Brazilian Visa

wailea4me

We just booked a cruise with Oceania departing Buenos Aires 3/6/13 with the cruise ending in Rio so we need a Visa for the Brazil stops. The cruise line charges $399 per person for handling the visa request through CIBT. I checked the CIBT website myself and the cost is much cheaper if I go thru CIBT directly and not through Oceania. Has anyone done this and is it safe?

Also, there is a warning on the CIBT site that the Brazilian consulate in Chicago is only accepting Visa applications in person right now due to a technical problem. Does anyone know anything about this?

I also saw another website somewhere in these boards for obtaining a Visa - bcvisa.com. Has anyone used this company and is it safe?

Thanks in advance for any advice. We have never needed a visa before, just passports.

I recently went through CIBT and it cost under $300 ($264? I don't remember exactly) per visa. The cost included the visa, their fee, shipping. I had several questions that I had to call them about and they were very helpful. It only took a couple of weeks to receive it.

there appear to be problems with getting a Brazilian Visa at this time. You should check the Brazil consulate near you (info should be available on their website) for further info.

Several cruisers on our Carnival March cruise into Brazil have cancelled due to the possibility they might not get their visas in time.

You can check our roll call for the Carnival Splendor "round the horn" cruise for further info.

Wow, bummer about the technology-based visa delay issue. This visa agent's news feed seems to be staying on top of the status:

https://perryvisa.com/webPages/updateRss.php

OP, we used the agent you mention, bcvisa.com, this spring 2012 and were super impressed with their speedy processing and customer service. But they can only process your visa app if you live in one of the states served by the Houston consulate.

Here is a list of all of the Brazilian consulates in the US and the states they serve--you must apply to the one that covers your state. The application process and procedures vary slightly from consulate to consulate, so follow the instructions that apply to you and don't worry what someone else is doing in another jurisdiction!

http://houston.itamaraty.gov.br/en-us/jurisdictions.xml

Hope you are able to get your visas and make that trip!

Wow, bummer about the technology-based visa delay issue.

From what I've heard/read, "technology based" seems to mean lacking in supplies (paper stamps, ink, etc) that the Brazilian Consulates requested and which have not arrived, some say for budgetary (screwup) reasons in the 'burro-cracy'.

The Brazil consulate in Vancouver is now stating that the "technical" issue in processing visas has now been resolved and they anticipate the backlog will be taken care of within the next few weeks.

Hopefully other consulates will offer the same good news.

We received our visas in July within three working days,hopefully they will be back to that time frame soon, but if you still need one, don't delay, who knows when the next "technical issue" will arise!!

Good luck!!

We live in San Francisco and yesterday, we were able to apply for the Visa and make an appointment in 3 weeks for the actual processing via the internet. When you do the application and get the processing number, you have to do the actual processing within a month at the consulate! :o

We live in San Francisco and yesterday, we were able to apply for the Visa and make an appointment in 3 weeks for the actual processing via the internet. When you do the application and get the processing number, you have to do the actual processing within a month at the consulate! :o

That's the process at the San Francisco Consulate. Readers here should not assume that is the process at their own Brazilian Consulate because all are a bit different regarding regulations. (This is the first I've ever heard of the "one month" issue.)

True that every consulate has different requirements and different processing times. Take no chances and go on the websites for the consulate near you and follow their instructions. For those of us in Southern California, the process was extremely easy...fill out a form on line, choose an appointment time to drop off the visa application and passports, get a return appointment (in my case, one week later) and then come back and pick up the passports.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've never had to get a visa before, either, so was concerned when I read the warning about Brazilian visas on the CIBT web site. I needed to apply in November for a cruise leaving in January which would put me in Brazil in February (the 90 days requirement). I used the CIBT website and FEDEX. I got the visa roughly 30 days after applying. The telephone Customer Service at CIBT was good. The email I sent was never answered, so if you have questions, call.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe we are on the same Oceania cruise radiant rhythms BA to Rio march 6. we filled out the forms online and bringing to brazilian consulate in NYC.. total comes to 160 pp. there is the equivalent in Chicago if you are from Chicago.

If you are flying into BA you will need to fill out online reciprocity tax before your flight which i think is also 160 pp for argentina.

barbara

We did this by going to Brazil website. They responded to our questions same day. We did not use a service. Pictures from our camera, statement of credit card showing credit limit, copy of itinerary and the ship can provide a local address. One step at a time. We sent out on 11/15 and received back before Christmas. good luck

Archived