A Guessing Game...... What Is Next?

sail7seas

Jacquie,

Congratulations on doing a last minute cruise. I personally think they are great having done a couple in our life. Enjoy - looking forward to your report. Barbara

This is the first time that we have been able to do it - thanks:)

My biggest worry was making sure my dogs could go to their favourite spot - luckily thanks to my TA - I found out they will extend a hold 24 hours for you! (I learn something new every day) and they are all set:D

this is really new for us - the roll call is all packed and I'm barely calling the newspapers to cancel:eek: Lots of stuff to do here - but what the heck it's the Caribbean - warm weather makes packing easier - just the choices:D

This is the first time that we have been able to do it - thanks:)

My biggest worry was making sure my dogs could go to their favourite spot - luckily thanks to my TA - I found out they will extend a hold 24 hours for you! (I learn something new every day) and they are all set:D

this is really new for us - the roll call is all packed and I'm barely calling the newspapers to cancel:eek: Lots of stuff to do here - but what the heck it's the Caribbean - warm weather makes packing easier - just the choices:D

I still have a lot of packing to do so don't worry

I love booking last minute. The prices are much cheaper. Why would anyone book a year in advance?

I'm using airline C Card miles for the airfare, so there is no problem booking 2-3 weeks in advance. Of course i put the cruise on hold for 24 hours and book my air.

About the OP Question.... I miss the Dam $ fun, and the 'good' gifts. Whats next??? Not to much left to pick from, how about the cloth towels in the bathrooms? How about the yum yum guy?

Why would anyone book a year out? Why would anyone book a year and 1/2 out - the prices are much cheaper if the ship is not sold out at the last minute, right? :D

for us, a) we need air fare and i try to use FF miles and b) I am fussy on itineraries for our longer cruises and certain cabins.

Here's the rub - my Prinsendam cruise had been booked for over a year already and we still have 6 months to go!:D My cabin category has been sold out for nearly 9 months:eek:

Some private tours were already gone last winter:eek: We were all shocked. Our private tours are lined up = our flights are lined up (all but one - mine (gulp) -(Dh threatens I am going by pony express).

Seriously -it depends upon where and when you are going - I'm delighted to have finally snatched a last minute deal for the first time ever BUT this is the Caribbean - no planning - no biggie - just find air fare that you can live with - Europe is a whole different kettle of fish for us - we like small transfers and private tours - more importantly - we like to cross the pond in business class using FF points - if you are not there at 355 days out you don't get them.

Gladly book well in advance - it has paid off in private tours, air fare, etc. (It might not pay off on the cruise - but there is more to a cruise cost than the cruise itself):D

Just let me say, we're leaving Celebrity for now and cruising on HAL because we don't like the stuff that's been going on with X for the last two years. I guess when one has been cruising with one line for so long, and we see the obvious downfalls of that line, we try and see if the grass is greener or the ocean is bluer on another line. Unfortunately, it's not, although we are hoping our soon to happen Eurodam cruise will be excellent. Cost cutting is going on for every line and the decline in food and service, and in items that were once free and now we pay, is just a part of the cruise experience. If passengers still demand irrationally low prices but still want a "Crystal" experience, it's just not going to happen. If you want all the special touches back, and you want more staff to be hired so the current ones aren't overworked, then expect much higher fares.

Oh, and as a frequent Crystal cruiser, I absolutely hate many of the things that Crystal is changing. For the prices they charge, one should expect that they don't need to change what's been working for many years, but they're doing it, and it's not made a lot of their loyal cruisers happy. For instance, they used to have two welcome aboard parties and two Crystal society parties, with the time dependent on your dining time. Now, there's only one party, smack in the middle of the dinner hour. Many now choose not to go. Another change is only one show time. Used to be that there was an early show and then the same show at 10:45. Now, there's only one. That's only two changes of many that are turning away the "old timers" who loved Crystal. So, every line, regardless of cost, is changing, and many times, not for the better.

That's interesting to hear about Celebrity and Crystal. I do appreciate you posting your experiences. It is hard to figure out why Crystal would make changes. You'd think they'd be thrilled to retain their repeat customer base. I would do nothing to upset that balance.

I guess all the lines have cut backs and changes. We just returned from a Uniworld river cruise and it was amazing. The food, the service, the cabin ... it was all wonderful. And while it was little bit more expensive than what we spent on our last HAL cruise, there was no comparison at all. HAL didn't hold a candle to Uniworld. So, that's what we're looking for. If we're going to be plunking down 8 - 10 - 12k for the cruise portion, we expect decent furniture, a functioning toilet (ours only took two flushes each time!) and a working A/C. I know things go south ... we own a business and when something goes wrong, it usually goes wrong big and fast! Things happen. But I am tired of hearing the same thing over and over about HAL and their broken-down fleet. Fix it! Darn it! We love HAL and we hate changing!!

If this report is true about charging for cappuccino and espresso in the main dining room, that would be very disappointing. Even on Carnival, as of my last cruise which was January of 2012, there was no charge for those beverages in their main dining room.

Just got off Carnival and they did indeed charge for Cappuccino and espress in dining room. $2.95 if I am correct. :(

Would love to know what kind of a suite you can get for $2000. I've paid that for an inside room. You must have booked late to get a deal like that. One more case of giving the farm away while others are being gouged. I for sure need to change my bookings so I can take advantage of HAL instead of getting gouged.

I would guess Carribean cruise. There is lots of competition out of Florida.

Here's a sure-fire money-maker to enhance the bottom line:

Just as in Europe, start charging for use of the public restrooms.

"The bathroom in your cabin is included in your fare, but for extra convenience (along with a small added fee) there are public restrooms scattered throughout the ship."

I love booking last minute. The prices are much cheaper. Why would anyone book a year in advance?

Because my wife is a senior manager where she works and she simply can't walk in and say "I'm going on vacation for two weeks". Her planning horizon is 18 months, that's how far out she has to work in vacation time for not only for herself but for her deputy and their joint staff in two different cities. We found if we don't research, plan, and book a cruise a year out it winds up not happening. Her bosses look at the master calendar and if you don't fill in the blanks they will. Might sound harsh but it's a two edged sword, no job no cruise. :)

"The bathroom in your cabin is included in your fare, but for extra convenience (along with a small added fee) there are public restrooms scattered throughout the ship."

LOL Ruth!! convenient conveniences:D

Love it :D but I hope HAL isn't reading this thread. They will get ideas.

If that were the case, I couldn't afford to cruise.:)

Originally Posted by lorekauf viewpost.gif

Would love to know what kind of a suite you can get for $2000. I've paid that for an inside room. You must have booked late to get a deal like that. One more case of giving the farm away while others are being gouged. I for sure need to change my bookings so I can take advantage of HAL instead of getting gouged.

As you know - we book at least a year in advance if not a year and 1/2. Well, DH had some time and low and behold there was a sale - Lorekauf - I can tell you we snagged an SC guarantee on the Westerdam for under $1300 per person - ended up in SA - love it that I got the deal, but like you I agree - if HAL would change their booking strategy and offer discounted fares early like others do we would all be a lot happier:D In the meantime - what the heck - if someone is going to do this why not us? However - here's the caveat - the air fare was very tricky this late in the game. It took a bit of work - otherwise our airfare would have been as much as one person's cruise! I've been on enough cruises where I have seen people get these deals and I paid 'full fare' and booked months in advance. It's nice to get this deal - but in all honesty - if HAL changed their pricing and made early booking a 'deal' we would all be better off. But that's just my opinion of course;)

I would guess Carribean cruise. There is lots of competition out of Florida.

Yes, it is the December 15th Western Caribbean. The same is true of the cruise prior to that to the east as well.

I originally booked a balcony guarantee and upsold myself to a superior suite for $150 more pp. Hal then bumped it up to the deluxe as an upgrade. So the deluxe ended up only costing the upsell for $799 pp plus taxes. Tips will be a slightly higher but at this price I will gladly do that.

I guess those two weeks are a bit slower selling as many want to get their Chirstmas shopping done.

That's a good one! Don't give them any ideas!! :)

Because my wife is a senior manager where she works and she simply can't walk in and say "I'm going on vacation for two weeks". Her planning horizon is 18 months, that's how far out she has to work in vacation time for not only for herself but for her deputy and their joint staff in two different cities. We found if we don't research, plan, and book a cruise a year out it winds up not happening. Her bosses look at the master calendar and if you don't fill in the blanks they will. Might sound harsh but it's a two edged sword, no job no cruise. :)

It helps if you are fortunate enough to live in Florida. I retired early, my wife is a school teacher so we do have to work around her schedule. I can see why many want to book ahead, get their schedule in order and insure they have what they want. I guess it is also harder to book the longer trips, mine are usually seven days or even shorter for a Bahama run.

It is a two edged sword also, you risk that rooms will sell out, that prices will go up not down, which is often the case, especially during the holidays. I also am not picky where I am on the ship, so booking a GTY for me is a viable option. I realize others don't have that luxury.

Supply, demand, risk, reward, all about Economics 101. :)

Originally Posted by lorekauf viewpost.gif

As you know - we book at least a year in advance if not a year and 1/2. Well, DH had some time and low and behold there was a sale - Lorekauf - I can tell you we snagged an SC guarantee on the Westerdam for under $1300 per person - ended up in SA - love it that I got the deal, but like you I agree - if HAL would change their booking strategy and offer discounted fares early like others do we would all be a lot happier:D In the meantime - what the heck - if someone is going to do this why not us? However - here's the caveat - the air fare was very tricky this late in the game. It took a bit of work - otherwise our airfare would have been as much as one person's cruise! I've been on enough cruises where I have seen people get these deals and I paid 'full fare' and booked months in advance. It's nice to get this deal - but in all honesty - if HAL changed their pricing and made early booking a 'deal' we would all be better off. But that's just my opinion of course;)

That a great deal! I'm happy to see you get it because you drop plenty of cash on HAL. You paid less for that then I did for my balcony. I hope Lisa is correct in saying that HAL is looking at lowering prices for early bookings. That way they can start to reward their loyal customers. Have a great cruise. I'm not sure how much of your live thread I'll be seeing since I'll be on the ship for 2 weeks.

That a great deal! I'm happy to see you get it because you drop plenty of cash on HAL. You paid less for that then I did for my balcony. I hope Lisa is correct in saying that HAL is looking at lowering prices for early bookings. That way they can start to reward their loyal customers.

thanks - I've been on the other shoe too many times and I know how you feel - I do think Lisa has the 'pulse' of the organization - lots of cruise lines including the 'famed' Oceania offer discounts if you book early -hopefully HAL gets with the program.

We don't live near FLL so doing this stuff is not easy = first time we have ever booked less than a year out (literally). To me, those people that book way out should be rewarded and frankly like you I find it hard to swallow that someone else got my category of a cabin for a steal. If HAL priced them right early - there would be no steals (I would like to think at least - and if there are we have no one to blame). In any case that's not the way it is right now - so the deal was there - first it wasn't do-able and then it was - so we are doing it - just in time for Dh's birthday (shhh - it's a secret ) Thanks for your kind wishes - we fly out one week today to enjoy some warmth in FLL, meet some great cc friends and then board next Sunday. Life is good :D

thanks - I've been on the other shoe too many times and I know how you feel - I do think Lisa has the 'pulse' of the organization - lots of cruise lines including the 'famed' Oceania offer discounts if you book early -hopefully HAL gets with the program.

We don't live near FLL so doing this stuff is not easy = first time we have ever booked less than a year out (literally). To me, those people that book way out should be rewarded and frankly like you I find it hard to swallow that someone else got my category of a cabin for a steal. If HAL priced them right early - there would be no steals (I would like to think at least - and if there are we have no one to blame). In any case that's not the way it is right now - so the deal was there - first it wasn't do-able and then it was - so we are doing it - just in time for Dh's birthday (shhh - it's a secret ) Thanks for your kind wishes - we fly out one week today to enjoy some warmth in FLL, meet some great cc friends and then board next Sunday. Life is good :D

Let's wave to each other since we'll be there at the same time. As you know I'm far, far way from Florida so it's not easy for me either. I'm really close to Vancouver but there are never any deals for Alaska (not like Florida anyway).

Let's wave to each other since we'll be there at the same time. As you know I'm far, far way from Florida so it's not easy for me either. I'm really close to Vancouver but there are never any deals for Alaska (not like Florida anyway).

Sounds like a great plan to me - man you have a long way to travel - I must learn your jet lag tricks eventually:D

Smooth seas and a great sail a way:D

Sounds like a great plan to me - man you have a long way to travel - I must learn your jet lag tricks eventually:D

:D

Wish I had some tricks. That's why I don't go overseas. I'm just praying my flight leaves Calgary on time tomorrow since they moved up the Toronto flight.

As you can see I have been cruising for many years and on many cruiselines (not delux). I have not yet seen any extra charges for anything that I got in the early days. The only thing I have seen a surcharge for is for items that were not available in my early days such as specialty restaurants.

Maybe I am not fussy. I have been pleasantly surprised on all of the cruises I have taken.

I am looking forward to my first HAL cruise next May.

Archived