Complaints about not receiving personal attention from cabin stewards

zanzibargirl

Here's what we expect from a steward: room kept clean (and we don't leave it a mess). Mutually courteous interactions. We are very good tippers if these requirements are met- and they most usually go beyond that.

However, we don't go on a cruise to make new BFF's from the crew. They are there as professionals to make a living. We are there to have a nice vacation. I think the sweetest sound they hear if the rustle of the $100 bill over and above the prepaid gratuity when DH gives that to them the evening before disembarkation.

On my recent Cruise I had a excellent Room Stweard. He introduced himself and stopped and spoke to us every time he saw us. What amazed me was by the first day at sea he knew the names of every person in every room he took care of. He addressed everyone by name and always with a smile. Abdul made the Cruise great.

We were on the 11/4 jewel in outside rooms on deck 5.

While i would not complain to NCL about our steward

(wouldn't want to get him in trouble) he did leave a lot

to be desired. On the first day we were told the

pack and plays are delivered and set up by 6pm. After

asking a few times it didn't appear till after 8pm. One room

was supposed to be set as twins (we had connecting rooms) but wasn't.

After asking a few times for it to be split- after 8pm he asked why I

couldn't just leave it that way that evening- totally unacceptable. He also

failed to take out used plates. Yet- the room was cleaned,

bathrooms spotless, and plenty of towels left for the pool.

Service wasn't stellar- but he works hard. Everyone ha

bad days, weeks.

No need to complain, but at least I do notice it when the service differs. I would never expect it from a hotel but as it has been like that at the first cruise and most of the following I do expect it now as a standard service. Same with towel animals, fresh ice or turndown service. I would not complain about it when it disappears fleet wirde but as long as it belongs to the standard service I expect it to be done.

There was a post earlier this month listing the duties and responsibilities of room stewards

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1741330

Sorry but towel animals are not "standard service". Meet and greet the guest is under other possible duties. But ice refills at correct times and turndown service is part of their "standard service".

Everybody seems so happy with their room steward but for me, it happened many times that the room was not very clean on embarkation day.

Once, a razor left in the shower, which clearly demonstrate that the shower had not been cleaned prior to my arrival. I cleaned it myself.

Another time, candy papers on the floor, sticky stuff (?honey?) on the desk and phone. That time I called the front desk and they came back to clean properly.

I usually take the overnight bus to port and nap before muster drill but once my sheets were stained (hopefully it was stained and not dirty). I called the front desk to have the sheets changed but it took a long time to be done so I had to nap outside on a lounger (so I didn't sleep at all).

Last NCL cruise I was lucky to get the VIP status and the room was spotless and the steward very nice, always said hello and even stopped by to chat a little when I was in the hallway.

Is it only me who get bad room steward every other cruise?

Everybody seems so happy with their room steward but for me, it happened many times that the room was not very clean on embarkation day.

Once, a razor left in the shower, which clearly demonstrate that the shower had not been cleaned prior to my arrival. I cleaned it myself.

Another time, candy papers on the floor, sticky stuff (?honey?) on the desk and phone. That time I called the front desk and they came back to clean properly.

I usually take the overnight bus to port and nap before muster drill but once my sheets were stained (hopefully it was stained and not dirty). I called the front desk to have the sheets changed but it took a long time to be done so I had to nap outside on a lounger (so I didn't sleep at all).

A simple note in the H.D.s box at the front desk would save this from happening again and perhaps if someone experienced this with the room stewards you had prior to you and had placed a note there, this would not have happened to you.

Last NCL cruise I was lucky to get the VIP status and the room was spotless and the steward very nice, always said hello and even stopped by to chat a little when I was in the hallway.

Is it only me who get bad room steward every other cruise?

Sorry I've had nothing but splended service from my room stewards

I'm sure you are speaking about different ships, but did you lodge a complaint with the H.D. Because if nobody feels the need to take this to upper management while onboard then this type of thing can continue to happen and shouldn't. In my experience anything taken to the front desk may get fixed but it goes no further.

Sorry I've had nothing but splended service from my room stewards

I'm sure you are speaking about different ships, but did you lodge a complaint with the H.D. Because if nobody feels the need to take this to upper management while onboard then this type of thing can continue to happen and shouldn't. In my experience anything taken to the front desk may get fixed but it goes no further.

Different ships, inside and balcony categories.

Once, we were travelling with friends cruising in NCL suites many times per year so they know the managers very well and they complained on our behalf (they told the HD that our room would be shown during the cabin-crawl the next day), the Hotel Director sent a team to deep clean the room even if I said it was not necessary, that the problems were taken care of.

So yes, management hears you (at least they did hear my NCL money-making friends).

This time, I am sailing in a 2-bedroom suite with my parents. I expect the room to to clean upon arrival. If it is not, I'll probably say something.

Here's what we expect from a steward: room kept clean (and we don't leave it a mess). Mutually courteous interactions. We are very good tippers if these requirements are met- and they most usually go beyond that.

However, we don't go on a cruise to make new BFF's from the crew. They are there as professionals to make a living. We are there to have a nice vacation. I think the sweetest sound they hear if the rustle of the $100 bill over and above the prepaid gratuity when DH gives that to them the evening before disembarkation.

I'm with you, not looking for new BFF's from the crew. They are there to do a job, not become my best friend and I would be suspicious of any who wanted to be my BFF, because I would wonder do they have an ulterior motive (larger tip)!! If the service is excellent, they will received an additional tip. If the service is not excellent, no additional tip.

In saying that, I always try to be respectful; if my cabin steward calls me by name I respond in kind - it is just good manners.

I really don't need much from my cabin steward - just a clean room and some ice, but if others require more that is their business not mine and I don't understand why anyone would complain about others needing more attention unless it means they do not get the service they require.

A clean room with the bed made daily, sheets changed halfway through the cruise, clean towels when needed and ice at least once during the day is our minimum. I don't care if we ever see the room steward or if we see them everyday and they greet us by name. If they are friendly we will engage in conversation if they aren't thats ok too. We left an extra $100 on our first cruise but on our second we didn't tip extra because I had to ask for towels at least 3 times.

We've sailed different lines, and on all of our cruises, our cabins have been very well taken care of. We've usually met our cabin steward boarding day, but not always (they are usually bringing a child's life jacket). We always greet them with a smile and kindness, and usually lots of thank yous. We will remember their names and probably where they're from. We also get a photo with DS with them (usually after he's given them our extra tips) on the last night. We aren't high maintenance people at home or on vacation.

I really can't understand why anyone need to know the name of their cabin steward.

Because they are people. I have met the most interesting stewards in my travels and I totally enjoy knowing them by name and chatting a bit (when they have time).

As for expecting too much, some people expect too much from life in general. Enough said.:rolleyes:

So obviously you don't have many needs. We do. We make sure the room steward knows what we expect on the first day. They are happy and we are too. Ice is a must, eggcrates for the bed, twin set - we tip extra for the service.

What on earth??? Can somebody explain please? This may be getting lost in translation, but I'm picturing the little cardboard boxes without the 6 eggs in! :confused:

First of all some people think their room steward is their "buddY" or worse think they are a butler.

My philosophy is that a great steward is one you rarely see and magically appears when you are gone and does their job. If I meet them, fine, if not, good by me as well.

To reiterate, I think some people want to see them, get to be "buddies" while the majority do their job well and the one's that show up too much are just fishing for $$$'s. It's a business relationship, not a personal one. If you want a butler, buy a suite.

What on earth??? Can somebody explain please? This may be getting lost in translation, but I'm picturing the little cardboard boxes without the 6 eggs in! :confused:

A piece of foam that is place on top of the mattress

45.jpg

Our best room attendant was one we never saw! The room was immaculate at all times, but be never saw whoever it was that was doing the cleaning! I thought that was super! I don't chat much with housekeepers in hotels, so why would I do so on the ship? I, too, don't understand why some feel they need to be personal friends with the cabin attendant!

Very interesting topic--and you can clearly see how different people have such different expectations. I can see how it must be confusing for the room stewards.

For example--my ideal room steward is one that I do not see, but that somehow manages to slip in and keeps the room clean, ice buckets filled etc. That to me is PERFECT service. And a couple of times we have had jsut that--it always seemed magical to me.

I don't care if he/she knows my name, I don't need to speak with him/her--but certainly it is not bad thing if those things happen--and I am certainly friendly and courteous when they do. It just isn't important to me. And for the life of me the whole towel animal thing--I have said it before--I just don't care. I think if you have young children it can be amusing. But I read so many reviews where that seems to be the primary criteria for good service--"we only got three towel animals"--read a review last summer where that reason alone ruined the cruise for someone (and there were no children involved). Someone accused me of being no fun last time I said this--but I just feel this way--it kind of creeps me out or saddens me that an adult (multi-lingual, well traveled,very bright) spends his/her time making me (an adult) an animal out of a towel. Now please don't flame me for this--I'm just saying how I feel--LOL!!!

Anyway, great to read on here that almost everyone feels very positively about their expeirence with room stewards. It just highlights for me how challenging their job is--when different people want such different things and have such varying reactions. Incidentally--my rooms have always been immaculate. :)

On every cruise I've been on with NCL and Carnival my cabin attendant always introduced him/herself and said do not hesitate to let them know if we need anything. If they didn't it certainly wouldn't ruin my cruise. I would simply leave a note if we needed anything. I haven't seen any recent rants on the subject. My guess is starting this thread may just be poking a stick into a Hornets nest for no reason.

On every cruise I've been on with NCL and Carnival my cabin attendant always introduced him/herself and said do not hesitate to let them know if we need anything. If they didn't it certainly wouldn't ruin my cruise. I would simply leave a note if we needed anything. I haven't seen any recent rants on the subject. My guess is starting this thread may just be poking a stick into a Hornets nest for no reason.

Ding. Ding. Ding. My first and only thought regarding it.

Very interesting topic--and you can clearly see how different people have such different expectations. I can see how it must be confusing for the room stewards.

For example--my ideal room steward is one that I do not see, but that somehow manages to slip in and keeps the room clean, ice buckets filled etc. That to me is PERFECT service. And a couple of times we have had jsut that--it always seemed magical to me.

I don't care if he/she knows my name, I don't need to speak with him/her--but certainly it is not bad thing if those things happen--and I am certainly friendly and courteous when they do. It just isn't important to me. And for the life of me the whole towel animal thing--I have said it before--I just don't care. I think if you have young children it can be amusing. But I read so many reviews where that seems to be the primary criteria for good service--"we only got three towel animals"--read a review last summer where that reason alone ruined the cruise for someone (and there were no children involved). Someone accused me of being no fun last time I said this--but I just feel this way--it kind of creeps me out or saddens me that an adult (multi-lingual, well traveled,very bright) spends his/her time making me (an adult) an animal out of a towel. Now please don't flame me for this--I'm just saying how I feel--LOL!!!

Anyway, great to read on here that almost everyone feels very positively about their expeirence with room stewards. It just highlights for me how challenging their job is--when different people want such different things and have such varying reactions. Incidentally--my rooms have always been immaculate. :)

OMG! I could have written this myself. On my next cruise, I'm going to tell the steward to save him/herself some time and not worry about the towel animals. I will leave them a note if I don't see them. I am very social, but my ideal steward is like that fairy that somehow knows exactly when I left and sneaks in to clean so when I come back everything is perfect.

Because they are people. I have met the most interesting stewards in my travels and I totally enjoy knowing them by name and chatting a bit (when they have time).

As for expecting too much, some people expect too much from life in general. Enough said.:rolleyes:

People are different.

I assume that every time you meet someone, in a shop, a restaurant, a hotel etc. you ask about their name because they are people. I don't.

People are different and I think that's a good thing.

First of all some people think their room steward is their "buddY" or worse think they are a butler.

My philosophy is that a great steward is one you rarely see and magically appears when you are gone and does their job. If I meet them, fine, if not, good by me as well.

To reiterate, I think some people want to see them, get to be "buddies" while the majority do their job well and the one's that show up too much are just fishing for $$$'s. It's a business relationship, not a personal one. If you want a butler, buy a suite.

Very well said!

Archived