Which port would you stay on ship

butterflyeffect

If you had the Cozumel, Belize, Roatan and Costa Maya itinerary and wanted to stay on ship during one of the Ports which would you choose?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Not sure why you would want to stay on the ship...even if you get off for only a couple of hours.....love all of these, but if you MUST stay on the ship, I would also have to pick Belize....BUT PLEASE GET OFF...:o:o:o

Belize is a tender port and the tender ride into town is about five miles. From a practical standpoint it is the hardest of the four to get ashore so for that reason alone it is a logical choice.

In my view the only stop of the four that's a "must see" is Roatan. The island is beautiful. The others all offer interesting things to see and do. My suggestion is to spend some time on Carnival.com reading about the various excursions on offer, then visit the port of call boards here for feedback.

I think you might want to get off at every port. You don't have to do an excursion at every one. But Belize would be my choice, unless you are a lover of snorkeling. If you do a Carnival excursion, they pick you up at the ship and take you out. But the tender to the port in Belize is about 15 minutes away. The port area has shopping, everything from wood carvings to jewelry to knock-off bags. Outside of the chainlink fence will be lots of people trying to get your attention and take you places.

Costa Maya, go past the port area, take a taxi to Mahajal (which I've probably misspelled). and make a beautiful beach day. Or, if you are into ruins, take a tour to the ruins about an hour away.

Roatan is a beautiful island which much to do. It is just gorgeous.

Cozumel is what it is... Fun, party, beachy, shoppy, etc.

I agree with others that Belize is the "hardest" port of call because of the 5 mile tender, and because you NEED to book an excursion. However it's a very unique and beautiful country, with attractions that you can't find anywhere. I would DEFINITELY get off the ship in Belize!

Suprisingly for many, my vote would be for COZUMEL. 3 reasons:

• Cozumel is visited on almost every Western Caribbean cruise. So chances are that if the OP misses it this time, it will be in a future itinerary.
  • Cozumel is a "cookie cutter" port. Unless you take a 45 minute ferry to the mainland to visit the Mayan Ruins of Tulum, Cozumel's attractions can be found at pretty much any port in the Caribbean. Beaches, same ol' shops, and same ol' chain bars and restaurants. I can visit McDonald's and Starbucks in my hometown.
  • Cozumel can get VERY crowded. Most times, there are several ships visiting on the same day, which translates into thousands and thousands of cruise passengers. Looking at Cozumel's itinerary for next month, there are days with over 23,000 cruise passengers! :eek:

We had Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize and Roatan on our last cruise. We missed Belize because of the rough seas making it difficult to tender, but were able to get off in Cozumel. I was iffy on Cozumel from the beginning and we didn't venture far enough away from the port area to see much, but I would not be upset to miss that one again. Roatan, even if you just go to Mahogany Bay, is beautiful. And if you stay on the ship there, you could always meander over to MB a little later. Free chairs and plenty of shade. Beautiful water.

Never been to Costa Maya but have heard it's a great place.

Many itineraries include a dodgy port of call

Dodgy ports are usually dodgy PORTS/cities.

The trick is to make up your mind to spend a little of your $$$

to take an organised TOUR

which will get you out of the slummy port area and city

and you get to see the country other than the dock area!

It's only money, you'll only be there this once in your life

so spend all that stuff you've been saving for the kids inheritance.

As someone said to me

I hope you have as much fun saving it

as your kids will have spending it for you, after you're gone. :)

I often don't get off the ship in ports anymore because I've been to almost everyone of them at least 8 or 10 times and I cruise for the shipboard experience and not the ports or excursions.......

Having said that, I most often choose not to leave the ship in Belize because of the tender, then Roatan because you really need to do an excursion if you aren't a beach person....

I usually just go to one of the pier side bars in Coz for a beer and to people watch for awhile......

It seems like I would agree with the majority. DEFINITELY not Roatan, it is one of my favorite ports. You can walk to the beach from the boat and they have a sky lift. It's very cute and has nice shopping within walking distance. I also like Cozumel and Costa Maya. I have been to Belize three times, and I got nothing that great out of it. Honestly, after the first time I don't know why we kept getting of the boat at that port. It's nice to be able to say we have been, but other than that, I doubt we will ever step foot in Belize again. If you want to stay on board one day, I would choose Belize.

Archived