boarding V.O,S at the O.P.T.

Thank you DIY Dave.

I reckon we are going to need to slip, slop, slap and wrap for the queue.

Now, just in case we have some visitors to our area I will explain that last comment.

You have to slip on a shirt, slop on some sunscreen, slap on a hat and wrap on some sun glasses. The Kiwis are very UV conscious.

Thanks again Dave.

TraceyG

Well this tent set up does look better than what was happening in February of 2012 for Radiance of the Seas. There were long queues in the sun and the baggage drop location required cut through the boarding queue. That was around 1 pm, after an extended wait of an hour or more in the airport for RCI transfers, due to apparently not being "on the list". The only negative I see with the new tent set up is someone potentially running off with passenger luggage. In the photo above I see some luggage but I don't see anyone watching the area or moving luggage to a secure area.

Next time I'll be sailing from Fremantle so will see how that cruise terminal compares in terms of lines, etc.

Hmm - as I have said before, it really does look like to me that people should turn up at their appointed times. Although, those times aren't really 'appointed" , just requested. Anyway, even though we are on deck 10 with a boarding time of 11.30, IF there is a BIG queue or it all looks like a bit of a nightmare, we will go away and come back at 4PM. There are a number of good Aussie pubs within easy walking distance of OPT.

Barry

No, they did'nt turn anyone away because they were early. The reason they were standing in the sun was BECAUSE the check out tent was'nt yet opened. It seemed to me that they could fit hundreds in the airport type line under the tent at any one time.So if everyone turned up at their correct time (impossible I know) it would work OK.heres a couple more photos showing the normal luggage drop off tents and the health questionair everyone has to fill in before boarding.

CIMG0527.jpg

CIMG0544.jpg

CIMG0506-1.jpg

Thanks for posting this - I was curious about the OPT as we have only gone out from Balangaroo previously, if leaving from Sydney but I am going on Carnival Spirit in May so it will be OPT.

Alas no cruising under the Harbour Bridge which I love to do.

DIY Dave.

Thank you so much, for the excellent photos.

Especially the new express check in for members and Suite guests, that I had read about. We won't be standing in thoses ques.

We will be there 2 days before you, to check in on Rhapsody.

Happy cruising.

Aussie Frequent Floaters.

Thanks for posting this - I was curious about the OPT as we have only gone out from Balangaroo previously, if leaving from Sydney but I am going on Carnival Spirit in May so it will be OPT.

Alas no cruising under the Harbour Bridge which I love to do.

Your welcome, thats why I posted it. A picture can tell a thousand words (sometimes LOL)

lucky it wasnt raining and fancy making the people stand in the hot sun, at least at wharf 5 the people can sit down in the tent and grab a coffee while they are waiting

Tbh - it is quite disgusting and primitive. And Sydney wants to bang on about how it's 'world class'.

Could you imagine airline passengers having to line up in tents because the Terminals are not big enough or they want to rent out half the building to fancy shops and cafes...

Tbh - it is quite disgusting and primitive. And Sydney wants to bang on about how it's 'world class'.

Could you imagine airline passengers having to line up in tents because the Terminals are not big enough or they want to rent out half the building to fancy shops and cafes...

I hate to rain on your parade - but the fact is that the airline industry is far more important economically than the cruising industry . There really is no comparison between the two.

I'm sad to say I agree with you. Theres no political will. Until a Pollie goes on a cruise from Sydney it might take years.

There was an empty wheelchair parked by the check in . Did'nt look like a privetely owned one. Can't imagine people in wheelchairs not being looked after properly, but not necercelery Special though.

we havent cruises from the OPT for a while but at wharf 5 they have an area roped off for anyone needing wheel chair assistance and they are wheeled on by p&o staff to their cabin

we havent cruises from the OPT for a while but at wharf 5 they have an area roped off for anyone needing wheel chair assistance and they are wheeled on by p&o staff to their cabin

And thats exactly what I and you could expect from Rccl. Glad you didn't take my post the wrong way. We took my old Mother in law on a murray river cruise and she was wheelchair bound, so to speak. On the last night she fell flat on her face and ended up with a beaut shiner. On that Occasion Virgin airlines did a wonderful job of taking care of her. But I digress.

Next time I'll be sailing from Fremantle so will see how that cruise terminal compares in terms of lines, etc.

The facilities in Fremantle are great. Passengers hand in their luggage then go to the first floor either by escalator or (if necessary) by lift and are given a numbered card when they enter the waiting area where there is a lot of seating. As numbers are called passengers walk through to the check in area and progress on to boarding.

Thought these photos might give strangers to the OPT an idea of what to expect when going to board. Hope they are helpful

CIMG0526.jpg

CIMG0524.jpg

CIMG0523.jpg

That looks like a cattle herding area.

I wonder how the ports in NZ will cope with all the passengers. Do they do the same system onboard, and those who pay the least get off last?:D

Hmm - as I have said before, it really does look like to me that people should turn up at their appointed times. Although, those times aren't really 'appointed" , just requested. Anyway, even though we are on deck 10 with a boarding time of 11.30, IF there is a BIG queue or it all looks like a bit of a nightmare, we will go away and come back at 4PM. There are a number of good Aussie pubs within easy walking distance of OPT.

Barry

I am with you there Barry. On Celebrity Solstice we are in Concierge on Sky Deck. Probably get given an early boarding time around noon, but 4pm, might do us too, avoid the looooong wait.

Celebrity and RCI are one company, so probably the same check in systems.

I just think the OPT in Sydney is/will struggle to embark pax on these big ships with 3000 odd pax. Just not set up for it.

Archived