Just back from Explorer

kaykels

I agree with your reasoning as to why RCCL did not give a choice to reschedule/cancel. The EnOS did have cancellations. I wonder what did happen to the Star. I will go over to the NCL section to check that out. We were on the Explorer for the Star accident and I saw and watched that accident from the start from our aft balcony. No fun there either but your situation was much worse. I have been through a TS on a Princess cruise 75 mph winds and 25-30 ft seas no fun. Glad the cruise mostly went well, but will never understand why no option not to go!

Terri, were you given the option to not go and get a future cruise credut instead? I am confused about this issue as well. Glad you are home safe and sound!

Shahira and Fred

Hi Shoo! Thank you!!

Not sure if anyone else answered as I did not read the rest of this thread yet but no. We were not given the option to cancel. Actually, when we arrived at the pier, I think we were inside at 11am and they were already boarding. I think they wanted everyone on asap! We were also not offered any kind of refund, discount or anything.

All I can say is buy insurance with the option to cancel!! Folks are too cheap to buy it and then whine when the cruise line does not offer them that option for free. Get over it folks!!!! Stop you whining!!!!!

Ships sail through storms all the time and are designed for such. You chose to gamble and lost the bet and now it's Royal Caribbean's fault. Typical.

All I can say is buy insurance with the option to cancel!! Folks are too cheap to buy it and then whine when the cruise line does not offer them that option for free. Get over it folks!!!! Stop you whining!!!!!

Ships sail through storms all the time and are designed for such. You chose to gamble and lost the bet and now it's Royal Caribbean's fault. Typical.

If you made it to the port and the ship sailed, I don't believe that insurance would pay. Allowing cancellation for any reason doesn't sound like a good business plan.

Allowing cancellation for any reason doesn't sound like a good business plan.

Cancel for ANY reason travel insurance is the main reason I choose RCI's CruiseCare by Berkeley. They most certainly will refund you 75% of the total fare paid in the form of a future cruise credit as long as you cancel prior to ships departure. You do have to use it within a year though.

better to have 75% of something than 100% of nothing :)

Exactly.

Hi Shoo! Thank you!!

Not sure if anyone else answered as I did not read the rest of this thread yet but no. We were not given the option to cancel. Actually, when we arrived at the pier, I think we were inside at 11am and they were already boarding. I think they wanted everyone on asap! We were also not offered any kind of refund, discount or anything.

Thanks for the info, Terri. Maybe we'll sail together again one day! :-)

Shoo

The NCL Star was on a repo cruise and not scheduled to ge to Bermuda. No NCL ship was heavily damaged by Sandy.

The Gem had to linger out at sea until New York opened.

Just figured I would clear that question on the Star.

Well said. The lemonade phrase is just as dumb as a cruise is what you make of it.

I don't care for these phrases either, and they are used here anytime that someone has any type of complaint.

I find it disturbing that people were not given an option to cancel, especially when you stop to think of how many forecasters were calling this "the storm of the century", "the storm of a lifetime".

It is lucky that there weren't more serious injuries. If there had been, people would be viewing this decision to sail in a completely different light.

I am glad that I did not book this cruise as I would have been very scared to get onboard.

...The Explorer is a good ship with a good crew and much of the cruise was very good. However, the decision not to give passengers the opportunity to reschedule was a reckless, unnecessary, and irresponsible risk.

I absolutely agree.

We were on the EOTS also. First of all, the crew did a marvelous job. Kudos to all.

BUT, I don't believe the ship should have sailed. Thank heavens that Sandy obeyed the forecasts because if she would have turned inland earlier, I can't even imagine how much worse of a time we would have had.

We were in one of the cabins that flooded Monday morning and we were promptly moved to a different cabin on the other side of the ship and in the middle of the lonnnnngggggg corridor. Since we were sailing with handicapped friends who were first time cruisers, this really impacted our ability to enjoy the trip as we had expected. When we asked about any kind of compensation for the inconvenience we were offered future cruise credit. After arguing that the problem wasn't on a FUTURE cruise, it was on this one, we were finally offered a small credit. What a poor alternative for a bad decision to sail!

But to me, the worst part of this trip was the poor service we received about the hundreds of cars parked at the port. We were assured by the desk that RCCL was bringing up a contingent of personnel to help with car rentals, taxis, shuttle service, etc who would be on hand. So, how many arrived to help? None! Zero! Zip! When we called RCCL to find out where they were, we were told that no such request had been made. So, we were lied to by the desk personnel because it was an easy solution. Other cruisers reported the same thing, so many just relaxed and made no alternate plans and were left stranded for hours in the cold with cars headed for the crusher. This damage was a direct result of THEIR decision to sail.

I agree that RCCL should have offered credit for re-booking a future cruise and that they wound up with such a loss on the Enchantment that they didn't want a repeat. But, compare that to HUNDREDS of cars that are now headed for the crusher........

Bad decision, RCCL.

I don't care for these phrases either, and they are used here anytime that someone has any type of complaint.

Hi Marci!

I hope you don't mind the lemonade quote in my signature!

I was not scheduled for this cruise, but personally, I would have exercised the option to cancel and re-book if it was offered by RCI. Unfortunately, that option was not offered. Yes, I do purchase cruise insurance, but this storm was unusual. I am honestly not sure what I would have done in this situation.

That being said, I'm glad everyone made it back relatively safely, despite the apparent injuries suffered by some.

Eric

Hi Marci!

I hope you don't mind the lemonade quote in my signature!

Eric

I didn't even notice because I don't read the signatures. I just don't like it when people pull it up to discount someone's experience.

I would have definitely chosen to reschedule. I had recommended one of the October 7 nights to my mother since they were so cheap. Glad she chose not to book as she would have been traumatized for sure.

I posted 4 videos from Monday morning on the Explorer...http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC81kXSeCr5FMdIK33p-3w3Q?feature=mhee

We had 3 cars in the lot at the pier, and all 3 thankfully were OK to drive home (after letting the car run for 30 minutes to get all the water out). We had a rep from the pier, a rep from Royal Carribbean, as well as a tow truck driver available to help us, so we didn't have the same experience as some of you have posted. We disembarked at 9:15, got on the shuttle, picked up our luggage, went through customs, and were under the big white tent by 9:30 am. Everything went so smoothly for us the entire trip, except for going through the storm Sunday into Monday which was unsettling. The crew/staff could not have been nicer. We spoke to Captain Olav as he walked through the Solarium on Monday, and he couldn't have been nicer and apologized if we were uncomfortable. He assured us that the Explorer is a remarkably strong ship and can handle severe storms. He was also under the big white tent on disembarkment and made the time to speak with another member of our group. He must have been confident in his choice or I wouldn't think he would have made himself so visible during the week. Enjoy the videos. God bless everyone who went home to damaged homes following Sandy. I hope things are in order soon.

We were on the EOTS also. First of all, the crew did a marvelous job. Kudos to all.

BUT, I don't believe the ship should have sailed. Thank heavens that Sandy obeyed the forecasts because if she would have turned inland earlier, I can't even imagine how much worse of a time we would have had.

We were in one of the cabins that flooded Monday morning and we were promptly moved to a different cabin on the other side of the ship and in the middle of the lonnnnngggggg corridor. Since we were sailing with handicapped friends who were first time cruisers, this really impacted our ability to enjoy the trip as we had expected. When we asked about any kind of compensation for the inconvenience we were offered future cruise credit. After arguing that the problem wasn't on a FUTURE cruise, it was on this one, we were finally offered a small credit. What a poor alternative for a bad decision to sail!

But to me, the worst part of this trip was the poor service we received about the hundreds of cars parked at the port. We were assured by the desk that RCCL was bringing up a contingent of personnel to help with car rentals, taxis, shuttle service, etc who would be on hand. So, how many arrived to help? None! Zero! Zip! When we called RCCL to find out where they were, we were told that no such request had been made. So, we were lied to by the desk personnel because it was an easy solution. Other cruisers reported the same thing, so many just relaxed and made no alternate plans and were left stranded for hours in the cold with cars headed for the crusher. This damage was a direct result of THEIR decision to sail.

I agree that RCCL should have offered credit for re-booking a future cruise and that they wound up with such a loss on the Enchantment that they didn't want a repeat. But, compare that to HUNDREDS of cars that are now headed for the crusher........

Bad decision, RCCL.

The Damage to the cars was a dirct result of the storm not RCC!! If you drove there then chances are you live close enough to have been effected by the storm if you stayed home. And your car could have been damaged as well.

I didn't even notice because I don't read the signatures. I just don't like it when people pull it up to discount someone's experience.

I would have definitely chosen to reschedule. I had recommended one of the October 7 nights to my mother since they were so cheap. Glad she chose not to book as she would have been traumatized for sure.

Marci,

I agree with you completely! That's why I have it in the signature, with the lime cat reference to poke a bit of fun at that automatic response to people's negative experiences.

I'm glad your mom didn't go on that cruise.

It was good to hear from you. Hope to cruise with you again, just not in a hurricane...;)

Eric

The Damage to the cars was a dirct result of the storm not RCC!! If you drove there then chances are you live close enough to have been effected by the storm if you stayed home. And your car could have been damaged as well.

Puhleeze.

In a hurricane, your car is FAR more likely to be damaged parked at the pier, with the water within a few hundred yards, than at your house, which is most likely at least 10 miles inland.

It IS RCCL's fault, in that they should have given people the OPTION to cancel. It's just the right thing to do.

And on the other hand, since you obviously can't trust companies to do the right thing, I hope everyone has learned a valuable lesson: buy the cancel for any reason insurance!!!!!

Kaykels has now reported she personnally can atest to broken arms, so that is the proof I required. But we had people with broken arm and another with a broken leg on one of our cruises and the sea was flat as a pancake. It happens.

I know that this cruise was more dangerous than that cruise was, but I also think the decision to continue was valid. And as Kaykels has said, "I am glad I went. Now I have a story to tell".

Oops. She has now retracted that statement???

And the opinion on that matter from those of us who were sitting home instead of on the ship is probably of as much value as all of the speculation going on here that you have spoken of. As for me, I still say making the decision to take passengers out to sea during a hurricane for something that is nothing more than a pleasure trip is questionable in my mind. And that is coming from someone who had the storm in his backyard. But both of our opinions are equally valid.

What song would you be singing today if the ship had happened to loose power as the Carnival ship did in the Pacific a couple of years ago? Making the decision to take passengers out to sea for a pleasure trip with a hurricane in sight is somehow is questionable at best. You are correct, ships sail through storms all the time. People are usually instructed to evacuate hurricane areas and wait for them to pass.

And just because a ship is "capable" of handling a "severe storm" doesn't mean it should be put to the test. No ship is invincible.

Just a very disappointing decision by Royal. Passengers should have been given the option to cancel in the face of this devastating storm. Done.

Not true. I'm only 90 minutes to the pier and we'll be driving there in March. My car was not damaged at all by the storm.

Yeah, well whatever would have damaged my car would have had to get into my garage first.

No one stops to think that:

1. It is always safer to stay nearer land in the event that you lose power or have problems, i.e. nearer to help

2. The Coast Guard may have had some input in the decision

3. The strongest winds of a hurricane are in the upper right hand quadrant, not the lower left quadrant.

4. The suggested track of the storm was out to sea headed north and then a dog leg left into NJ so the route followed was actually the right one in retrospect, as the safe return of the ship and passengers has demonstrated.

BTW, people break arms on cruises all the time, fair weather or foul. And no one has posted that experience on here. Everyone has said, "we heard of people breaking arms, etc." How do you know that anyone broke anything that might not have happened regardless? Especially when you weren't even aboard?:cool: Too much speculation on these boards from too many people who know exactly zero about the situation.

Since you were not on the cruise, YOU know zero about the situation yet continue to act as an RCCL apologists.

Archived