HAL is starting to lose me

jaguarstyper

Someone mentioned they would have to book a Penthouse on HAL for the cost to be nearly comparable. The most important thing to consider is, the CHEAPEST Regent category on Navigator is a cabin 300 sq. ft. You would have to compare with a very large HAL cabin. People who drink a LOT (coffee, sodas in addition to alcohol) also get more bang for their buck!
I said that. The Penthouse Suites on HAL are around 1000 sqft, the much cheaper Deluxe Veranda Suites are over 500 sqft. And having to drink a LOT to make up the difference is an understatement. Nothing against Regent, I'm sure its a fine cruise line and someday I hope to experience it. But there is no way you can compare it to HAL on the basis of price.

Honestly, I think your comment was pretty misguided. You don't know what any of us pay for our cruises or how much we spend when on-board. I'm not sure what you meant by your comment other than to insult those who try to spend as little as possible, but are unhappy when things aren't delivered as well as they should be. What cabin you are in or how much you spend is irrelevant. You pay your fare, you sleep where you can afford, but everyone should expect the same level of service when on the ship. That's the way it works. If you're unhappy with the service you receive, you have every right to complain about it. Regardless of how much you paid.

And I haven't really complained, I stated what happened on the Monarch and that I wasn't crazy about the food and have basically agreed about two things, one, that service and food quality has fallen and two, that there seems to always be a hand extended, whether it is to go to a shop talk, overpriced shore excursions, water, juice, whatever the subject of the day is.

Actually I have talked about how great a bargain I've gotten and how happy I am to of gotten it. And that is her rub. I'm going to enjoy my cruise. :D

Honestly, I think your comment was pretty misguided. You don't know what any of us pay for our cruises or how much we spend when on-board. I'm not sure what you meant by your comment other than to insult those who try to spend as little as possible, but are unhappy when things aren't delivered as well as they should be. What cabin you are in or how much you spend is irrelevant. You pay your fare, you sleep where you can afford, but everyone should expect the same level of service when on the ship. That's the way it works. If you're unhappy with the service you receive, you have every right to complain about it. Regardless of how much you paid.

I don't know why in the world you think I was speaking of you. There are cheapskates on board even if you choose not to believe it. I was on one cruise and one of my tablemates removed all the HSC. Her explanation was that no one tips her in her job, why should she have to tip others. She had those waiters running night after night. To me that is cheap and there s/b no level of service associated with that.

There are people that have lost their lives to cancer etc. People have lost their jobs. People have lost everything in the most recent hurricane. I think all of us that are going on cruises are living a pretty sweet life even if we have to pay for coffee or juice.

Back to the original issue....We are long-time HAL cruisers, but we just returned from 10 days on the Norwegian Sun, somewhat comparable in size to Eurodam, and had a very good cruise....for about half what it would have cost on HAL.

We have not cruised NCL very much in the past and, admittedly, there is a lot of onboard selling, but it's easy to ignore...and some of the smaller restaurants were very good and very reasonable, easily as good as the Pinnacle Grill.

HAL is changing, no question about it. After many years cruising, we just don't put all of our eggs in one basket. We shop around.

IMO

Me too, which is why I tried the Monarch and now the Westerdam. One month from today, it is getting exciting!

Yes it is! I'm sure, despite HAL going to the dogs, I'll have a great time on this cruise. Since I won't be in a Deluxe Suite, no one will listen if I complain, so I might as well suck it up and have fun. And I plan to do just that! :D :D

Yes it is! I'm sure, despite HAL going to the dogs, I'll have a great time on this cruise. Since I won't be in a Deluxe Suite, no one will listen if I complain, so I might as well suck it up and have fun. And I plan to do just that! :D :D

Hey, I am just hoping they don't try to downgrade it back to a superior after all this! You and your friends are definitely going to be invited over if and when I ever find out where it is!:D Reservations said it won't happen, but ya know.....

I agree, never saw Oceania cheaper then mass market line:o .Maybe I don't know where to look?

I have no idea if Oceania is less or more than HAL for Verandah's or Suites., but I do know they were less in 2007 than our HAL cruise was in 2006 for similar Outside cabins..

We took a 25 day Prinsendam cruise to the Amazon in April of 2006 in an outside "E" cabin & our fare was $437.52 per day including port charges & taxes with 15 ports...

In Nov of 2007, we took a 26 day cruise to the Amazon on Oceania, in a deluxe outside cabin & our fare was $342.23 per day..Oceania deducted from our price $500 for airfare which we did not use... Had we used the airfare the cabin would have been $363.46 per day with 16 similar ports..

You must not forget that as Hawaiidan mentions Oceania includes airfare..

Oceania's alternative Restaurants which are fantastic are all included in the cabin prices..We ate in the alternative's about seven or eight times because they were so good (a steakhouse & a an Italian Rest)...Oceania's Hotel Service charge was about $1.00 more than HAL's for outside/inside cabins & $2.50 (I believe) more for suites at that time..Everyone, including the lovely girl who was cleaning the public rooms always gave us a big smile & asked if we are enjoying ourselves..When we left the dining room every waiter we passed wished us a good day & they were always smiling..

We really enjoyed Oceania & have sailed on them twice..Their ships are similar in size to HAL's "R" & "S" ships & service is beyond excellent for all cabin classes...

However, there are several things which HAL has that Oceania doesn't.. One is the wrap around Promenade deck which we love & spend our days on...Hal's high tea is wonderful but Oceania's is good too..HAL has better production shows than Oceania does..I also miss not having formal nights, but that is just me, as I mostly wore the same type of clothes sans long skits & dresses, which I normally wear on HAL & don't think DH missed not wearing a suit, but he did wear a Jacket many times..We never saw anyone on Oceania sloppily dressed & shorts are not permitted in the MDR..

However, if push comes to shove I guess you can call me a HAL cheerleader, which I'm not ashamed of...Perhaps it's because both DH's Father & my Grandfather were from the Netherlands & it's like going home for us..

Cheers...:)Betty

.........but I have to ask the question, where are you going because the other mid priced cruise lines are doing the same thing. I like to read the other boards just to understand what is going on within the other lines. Unless your willing to upgrade to the more expensive all inclusive lines, I think your walking yourself from one frying pan to another. Just my opinion.

totally agree!

I said that. The Penthouse Suites on HAL are around 1000 sqft, the much cheaper Deluxe Veranda Suites are over 500 sqft. And having to drink a LOT to make up the difference is an understatement. Nothing against Regent, I'm sure its a fine cruise line and someday I hope to experience it. But there is no way you can compare it to HAL on the basis of price.

I would have to agree with you, even though Regent does a comparison to HAL in their brochure. I haven't done a seriously accurate comparison, but I did try to compare a Prinsendam cruise (which I believe is more expensive than the other HAL ships). From what I can remember, it was between 100-200/day more on Regent. However, I truly believe once you travel on Regent, nothing will ever compare. You are paying for a truly wonderful experience---which to me, is worth an extra $200/day!

I would have to agree with you, even though Regent does a comparison to HAL in their brochure. I haven't done a seriously accurate comparison, but I did try to compare a Prinsendam cruise (which I believe is more expensive than the other HAL ships). From what I can remember, it was between 100-200/day more on Regent. However, I truly believe once you travel on Regent, nothing will ever compare. You are paying for a truly wonderful experience---which to me, is worth an extra $200/day!

Linda - I always find your posts interesting - I was really intrigued by Regent - BUT the itineraries I saw were just blah! I guess we are still at the stage that we want to do different things. Right now free airfare is not attractive as long as I can use my FF miles - when they run out - then we will be looking and re-evaluating. Thanks for the info.

for now, the P'dam had the best itinerary for what we wanted so we will head off on her next year (oh yes, and my little cheap, last minute escape on the Westerdam next week):D

Linda - I always find your posts interesting - I was really intrigued by Regent - BUT the itineraries I saw were just blah! I guess we are still at the stage that we want to do different things. Right now free airfare is not attractive as long as I can use my FF miles - when they run out - then we will be looking and re-evaluating. Thanks for the info.

for now, the P'dam had the best itinerary for what we wanted so we will head off on her next year (oh yes, and my little cheap, last minute escape on the Westerdam next week):D

I keep forgetting you are heading out. Bon Voyage! Please let us know how the Westerdam is doing. And have a very happy Thanksgiving!

I keep forgetting you are heading out. Bon Voyage! Please let us know how the Westerdam is doing. And have a very happy Thanksgiving!

So do I:D:D It is all to quick - (not even a countdown clock for this one - why bother - we will have sailed all to soon) - not leaving until next week - and yes, I will definitely report - watch for the Never say Never thread - my report will be there:D Haven't been on a ship this big in a long time (I know it's not really big - but compared to other cruises it is). Looking forward to being on the Queen of Horns - our Thanksgiving in Canada is long over - but I will happily wish you a good one - just wish me no snow storm when we need to fly out of here:D

So do I:D:D It is all to quick - (not even a countdown clock for this one - why bother - we will have sailed all to soon) - not leaving until next week - and yes, I will definitely report - watch for the Never say Never thread - my report will be there:D Haven't been on a ship this big in a long time (I know it's not really big - but compared to other cruises it is). Looking forward to being on the Queen of Horns - our Thanksgiving in Canada is long over - but I will happily wish you a good one - just wish me no snow storm when we need to fly out of here:D

Yes, I saw that on another thread, and forgot you were Canadian. Thank you for the good wishes and I wish you a very safe flight. Have a happy Thanksgiving this week anyway!:) It is always a good time to be thankful!

Yes, I saw that on another thread, and forgot you were Canadian. Thank you for the good wishes and I wish you a very safe flight. Have a happy Thanksgiving this week anyway!:) It is always a good time to be thankful!

Thanks so much - I am always thankful that we are able to cruise and enjoy so much of life - We should all be thankful to be in the two great countries we live in where freedom is a given and our biggest worries are a charge for capuccino:D We thank our maker every day for his/her blessings:D

Interesting. Having done two previous Regent cruises, I would say I paid much less for a truly wonderful experience on my last cruise, the Oosterdam. I found Regent to be vastly overrated. The food wasn't what I had expected and the service not really any different than HAL. Sure, drinks and specialty coffees were free, but then I was drinking mediocre wine and would have had to pay up the nose for what I can drink on HAL for a modest corkage fee. Drinks were boring. HAL's drink menu is far better and you have to drink a lot of $6.75 drinks to make up the price differential.

But it depends on the particular cruise. In some areas, when airfare and excursions are included, the price difference may not be so bad. But for a week in the Caribbean when I'm using miles for my flights and don't plan on doing any excursions, HAL is a far better deal for me.

Interesting. Having done two previous Regent cruises, I would say I paid much less for a truly wonderful experience on my last cruise, the Oosterdam. I found Regent to be vastly overrated. The food wasn't what I had expected and the service not really any different than HAL. Sure, drinks and specialty coffees were free, but then I was drinking mediocre wine and would have had to pay up the nose for what I can drink on HAL for a modest corkage fee. Drinks were boring. HAL's drink menu is far better and you have to drink a lot of $6.75 drinks to make up the price differential.

But it depends on the particular cruise. In some areas, when airfare and excursions are included, the price difference may not be so bad. But for a week in the Caribbean when I'm using miles for my flights and don't plan on doing any excursions, HAL is a far better deal for me.

I don't think LindaM is talking about a Caribbean cruise - she likes great itineraries:D Totally agree - for Caribbean I see no value on the more expensive lines - the value only comes in to play (for us) for Europe, Asia, South america, Australia/New Zealand or wherever else I missed.

Itinerary in some of these countries is very key. So for us it comes down to itinerary, experience and then cost (not necessarily in that order)

caribbean is not one to fuss and pay a gazillion dollars on a ship IMO - but what do I know:rolleyes:

Have a great cruise on the Westerdam..We did a Tranatlantic in 2004 on the Westerdam & enjoyed the ship..Agree it's a large ship but did not seem crowded..

We're too are leaving on the Noordam on the 26th for a B2B..Our second Noordam cruise..

Have a good one..Cheers..:)Betty

It just depends upon where you want to be on the ship - Hawaiidan doesn't mind insides - in fact praises the advantages - I have the same issue as you - I like space and yes, I like a balcony. (boy, I'm hard to get along with). I haven't yet found an Oceania cruise that comes close to what I pay on HAL - Moreover the itineraries on Prinsendam so far have been far more intriguing than those I have seen on Oceania - but that's just me:eek:

Yes, I like Insides. However I did all my comparison with verands cabins if equal square footage. In comparison, I have not found a balcony on Holland America, that all things considered can beat Oceania balcony cabins for price.

I compared from 10 day Carribe to 40 day trans pacific. Adding all the HAL non inclusive extras accounts for thousands more than Oceania. I only use total goss anticipaited money to be spent. I count tips, extra dining, air fare and coffee and soft drinks; from my home, nothing more.

I have not factored in passenger load and the ambiance, which Holland cant begin to approach...even on Princendam ( which as a Royla Viking ship I loved)

All I am saying is that for me, in my situation and locale, Holland as a mass market ship is as much or 30% more than Oceania cruise

Thats all....and I am not going to throw away my money on lesser value and rteturn. .

Yes, I like Insides. However I did all my comparison with verands cabins if equal square footage. In comparison, I have not found a balcony on Holland America, that all things considered can beat Oceania balcony cabins for price.

I compared from 10 day Carribe to 40 day trans pacific. Adding all the HAL non inclusive extras accounts for thousands more than Oceania. I only use total goss anticipaited money to be spent. I count tips, extra dining, air fare and coffee and soft drinks; from my home, nothing more.

I have not factored in passenger load and the ambiance, which Holland cant begin to approach...even on Princendam ( which as a Royla Viking ship I loved)

All I am saying is that for me, in my situation and locale, Holland as a mass market ship is as much or 30% more than Oceania cruise

Thats all....and I am not going to throw away my money on lesser value and rteturn. .

Interesting Hawaiidan - I did the same thing with the verandas - and yes, I added in all the extras - must have been the cruises I was looking at as Oceania was not cheaper when I did my calculations. (mind you, I didn't need air). As long as we are both happy - that's the main thing:D

smooth seas:)

Because you never used to have to pay a fee for them. That is the crux of the issue for me. And yes, I know its all being done to keep fares low. Its not the fees or the extra money that bothers me. Its that they keep taking things away that have always been there, thereby reducing the overall experience, at least to me. I totally understand your point.

There are two ways of looking at this either you pay more and they give you everything you want or pay less and pay for what you want.

Most people I think would rather pay less to cruise and pay for want they want as most can not afford a all inclusive ship

DO not know how long you have been cruising BUT back a while ago on Holland gratuities was included in the fare.

Would you pay 50.00 more per day to have unlimited liquor ?? Most people would not.

Lastly if you remember the fuel surcharge oil has been above the 70.00 mark for years but they have not charged for it for years

Rather pay 3.50 for a cappuccino or 10.00 for oil ???

We have done all inclusive ships and the give you everything BUT you do pay for it BIG Time but for us it is worth it.

Can only afford it every couple years

In your case you need to look at what you want and like and go that way as every one like and dislikes are different

You might want to reread my post. I said that HAL IS much less a day than Regent. I know HAL is a better deal. Please read before you comment!!

Since you brought it up, I don't know how you could say HAL's drinks are better---you can get ANY drink on Regent. There is no set list. To tell you the truth, Oosterdam does not impress me. I wouldn't take it even if I got the deal of the century. To each his own. At any rate, you made a HUGE mistake by not reading my post accurately. Except that you used the opportunity to voice your opinion of Regent! I have to say you are the first that I've read about on CC who feels that way. I assume you also hate Prinsendam---am I right???

You might want to reread my post. I said that HAL IS much less a day than Regent. I know HAL is a better deal. Please read before you comment!!

Since you brought it up, I don't know how you could say HAL's drinks are better---you can get ANY drink on Regent. There is no set list. To tell you the truth, Oosterdam does not impress me. I wouldn't take it even if I got the deal of the century. To each his own. At any rate, you made a HUGE mistake by not reading my post accurately. Except that you used the opportunity to voice your opinion of Regent! I have to say you are the first that I've read about on CC who feels that way. I assume you also hate Prinsendam---am I right???

LindaM - we haven't done Regent yet - only because I didn't find the itineraries intriguing - really enjoyed your input though.

After the Westerdam we are back on the Prinsendam for 31 days:D:D

Please don't tell me we have made a mistake:eek: I couldn't find anything elsewhere that compared to the itinerary - but as you well know the Elegant Explorer is not cheap - but worth it for us:) Your thoughts ?

I don't think LindaM is talking about a Caribbean cruise - she likes great itineraries:D Totally agree - for Caribbean I see no value on the more expensive lines - the value only comes in to play (for us) for Europe, Asia, South america, Australia/New Zealand or wherever else I missed.

Itinerary in some of these countries is very key. So for us it comes down to itinerary, experience and then cost (not necessarily in that order)

caribbean is not one to fuss and pay a gazillion dollars on a ship IMO - but what do I know:rolleyes:

Kazu,

That poster totally misread my post. I did NOT imply Regent was a better deal. I said from what I remember, it costs $100-$200/day more than Prinsendam. Again, I just did a rough estimate to see if it would be better to sail Regent in Europe, than Prinsendam. For us, Prinsendam is the way to go in Europe. I like how their itineraries are improved upon each year. On Regent, the excursions are included. Much of the time, we like to do our own thing, or even go with a group of rollcall members. So, we would be paying for something we might not be using on Regent. For us, we don't mind paying extra in the Caribbean. That's when we can truly enjoy the ship and stay up late at night in the lounges. We use the prepaid excursions to snorkel. Europe is so port intensive, we definitely would not want to imbibe and take advantage of included drinks/wine as much!

I get so annoyed at posters who don't read and then want to put words in my mouth. Rereading my post, there was one word in the sentence about Regent costing more than Prinsendam that the poster misread.

Linda

LindaM - we haven't done Regent yet - only because I didn't find the itineraries intriguing - really enjoyed your input though.

After the Westerdam we are back on the Prinsendam for 31 days:D:D

Please don't tell me we have made a mistake:eek: I couldn't find anything elsewhere that compared to the itinerary - but as you well know the Elegant Explorer is not cheap - but worth it for us:) Your thoughts ?

Hopefully, without the 'noro' this time, eh Jacqui? :D:p

Archived