Taking valuables to the beach

Xcitdcruiser

Hi there,

As a 1st time cruiser to the S Caribbean I'm very keen to take my camera out during port days. I'm thinking of going to Boatyard & Coki Beach. The question I have is if I take my camera, are there lockers available so that we can go for a swim / snorkel?

I have already asked this same question in the 'first time cruising' section, ports boards & my roll call but not received an answer - seeing as Celebrity cruisers have been very helpful so i though i'd try my luck here...

Many thanks!

Do not recommend putting an expensive camera in a seal lock $30 camera case (bag) as the locked seal is only guaranteed for the price of the bag and they promote humidity problems. The bags are fine for P&S cameras.

We usually rent a car and put valuables in the trunk. When using taxi service the only safe way is to have one person stay on shore with your stuff.

Get a cool pix water camera for shore ex. These cameras work while in the water. Try to leave most of your valuables on the ship. I only take my seapass, water camera and enough money for the day trip. I habve a water proof pouch for all of this. The only things I leave on a beach is my clothes and cane/canes.

Even if there were lockers (and I don't think there are), I would not trust them, nor would I trust the trunk of a car - in both cases presuming this is not a cheap camera. Unless you are dying for spectacular pics, I recommend just buying one of the disposable waterproof cameras and taking that. If you must bring a good one, would take turns sitting on the beach with the camera.

My sister had her purse taken out of trunk of rental car at Orient beach on St. Marteen. Many problems like French speaking police to boarding air craft for return trip with no proof. There is a lot of poverty in the islands don't tempt fate, leave valuables on ship.

J.

While we have never had anything stolen while at the beach, we never take anything with us that we aren't willing to lose. A cheap disposable camera may not take the quality of pictures that your expensive camera does, it won't be a great loss, either.

We were at Coki beach several years ago. A family from our cruise ship was sitting on the beach with her purse right next to her. A "local" kid all of a sudden jumped up, ran over to her area, stole the purse and took off like a scared rabbit. We've never taken anything valuable to a beach since then.

No lockers at any of the beaches we've been to in the Southern Caribbean. Definitely not Coki. Like was recommended take a waterproof camera. Get a nice one like Canon or Nikon that also takes good pictures out of the water. You get a strap that attaches to your arm and keep it on you while in the water. Coki was one of the best beaches for snorkeling from the shore.

We always take a beach bag with our stuff and have never had any problems having anything taken but like others said we never take anything we can't afford to lose. We also have a water wallet my husband puts in his bathing suit pocket where we keep our cash, sea pass cards, etc.

Even if there were lockers (and I don't think there are), I would not trust them, nor would I trust the trunk of a car - in both cases presuming this is not a cheap camera. Unless you are dying for spectacular pics, I recommend just buying one of the disposable waterproof cameras and taking that. If you must bring a good one, would take turns sitting on the beach with the camera.

Agreed. Not worth the risk.

Don't bring any valuables with you that you would hate to lose or get stolen. Unless you can find someone to watch your camera I don't see any other option. Even if you could find a locker I wouldn't trust them. I hate to say this but valuables need to be on your person at all times and even then you don't want to flaunt them.

Many thanks for the responses. I was so excited with my new camera (not cheap!) but it sounds like i won't be taking her out during beach port days. A waterproof case for her costs $300+ ! So I will look into the suggestion of a Canon or Nikon that also takes good pictures out of the water...

another item onto the registry :)

Archived