*** The Galveston, Texas "Cruise Cam" Watch Group ***

Traveling from Austin for a weekend beach get away. Any suggestions?

I'm prestigious but

there is more to do in Galveston!

One thing is the gulf beach is right in town in Galveston with everything else!

In Corpus it's a half hour away from town.

If it's just partying you can do at either though.

What is your idea of a fun beach get away?

May have some ideas for y'all,

if you have never been to Galveston.

Edited by ssb

Love the pics, Dylan!! And I'm a bit jealous.. one of these days I'll get to meet Mary and Lee in person. :) And we were right there at that time, too, having yummies at La King's. We need to all have a meetup or something!

Wow we will have to do it,

Can 't believe we missed the opportunity.

I met Galveston Cruiser (Mary) and SSB (Lee) at Pier 21 yesterday. Very nice people! :) Here are a couple of pics they took of me:

Me.jpg

me_%282%29.jpg

Yes, I cropped the pictures. I figured giving the thumbs up looks awkward when I'm standing at a slight angle to the camera. I look a lot less awkward in these pictures than when I met Rancher Dave a few years ago, though looking at my messed up hair in the first pic is bothering me. I guess it wasn't long enough for my pony tail.

I have no idea why my photo host made the annoying watermark is so huge in the second picture. I will see if I can post a picture of the three of us later...

Yes we finally met Dylan

And we have known him since he was 14 years old on Cruise Critic.

Which was When he started the first thread of Galveston Cruise Cam a Group THREAD.

We are all on the second thread because cruise critic had to abort the first

because if the size and number of posts. That's how popular it has been.

We thoroughly enjoyed our afternoon, dinner,

and evening at Olympia grill with Dylan. It is also fun to watch a departure of a cruise ship with him.

And to do it with Dylan was special. :D

We then took him back to meet with his family

in our convertible and for for a beach ride. It was a wonderful day.

We shall look forward to doing it again with him.

And continuing our new friendship with this fine young man.

Have a successful college school year Dylan.

Lee and Mary

Edited by ssb

I'm prestigious but

there is more to do in Galveston!

One thing is the gulf beach is right in town in Galveston with everything else!

In Corpus it's a half hour away from town.

If it's just partying you can do at either though.

What is your idea of a fun beach get away?

May have some ideas for y'all,

if you have never been to Galveston.

Typical beach day for us is to walk , then sit on the beach, swim, read, lounge. Evening we look for a nice dinner. Family vacations. Somewhere on this thread I received lots of help with our daughter's move to Austin. She miss ed our annual beach vacation so would like to visit the beach there. We will be visiting her for a week and are looking for a beach. Any recommendations are appreciated as well as a hotel. Thanks!!

I met Galveston Cruiser (Mary) and SSB (Lee) at Pier 21 yesterday. Very nice people! :) Here are a couple of pics they took of me:

Me.jpg

me_%282%29.jpg

Yes, I cropped the pictures. I figured giving the thumbs up looks awkward when I'm standing at a slight angle to the camera. I look a lot less awkward in these pictures than when I met Rancher Dave a few years ago, though looking at my messed up hair in the first pic is bothering me. I guess it wasn't long enough for my pony tail.

I have no idea why my photo host made the annoying watermark is so huge in the second picture. I will see if I can post a picture of the three of us later...

Saw you were going to Galveston.

Rancher Tori kicked off her high school career today and because she was getting ready, including trying to read a book she had all Summer before class this morning, we stuck around in Houston. She did enjoy her first day at DeBakey HSHP. Guess tomorrow the full homework load hits.

Enjoy college. Soon enough you will be on a cruise for Spring Break with friends from college.

Cheap Nav cruise on Oct 12. Thru Wednesday. If we weren't in Europe, I'd sure book it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm already booked on it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by SRV FAN

Wow we will have to do it,

Can 't believe we missed the opportunity.

The BF and I are going to be back this Sunday so I can bring a few more things to my son on campus, and all three of us are going to watch Magic and Navigator sailaway. Y'all going to be around, by any chance?

Last night, on the History2 channel. The 10 things you did not know about Texas.

The number one thing was the 1900 hurricane. It talked about the tenacity of those folks, the building of the sea wall, the re-birth of the island.

Worst disaster in the history of the USA...yes, worse than katrina...despite CNN's efforts to say differently.

Last night, on the History2 channel. The 10 things you did not know about Texas.

The number one thing was the 1900 hurricane. It talked about the tenacity of those folks, the building of the sea wall, the re-birth of the island.

Worst disaster in the history of the USA...yes, worse than katrina...despite CNN's efforts to say differently.

DH's (SSB) family was a 1900 storm survivor - though they lost 27 family members.

After Rita, he asked if I wanted to stay on the island. He didn't ask me after Ike as he already knew the answer:)

The BF and I are going to be back this Sunday so I can bring a few more things to my son on campus, and all three of us are going to watch Magic and Navigator sailaway. Y'all going to be around, by any chance?

Unless it is pouring - we will find you on Pier 21:D

Will be there around 3:30 - 3:45

Mary

Hey! Just thinking about the upgrade to the Royal Caribbean terminal..... Have any of you locals seen any activity on that??? Seems like it's supposed to be complete by late 2015???? Not sure of that date tho... I've slept since reading that a few

months ago.... :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Beautiful sunrise this morning over the ships on the Pier 23 cam! We board in two months. I cannot wait.

Regarding expansion of Terminal 2, I have seen nothing since this announcement.

http://www.cruisehive.com/port-of-galveston-upgrade-cruise-terminal-thanks-to-royal-caribbean-agreement/2224

Main complaints are the general line inefficiencies, especially waiting for the security scanning, and lack of seating for embarking passengers and the long, long wait times for disembarking passengers, especially at customs and having to pay Texas taxes for duty free items purchased. New terminal will likely improve embarkation but disembarkation issues or more lack of manpower. Too few customs agenst for the passenger volume. I hope this commitment gets both expanded custom line capacity and a commit to staff them.

Beautiful sunrise this morning over the ships on the Pier 23 cam! We board in two months. I cannot wait.

Regarding expansion of Terminal 2, I have seen nothing since this announcement.

http://www.cruisehive.com/port-of-galveston-upgrade-cruise-terminal-thanks-to-royal-caribbean-agreement/2224

Main complaints are the general line inefficiencies, especially waiting for the security scanning, and lack of seating for embarking passengers and the long, long wait times for disembarking passengers, especially at customs and having to pay Texas taxes for duty free items purchased. New terminal will likely improve embarkation but disembarkation issues or more lack of manpower. Too few customs agenst for the passenger volume. I hope this commitment gets both expanded custom line capacity and a commit to staff them.

In Texas you get to bring $800 of duty free goods without paying taxes on them, EXCEPT for alcohol and cigarettes. You are taxed $3.75 per liter of alcohol and $1.50 per pack of cigarettes. With that said, as I walked passed the window on the way to the door, I saw NO ONE going up to the window to declare these purchases and pay taxes. They are not searching your bags and the window is after you go through US customs.

In Texas you get to bring $800 of duty free goods without paying taxes on them, EXCEPT for alcohol and cigarettes. You are taxed $3.75 per liter of alcohol and $1.50 per pack of cigarettes. With that said, as I walked passed the window on the way to the door, I saw NO ONE going up to the window to declare these purchases and pay taxes. They are not searching your bags and the window is after you go through US customs.

Yep....Someone in my group walked right past it with three 5th's in his backpack. :confused:

Nice sail away for Navigator. Everybody standing around the decks. I wish them a great cruise.

Hey, at least they left on Sunday. Because of the March cruise, our Oasis TA from Rotterdam ended up costing $203-taxes, insurance and all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk