a new Oasis-class ship to be built

Denpetter

Why do some people drive a Chevrolet and some a Cadillac? Options, status... Both are nice cars, but some pay more because they want to.

It is obvious that the Oasis Class provides more options for dining and entertainment than any other cruise ship afloat.

The Oasis Class also has the largest passenger size ratio of any ship. Meaning there is more space per passenger onboard an Oasis Class ship then there is on a Radiance, Voyager or any other class of ship.

Oasis

225,282 GT - 5,400 dbl / 6,360 max

Freedom

154,407 GT - 3,634 dbl / 4,375 max

Voyager

138,279 GT - 3,114 dbl / 3,807 max

Radiance

90,090 GT - 2,139 dbl / 2,502 max

I don't know if Radiance passenger figures are correct. Wikipedia and Cruise Critic both list different numbers.

How did you know ? My two previous cars were Cadillac STS `s .

Based on your numbers, Oasis has the least space per passenger out of all 4 classes.

Oasis 41.72 per passenger

Freedom 42.49 per passenger

Voyager 44.40 per passenger

Radiance 42.11 per passenger

All based on double occupancy.

This ratio comparison makes sense only for ships of similar design principles.

Oasis Class is very different. These ships have a lot of usable space that is not included in GT.

I think what Royal likes is that these ships are appealing to a different demographic of passingers, dispite the fact that lots of us loyal Royals have been testing them out we still prefer the Radiance, Voyager and Freedom classes.

They also like others have stated is that they have been able to keep prices higher than average on their other 7 day itinerarys.

just my thoughts

Brian J

Correct me if this is wrong, but I read just now that with the retractable smoke stacks that a Oasis size ship can make it under the Varranzano bridge? I always thought that was not possible.

Varrazano Bridge has 228' clearance and the Oasis class ships had to squeeze under the Great Belt Bridge in Denmark with only 213' clearance. Should be doable.

Wow huh, thanks for the info. I just never gave it a thought thinking it just wouldn't fit under the Varranzano. Interesting info, I thought the Freedom size was the limit with that bridge. Thanks again for the info.

Unless they make some considerable design changes in Oasis 3, it is very unlikely that the new ship would sail in anything but someplace like the Caribbean where it is warm year round. My money is on moving the original Oasis to Port Canaveral where it would be paired with Freedom on Saturday/Sunday departures. Then Oasis 3 and Allure would do the same itineraries as now from Fort Lauderdale. This is not what I WANT to happen but I think it is what we will get.

Best bet for Port Liberty is one of the Sunshine ships.

Unless they make some considerable design changes in Oasis 3, it is very unlikely that the new ship would sail in anything but someplace like the Caribbean where it is warm year round. My money is on moving the original Oasis to Port Canaveral where it would be paired with Freedom on Saturday/Sunday departures. Then Oasis 3 and Allure would do the same itineraries as now from Fort Lauderdale. This is not what I WANT to happen but I think it is what we will get.

Best bet for Port Liberty is one of the Sunshine ships.

Oh yeah I never thought it was coming here, it makes little sense to port that ship here. I was more interested if it actually could make it under that bridge. I never even gave it a thought, just thought it couldn't but now i learned it could. I would be over the moon if we got a new "Sunshine" ship up here. I've got my fingers crossed for it.

Today this was corrected in local media. the new oasis class ship is expected to be delivered in late 2015. :)

We were on the Explorer in October and were told the fist Sunshine ship is going to be based in Bayonne and the Explorer will leave. The Sunshine ships will have a completely covered pool deck that can be rolled back once they get into the Caribbean. So if all that is true it makes sense to base it in Bayonne.

We were on the Explorer in October and were told the fist Sunshine ship is going to be based in Bayonne and the Explorer will leave. The Sunshine ships will have a completely covered pool deck that can be rolled back once they get into the Caribbean. So if all that is true it makes sense to base it in Bayonne.

All these reports are getting me too excited. I hope this is all true!

Archived