Celebrity Solstice Vs Holland America oosterdam

Holidaycraze

About to book Jan 28th solstice NZ/Australia 18 day..have 6237

Any comments comparing our other choice 25 day holland America - new Zealand/Australia - with the big difference being New Caledonia - south pacific islands that we won't get on the celebrity. I have been on Oosterdam before - smaller ship. Has anyone done New calendonia/south pacific and have suggestions ? We have friends in Perth - which is where the Solstice ends so we can explore for few days instead of seeing the south pacific. Help!

Noumea is a big rust covered dirty mining port from the nickel smelter and ore mine loading next to the pier. Everything covered in rusty dust.

I was not impressed with the town or aquarium nor were the beaches anything to write home about... pretty industrial feel because of the mining operations.

Now, from a south pacific cruising perspective most ports are small and the massive solstice will overwhelm the port and the towns and the resources. Bigger is not better...smaller is in my experience. Most of the ships that sail doing the interesting ports are under 1500. Solstice is 2900 and is better suited to the Carrieb 7 to 10 day party cruises.

The HAL smaller ship will offer more ocean going feel and deck space. More traditional nautical feel. Celeb solstice has half the open deck space. Part of the appeal of the South pacific is to be out in the weather and enjoying the experience not in glassed in pools and spas.

The solstice is almost 50 % larger and designned with a hip/trendy feel of a up scale resort for the under 45 market. It has a lawn which I find absurd on a ship ( remember the palm tree in Mr Roberts?).

So do you want sports bars and hip eateries ans a resort at sea pick Solstice

For piano bars and traditional cruising, strolls on the deck in the moonlightand a nautical exploration feel of discovery for the over 45 set or experienced travler pick Holland America

Speaking of experience, Holland america has much more experience in the South Pacific than Celeb and is a well oiled south pacific vet.

Celeb, to me charges extra for all sorts of things from sanwitches to orange juice that Holland America includes. But both lines are heading more in that direction. in truth. If you like wine, Holland Lets you bring on as much as you want in every port to use in the cabin. Celeb... no way jose.

Thats my take.... and its what you want for your self.

For me the monster Solstice gives me the willies...

While we have never sailed on the Solstice we have sailed on the Oosterdam within the year and if we never set foot on the Oosterdam it will be to soon. Everything about the Oosterdam was filthy or damaged from our cabin to the public areas.

About to book Jan 28th solstice NZ/Australia 18 day..have 6237

Any comments comparing our other choice 25 day holland America - new Zealand/Australia - with the big difference being New Caledonia - south pacific islands that we won't get on the celebrity. I have been on Oosterdam before - smaller ship. Has anyone done New calendonia/south pacific and have suggestions ? We have friends in Perth - which is where the Solstice ends so we can explore for few days instead of seeing the south pacific. Help!

I think it all comes down to what you want to see more, the South Pacific or just Australia/New Zealand. As far as the ships are concerned the S Class ships are quite amazing for quality and service, but then again do you want a shall ship experience or a large ship experience. The South Pacific is nice, I have done it once, I wouldn't bother again. I don't know where in the South Pacific your Holland America cruise goes but I loved the almost deserted island experiences, Noumea & Vila are nothing to write home about.

Only you can decide what you want to see. I am sure you will have an amazing time whichever cruise you choose.

Thanking Everyone for your input. Leaning towards the Solstice and spending time on end to rent car and explore the Perth area- south pacific islands can wait for another trip. Celebrity has always been one of my favorite lines to cruise and my last trip on Holland was disappointing as ship was not kept up - stains on our cabin couch etc. And trying the s classes exciting and sounds great!

Noumea is a big rust covered dirty mining port from the nickel smelter and ore mine loading next to the pier. Everything covered in rusty dust.

I was not impressed with the town or aquarium nor were the beaches anything to write home about... pretty industrial feel because of the mining operations.

Now, from a south pacific cruising perspective most ports are small and the massive solstice will overwhelm the port and the towns and the resources. Bigger is not better...smaller is in my experience. Most of the ships that sail doing the interesting ports are under 1500. Solstice is 2900 and is better suited to the Carrieb 7 to 10 day party cruises.

The HAL smaller ship will offer more ocean going feel and deck space. More traditional nautical feel. Celeb solstice has half the open deck space. Part of the appeal of the South pacific is to be out in the weather and enjoying the experience not in glassed in pools and spas.

The solstice is almost 50 % larger and designned with a hip/trendy feel of a up scale resort for the under 45 market. It has a lawn which I find absurd on a ship ( remember the palm tree in Mr Roberts?).

For piano bars and traditional cruising, strolls on the deck in the moonlightand a nautical exploration feel of discovery for the over 45 set or experienced travler pick Holland America

Speaking of experience, Holland america has much more experience in the South Pacific than Celeb and is a well oiled south pacific vet.

Celeb, to me charges extra for all sorts of things from sanwitches to orange juice that Holland America includes. But both lines are heading more in that direction. in truth. If you like wine, Holland Lets you bring on as much as you want in every port to use in the cabin. Celeb... no way jose.

Thats my take.... and its what you want for your self.

For me the monster Solstice gives me the willies...

Explain having to pay for sandwiches and orange juice? I have had both on X and never paid.

Thank you for all the great points. Yes love the crew on holland America - the coffee area, the walk around promenade deck - like a smaller ship but I think we have decided to do the south pacific islands another time and concentrate on Australia and NZ. By doing the celebrity we will get a great exciting newer ship and we will end in Perth and will be able to spend one week in western Australia and most importantly our friend wrote back with such a warm welcome and invitation we can't turn it down. So excited to see my friends and happy she will be available for us. We will have beautiful beaches to see there and we are wine lovers and love visiting wineries. It's also nice to have a week on the ground - we did that after our Europe cruise. We will spend a couple days in Auckland at beginning of trip too!

Yes it was a nice dilemma!!!!

So lucky and so excited to do our final booking !!!

Thanks for all the input!! What a great board!

Explain having to pay for sandwiches and orange juice? I have had both on X and never paid.

No problem $2.50 for a glass of fresh orange juice at breakdast in the Buffet or dining room Want a paninni.. $5.00 and they only serve them in the bistro for $$$. The buy a bottle of vodka for the cabin $80.. Nickel and dime stuff trying to squeez me at every turn

Holland charges $28 for a cabin set up, Paninni no charge, Un-limited fresh Oj no charge..

I just found the nickel and dime on Solstice to be over the top compared to Holland.

I have to be honest I find the whole Solstice concept and design to be not my taste. The very limited deck space and tightly packed cabins with over 1500 more people than Holland seemed like living in an ant farm...

However, there are people that like the resort feel and all the tech-no like sports bars, ordering dinner by computer, Thats fine if you like it

I dont like Las Vegas either... too much hype, glitz and go-go-go.

I take cruises to get away from all that not immerse myself in it.

And I too find that Holland is becoming more that way as well to be fair.

Thus I am seeking smaller and smaller crusing ship the capture the romance of the sea....

No problem $2.50 for a glass of fresh orange juice at breakdast in the Buffet or dining room Want a paninni.. $5.00 and they only serve them in the bistro for $$$. The buy a bottle of vodka for the cabin $80.. Nickel and dime stuff trying to squeez me at every turn

Holland charges $28 for a cabin set up, Paninni no charge, Un-limited fresh Oj no charge..

I just found the nickel and dime on Solstice to be over the top compared to Holland.

I have to be honest I find the whole Solstice concept and design to be not my taste. The very limited deck space and tightly packed cabins with over 1500 more people than Holland seemed like living in an ant farm...

However, there are people that like the resort feel and all the tech-no like sports bars, ordering dinner by computer, Thats fine if you like it

I dont like Las Vegas either... too much hype, glitz and go-go-go.

I take cruises to get away from all that not immerse myself in it.

And I too find that Holland is becoming more that way as well to be fair.

Thus I am seeking smaller and smaller crusing ship the capture the romance of the sea....

Hawaiidan, We used to do HAL a lot. We now cruise more on Celebrity. We love the Solstice class ships. That being said you may like Azamara. They have that old world feel. It has smaller ships and they dont nickel and dime you. It is more of the old HAL. Richard

That is exactly what I am doing.... but found Oceaina a better value because of the inclusive air and so many extras more than. Azamar

The Solstice is not my sort of ship in any way . But many like that sort of thing If some one handed me a computor to order dinner I would throw it at them... And I can't handle lawns on ships... or gardens and stuff like that..

But yes thats my desire.

That is exactly what I am doing.... but found Oceaina a better value because of the inclusive air and so many extras more than. Azamar

What extras on Oceania not found on Azamara? All reviews I have seen have Azamara as a better value (except for their current 2014 pricing).

We have been to the same port have we??? You actually moved away from the port gates? Because that is not the Noumea I know away from the CBD and port.

Most ships that have sailed the the Pacific since I was a teen ( so over 20 years ago) have been over 1500 passengers- the original Oriana, Canberra, all the P&O ships based here. The last smaller ship was the Fairstar and that carried quite a few. Edit - checked even the Fairstar had 1800 passengers and it was only 21,000 tones.

The HAL smaller ship will offer more ocean going feel and deck space. More traditional nautical feel.
82,000 tones small? That's a first...

but if you want a brass frenzy that last saw extensive use in the 1980's and the best embalmers and medical centre for eldery health issues at sea then pick HAL?

Lol. This is where you lose credibility. As you are aware Celebrity were founded by the Chandris group ...hence the 'X' on the funnel. Not only where Chandris line running ships from Europe to Australia since 1960, they were cruising the Pacific in between liner voyages since the late 60's and early 70's using the Britanis and Ellinis. As an Australian cruising since I was 12 I cannot remember many HAL ships cruising these waters that often in the 80's or 90's except occasionally passing thro.

Celeb, to me charges extra for all sorts of things from sandwiches to orange juice that Holland America includes.

They charge for sandwiches? You sure you have been on this line?

The Solstice is not my sort of ship in any way . But many like that sort of thing If some one handed me a computor to order dinner I would throw it at them... And I can't handle lawns on ships... or gardens and stuff like that..

But yes thats my desire.

All Inclusive yes. BUT, I just looked a a comparable cruise and it is priced at more than double the money I am paying on the X silhouette for the same type room. As far as the money issue is concerned, I would rather go with X and pay the extras if needed (or wanted)

Archived