Self disemarkation

Little London

Once the ship is cleared you can disembark ..could be 1 hr or 3 hrs

depends on if everyone shows up that is suppose to report to the Immigration officials

I suppose as long as you can carry/roll your own bags you can DIY

Lyn

I can't think of a time when we did NOT leave the ship on our own. Usually they want you off the ship BY 9:00, but if you have a late arrival obviously that will change. We usually leave at 9:00 whether a friend is picking us up (not that this is our usual method but on occasion it has been) or we have arranged for transportation already, or are just looking for a cab.

Of course, if you want to leave particularly early it is as Lyn says -- once the ship has cleared customs, you can go.

My one experience in leaving Marina on our own (in Istanbul), hunting up a cab was a zoo. It's never been much of a problem when leaving one of the "R" ships ... but being half the size of the newer ships can have its benefits!

Mura

Are you saying that those passengers who choose to self-disembark, that is to carry off all their own luggage, can leave at any and all times during the disembarkation window?

If so, doesn't that make it difficult (to say the least) for those who are not carrying larger suitcases? Competition for elevator space must get fierce, if that's the case.

I can picture a wheelchair passenger (moi) trying to get into an elevator when others are filling that elevator with luggage. :eek:

Are you saying that those passengers who choose to self-disembark, that is to carry off all their own luggage, can leave at any and all times during the disembarkation window?

If so, doesn't that make it difficult (to say the least) for those who are not carrying larger suitcases? Competition for elevator space must get fierce, if that's the case.

I can picture a wheelchair passenger (moi) trying to get into an elevator when others are filling that elevator with luggage. :eek:

All passengers, including those who are self-disembarking, place all their luggage except for a carry-on, outside their cabins by 10 or 11 PM before going to sleep the last night. The luggage has color-coded tags which identify the time and means of travel when you are leaving the ship in the morning. After getting off the ship with your carry-on bag, you claim your luggage in the arrival hall under a "flag" which indicates your color-coded tag. You then pass through customs with your luggage and you are on your way home. Frequently there are porters in the arrival hall to assist those who need help with their luggage.

I have only seen a few people try the self disembark on Oceania

not like on the mainstream lines where people stand in front of the gangway or elevators while people try to get past all the luggage

If you are W/C passenger they may take you off the lower deck from the crew ramp

Lyn

I have only seen a few people try the self disembark on Oceania

not like on the mainstream lines where people stand in front of the gangway or elevators while people try to get past all the luggage

If you are W/C passenger they may take you off the lower deck from the crew ramp

Lyn

On the mainstream line I am used to (HAL), the self-disembark passengers are all first off the ship. After they, and all their luggage have gone, the remaining passengers disembark in a specific order.

Now, I do realize that the Riviera, which is the ship I am booked on, has fewer passengers than most of the mainstream ships. But there are still a lot of people. And a lot of suitcases to get banged by if the self-disembark passengers are trying to leave the same time as I am.

This worries me.

On the mainstream line I am used to (HAL), the self-disembark passengers are all first off the ship. After they, and all their luggage have gone, the remaining passengers disembark in a specific order.

Now, I do realize that the Riviera, which is the ship I am booked on, has fewer passengers than most of the mainstream ships. But there are still a lot of people. And a lot of suitcases to get banged by if the self-disembark passengers are trying to leave the same time as I am.

This worries me.

I would not worry about it

Most do not take their larger cases off themselves & disembarkation is like any other ship ...they have a system ;)

Enjoy

I was going to offer RuthC two bits of advice, but I see that Kirk has beaten me to one of them.

As he says, if you wish to get off of the ship effortlessly, plan to disembark in the earlier part of the morning, as your fellow passengers will be hypnotized at that time by the thought of their last breakfast aboard.

If the ship arrives in the wee hours, then the All Clear will typically be around 8AM-ish. An announcement to that effect will be made over the PA system, so you will know.

Give it twenty minutes or a half hour, so as to allow the "perpetually in a rush" contingent do their thing, and you'll have no trouble at all. In fact, you may wish that more people were about as you'll want to say another "last goodbye" (at least, that has been our experience).

My second suggestion would be that you plan to use the forward elevator tower; as the two aft elevators will be in hot demand for people going and returning from the Grand Dining Room and the Terrace Cafe.

In turnaround ports, the gangway is usually located in the Lower Hall on Deck 5, anyway (but ALWAYS confirm that!!), so using those forward elevators puts you fifty feet from the "door-ashore" :D

b_000456.jpg

Enjoy your cruise!

We disembarked the Eurodam today. They let off the self debarkation passengers first. What an amazingly long line. It made it tough to even get passed them to go to the dining room. I have no idea how these people lugged their suitcases - there was an escalator in the port building and an elevator, but the line for the elevator must have been really long. Anyway, we ate our breakfast in the Pinnacle Grille and when they announced our luggage tag color, walked right off the ship, found our luggage and went through passport control - all within about 15 minutes. Unless you have a really early flight, I would not recommend the experience.

I was going to offer RuthC two bits of advice, but I see that Kirk has beaten me to one of them.

As he says, if you wish to get off of the ship effortlessly, plan to disembark in the earlier part of the morning, as your fellow passengers will be hypnotized at that time by the thought of their last breakfast aboard.

Thank you for your advice. I think that as the cruise date gets closer I'll be asking more detailed questions on how everything works. In the meantime, I'm reading the threads to pick up info, and asking only a few questions as topics come up.

I usually disembark in a wheelchair, so that puts me at the mercy of the ship personnel. I am used to going to an assembly point at an assigned time, checking in, and waiting until a chair & pusher is ready to take me off the ship. To some extent, that's ordered by flight times, or other onward plans.

There can be times it's difficult at best to get an elevator so I can go to the assembly station. When you have trouble walking, are dragging your carry-ons, and trying to stay upright, it's hard to work around those toting several suitcases. It is beyond no fun to get whacked by those suitcases! :eek:

There can be times it's difficult at best to get an elevator so I can go to the assembly station. When you have trouble walking, are dragging your carry-ons, and trying to stay upright, it's hard to work around those toting several suitcases. It is beyond no fun to get whacked by those suitcases! :eek:

You have probably just been on the wrong ships in the past :D

We did self disembark on a Princess ship once & the number of people with large bags standing around near the gangway was totally amazing

That was the last time carried our bags off

Never had a problem like that on Oceania

Lyn

Archived