should not have gone south.
[/quote]
Since the radius of the storm went all the way up as far as Halifax, NS, going North would not have any less of an impact than it did going south.

We were on Brilliance and on October 28, instead of staying overnight in Halifax, we went to our next port which was St. John's in New Brunswick and stayed for an extra day.

For what it is worth, I noticed on the AIS tracker that all of the cruise ships that left the NY area on Sunday headed south - except for the Cunard ship that was probably headed to northern Europe. So it seems it was a common decision. I even saw a Carnival ship headed south a bit further down the coast line. Not sure where they left from though.

[quote name='awboater']For what it is worth, I noticed on the AIS tracker that all of the cruise ships that left the NY area on Sunday headed south - except for the Cunard ship that was probably headed to northern Europe. So it seems it was a common decision. I even saw a Carnival ship headed south a bit further down the coast line. Not sure where they left from though.[/quote]
Correct, the Queen Mary 2 did not go south. She is an ocean liner though and built to handle seas better than the cruise ships that were leaving NY at the same time.

Archived