NCL Epic - New Not Improved Kids Program Thanksgiving

djmess

Hey Family Cruisers,

I just returned from the Epic Thanksgiving Cruise. I will say we had a fabulous time, but as an Experienced Epic Cruiser (3 completed now) and Very experienced NCL cruiser, there was a newly implemented policy as of this cruise that I felt had a very negative effect on the freestyle concept.

I always cruised NCL because they did not close the kids club for a couple hours each day during the "society norm" lunch and dinner hours. From what I was told by the Childrens Club Manager and Matt the Cruise Director, some families on prior cruises were dropping their children off at opening and not picking them up until closing, so instead of penalizing those parents that abused the program and did not feed their children, they decided to force those of us who liked the "freestyle" concept of feeding our children on our own schedule according to adult and kid specific activities scheduled, to closing the program completely for lunch and dinner.

This DID cause a bit of inconvienence that could have been alleviated had this been known ahead of time. For example, the best time for a family to schedule the Cirque dinner show would now be on a sea day at 5:45 and not on a port day. Unfortunately with it being Thanksgiving week, even when planned 45 days out, this screwed up activities. Specialty dining for adults only could not be done between 5-7pm as there was not schedule kids club for those times.

I am still traveling and will not be able to scan in ALL the kids dailies, all age groups, until mid week. I will come back and expand and give a more detailed review, but very disappointed in the very unexpected change that penalized good parents because of a few bad apples. Again, why not when a parent doesn't parent does everyone get penalized. All that would have needed to be done was not allow those parents to use the program. JMHO

thanks for the info. Do you think they may have done that because of the amount of kids on a holiday week? We are sailing on a "holiday" week (President's Week) and I wonder if it will be the same. I don't like that change. My kids enjoyed eating at the buffet and heading to kids club.

We sail next Saturday with kids 6 & 8. This will be their first cruise. Can you tell me what you and your kids liked about the program? Some of the activities they did, etc... My kids are very excited. Also looking forward to seeing the dailies when you get a chance.

Thanks,

Robin

Thanks for the info. My family and I are also experienced NCL cruises and the kids frequents the clubs.

Would you let me know the times that the club is closed?

We also feed the kids at the buffet early (like 5:30 pm) and then take them to the kids club. (Their choice always.)

Looking forward to reading more.

I felt the Epic’s version of the “NEW” Splash Academy Kids Program was very disjointed and unorganized. I was recently on the STAR this past Summer with the New Splash Academy Program and it was incredible. So much so, I had to argue with my kid many a time when I would sign him out. Upon boarding, we went almost directly to kids club for the sign up. Got our Kids Daily for the Week, proceeded to Lunch in Taste. It’s a nice relaxing way to begin the cruise and review the kids week and the 1st Regular Daily. I immediately noticed in bold print CLOSING times for the Splash Academy. I was floored, never since I’ve been cruising with my son have I seen a closing during the day for the kids club. I remember falling in love with the freestyle concept around 2006 on NCL. I had cruised with my Son on Carnival and they closed at various times throughout the day and I enjoyed NCL and the ability for us to plan all the family and adult only activities and not worry about times. I have NEVER, nor would I EVER leave my child in a cruise kids program from opening to closing. I almost can’t believe this happens, but that is what Matt the Cruise Director told me. ActuallyI was told when I questioned the new closings listed. I discussed this with the Kids Club Manager and with Matt the Cruise Director. According to them, a number of kids were continually left all day and never fed during the sea days. My thoughts is, this may happen one time and then that family would not be allowed to place their kids in the program the rest of the cruise. Problem solved. Instead, The Epic decided to implement this new closing procedure and penalize me and my family for other peoples lack of parenting skills.

I did ask if this was a new program, a temporary program, a one time deal since there were over 1200 kids on this sailing. No one really knew the answer to this question. The Cruise director said abuse by parents over the last couple weeks caused the changes beginning Thanksgiving. The Kids manager said similar but made it seem that they had been doing this for a time now. Another kids club person I think she was an assistant manager, said that this was the first week and it is going Fleet wide. She also indicated corporate bigwigs had The kids club people come shoreside to tell them about these new changes. She also stated that not a single corporate person in the shoreside meeting had a child in the age ranges 9 and under that would be affected by such changes.

Oh, another thing I asked, why not institute something where parents can pay to have the kids taken to lunch and dinner. The response I was given was “well, with allergies and food sensitivities, we can’t feed the kids” Wrong, look at the NCL Website and the NON Sea Days. They will feed your kids for a fee. It is written in print on the kids dailies. If a child has these food allergies during sea days, wouldn’t they have them during Port days also. You can even leave your child on the ship while you gallivant in a foreign country. What will be done with your child, if you don’t make it back to the ship? Please don’t tell me that a Parent must stay on the ship as I met a couple families that left their kids onboard while they went shopping.

As I stated earlier, I noticed this closure immediately. So early in the evening I went by the boxoffice, thinking, hey, I can move my Cirque Dreams Dinner to 5:45 on a Sea Day instead of the Port Day I had scheduled at the 45 day mark, like a good Epic planning cruiser. This was a no go. No seating available for any of those shows on Sea Days. So much for planning ahead. I also had to cancel an Ice Bar reservation we had made for 5:30 one evening. I know, kids are allowed in Ice Bar, but we had planned CC events and we were going to have a group of us meet at that particular time. Also, I just didn’t think it appropriate to take a 9 y/o to the ice bar. Just my thoughts, others may and that is fine with me. Finally I was unable to do the Murder Mystery Lunch, again, kids are ok, but I know it is not something my 9 y/o would enjoy. Playing with kids his own age and getting face painted are much more his speed. We also had to modify our specialty dining and cancel one. My son is a great traveler and will sit through a 2 hour dinner, but to be fair, he would rather eat quick and play. One or 2 nice dinners in a week long cruise is good for him.

One might think that since the kids club was closed for 4 hours, maybe they would do a couple of the family activities during a portion of this time. Absolutely not. Family activities like cupcake making, pizza making, dodgeball, slimetime are not offered during these closing times. It is like the kids don’t exist on this ship during those hours on sea days. On past cruises, the Slime Time Live show in the Epic Theater was always held at 1pm, but oh my, that would be during the kids club closing time, so lets push it to 2pm, so now we must make a choice between the club or the show. Of course we chose the show. I don’t think any kid was actually in the club, they were all at the show. I really have no idea why family activities could not be scheduled during these “closed” times. I think it comes down to throwing together a new type of kids schedule at the very last minute and not thinking it through. Boy did that show.

One final thing. The New Kids Program has been described with great detail as having all this circus training, magic training, etc. Not looking at the description while I write this, but we did experience all the great new Circus Stuff on the Star in July. Well, the major theme of the new Kids Club was cancelled on this cruising of the Epic. Kids generally learn lots of circus activities and then put on a Circus Show. According to my son, they never really did any of the Circus stuff. A few of the props were available about 30-45 minutes during freeplay one day. Quite sad, as this was a highlight of the program we experienced in the summer and my son was looking forward to performing.

Well, that’s it in my longwinded vent. Parents taking kids on Epic, plan Cirque DinnerShow for a Sea Day at 5:45. Remember, parents you will not be able to have private no kid dinners in a specialty dinning venue or MDR between 5-7 on Sea Days. Please plan accordingly and not get caught off guard as I was. Anyone who travels the Epic after me, Please, if they change it back, please come post here on CC and let us know what is going on!

I have 20+ days scheduled on the Epic next year in Europe and on the TA. Luckily my son will be 10 and will be given the priviledge of signing himself in and out of the program. I also hope that things will be fixed by then. I’m keeping my reservation for this trip for now, but will look at other cruiselines for maybe a better deal, as being shocked with no warning, just really gets me. Loyal I am no longer.

I will scan the kids dailies for all ages. Can someone remind me how to upload the pics or should I scan as PDF. I know I've done this once before, but don't remember. I will play tomorrow

We were on the Epic on November 10th-17th with a 3 and 4 year old, and the kids club was closed on sea days from 12-2 and 5-7. I totally agree with you, this was a huge inconvience for us. We could not do the Murder Mystery lunch, enjoy lunch at Teppenyaki, and don't get me started on how it impacted the evening. I think if would be fine if they wanted to close for one hour at a time (like 12-1 and 5-6), but 4 hours a day was ridiculous. The Blue Man show and Legends show started at 7 pm. We would all 4 walk in together, find 2 seats for my husband and I, then my husband would run the boys up to the club while I held the seats. He missed the beginning of both shows, and almost was not allowed back into the Blue Man show since it had already started. . . I was not happy about this.

We were on the Epic on November 10th-17th with a 3 and 4 year old, and the kids club was closed on sea days from 12-2 and 5-7. I totally agree with you, this was a huge inconvience for us. We could not do the Murder Mystery lunch, enjoy lunch at Teppenyaki, and don't get me started on how it impacted the evening. I think if would be fine if they wanted to close for one hour at a time (like 12-1 and 5-6), but 4 hours a day was ridiculous. The Blue Man show and Legends show started at 7 pm. We would all 4 walk in together, find 2 seats for my husband and I, then my husband would run the boys up to the club while I held the seats. He missed the beginning of both shows, and almost was not allowed back into the Blue Man show since it had already started. . . I was not happy about this.

Very sad that NCL has gone to this format. My son will be 10 soon, if he was still in the 9 and under age group, I would definitely NOT sale NCL again until he was old enough to sign in and out of the club. Guess I'm no longer and NCL Loyalist. Will be telling all my friends that have cruises on Epic booked, so they are not surprised. I know one in particular going in March said she plans on canelling. NCL had just won her back last spring, but may have lost her as her son is only 6. They will probably go back to Disney. They have sworn off Carnival and had been going between NCL and Disney. Too bad NCL

Thank you so much for sharing this information and warning everyone. We had been considering Epic, and while we would still consider it, given this information we're not so sure. I can see how distressing it would be to find this sudden, unannounced change when you had been on this ship before. It totally messed things up for you. I agree with you about the reasoning....not very sound, and my guess is that it is about staffing, rather than looking out for the best interests of children. So inconvenient for families!

We are cruising the Epic in a few weeks and while I understand your disappointment, even before hearing of this change I expected the kids program to be closed during these times during the sea days as the other cruise lines we have been on (both RCL and Carnival) are this way. It does take a bit more planning but overall I found that the kids and the counselors need this break from each other. This is the time we use as a family to have lunch or hit the pools, rock wall etc on the other cruise lines. There are times when things that the kids want to see that are scheduled after the reopening at 2 p.m. or the kids want to stay in the pool for the afternoon and we just bring them along or hang at the pool... My guys have been cruising since 6 moths old and we haven't ever found this to be a real problem.

It may take some getting used to for those who aren't familiar with this type of cruising though.

I am curious to see the kids activities as we haven't cruised with NCL before.

Krispy - I think that's why I wasn't blown away by the "change" this week. Yes our last cruise was on Gem but for some reason I must have blocked out the lunch and dinner shut downs. Every other cruise has been rotating between RCL and CCL (mostly RCL). So we are used to taking our girls to the club at 7pm.

We could NOT schedule a 7pm show. So they need to work on that. Move the sign ins to 6:45 or the shows to 7:30.

We weren't able to do many "adult things". And it's funny reading the reviews of my fellow cruiser friends from this sailing. They were martini tasting and going to Quest. I was cupcake decorating and going to slime time live. ;)

Krispy - I think that's why I wasn't blown away by the "change" this week. Yes our last cruise was on Gem but for some reason I must have blocked out the lunch and dinner shut downs. Every other cruise has been rotating between RCL and CCL (mostly RCL). So we are used to taking our girls to the club at 7pm.

We could NOT schedule a 7pm show. So they need to work on that. Move the sign ins to 6:45 or the shows to 7:30.

We weren't able to do many "adult things". And it's funny reading the reviews of my fellow cruiser friends from this sailing. They were martini tasting and going to Quest. I was cupcake decorating and going to slime time live. ;)

I guess it really caught me off guard as I have sailed on NCL with my son since around 2006 and Never has the kids club closed. I'm a single parent and I have stuck with NCL because they afforded me and my son a great vacation. We have always had late dinner eating habits, even at home. Generally don't eat dinner before 7pm. NCL just always made it wonderful for us. I was always able to schedule some Adult activities and know he had a wonderful time in kids club. I would have to drag him out kicking and screaming on every other cruise. 9 NCL for my son and at least 20 NCL cruises for me prior to this Thanksgiving one. This time just was not the same. They even cancelled all Circus Activities for the kids for our Cruise. Slimetime Live Show was at 2pm and not 1pm. There were absolutely NO Family activities or kids club between the hours of 12-2 or 5-7. Just thought that maybe one or 2 family activities would have been nice during a portion of that time.

I also want to say, we spend a ton of family time together also. As we have been to these same ports of call many many times, We usually use a large portion of the Port days to spend wonderful time in Non crowded pools and slides on the ships.

This was the first time I experienced the clubs closing. I was just on the Star in July and the club didn't close on that ship at that time.

Luckily my son will be 10 the next time we cruise NCL, so that may help us a bit when he has the ability to sign himself in and out of the club. I just really wanted to warn other cruisers so they were not caught off guard as I was

I understand - you are a NCL veteran so it is completely understandable that this would throw you for a loop. You are used to scheduling things at certain times and that didn't happen on this cruise.

There was something VERY different going on in that age group on Epic. My daughter sounds so much like your son. Even on her worst cruise - I had to drag her out of the kids club. I have never been called so much in my life!

She was so disappointed! One of the other mothers said that there was a boy bullying the other kids (which is why my daughter was hit in the face with a dodgeball). It seemed like it was out of control and total chaos these past few weeks for that age group. :(

I understand - you are a NCL veteran so it is completely understandable that this would throw you for a loop. You are used to scheduling things at certain times and that didn't happen on this cruise.

There was something VERY different going on in that age group on Epic. My daughter sounds so much like your son. Even on her worst cruise - I had to drag her out of the kids club. I have never been called so much in my life!

She was so disappointed! One of the other mothers said that there was a boy bullying the other kids (which is why my daughter was hit in the face with a dodgeball). It seemed like it was out of control and total chaos these past few weeks for that age group. :(

We still love the Epic and won't let this one experience change that. We are actually scheduled to be on the Epic next October for over 20 days. My son will be 10 and he is sooo excited about being able to sign in and out of the club himself. He knows that ship like the back of his hand.

I did send a letter to NCL to let them know my thoughts and ask if the new closing times are just being tested on Epic or if they are thinging of fleetwide. My PCC was very surprised when I told her about the closing. She actually asked if I find out any more info to please pass on to her. She said she would do the same for me. She knows I am on CC all the time and find out info from fellow CCers before she knows some things. Lol that people on here know more than the cruise consultants. It always makes me chuckle

We just got off the Gem yesterday (11/25 sailing), and the kids club closed down for the 2-5 year old group only between 5-7pm on Sea Days. It was also closed unless you signed up in advance on port days during the breakfast/lunch/dinner hour where you pay $6 for that hour. For the 6-9 and 10-12 age groups they didn't close down. There were no scheduled activities for kids from 5-7, but it didn't bother us, we just ate an early dinner all together between 5:30 and 7, or fed my 3yo dd and then took her back to kids club before we ate dinner at 7 or 7:30. It wasn't a problem at all, I think the issue (though they also quoted the "allergy" issue to me) is that some parents never picked up their kids, and there were little kids not being fed because the counselors don't have the resources to feed dozens of kids for each meal.

My 3yo had a great time, and we look forward to another trip on NCL - I'm only sorry they're changing their program to start at 3 instead of 2, since she has a little sister, and it'll be another 2.5 years until we can cruise and take advantage of the club for both kids.

We just got off the Gem yesterday (11/25 sailing)' date=' and the kids club closed down for the 2-5 year old group only between 5-7pm on Sea Days. It was also closed unless you signed up in advance on port days during the breakfast/lunch/dinner hour where you pay $6 for that hour. For the 6-9 and 10-12 age groups they didn't close down. There were no scheduled activities for kids from 5-7, but it didn't bother us, we just ate an early dinner all together between 5:30 and 7, or fed my 3yo dd and then took her back to kids club before we ate dinner at 7 or 7:30. It wasn't a problem at all, I think the issue (though they also quoted the "allergy" issue to me) is that some parents never picked up their kids, and there were little kids not being fed because the counselors don't have the resources to feed dozens of kids for each meal.

My 3yo had a great time, and we look forward to another trip on NCL - I'm only sorry they're changing their program to start at 3 instead of 2, since she has a little sister, and it'll be another 2.5 years until we can cruise and take advantage of the club for both kids.[/quote']

I hope others will continue to post on here what ships and age ranges are implementing these closings. It just makes it helpful to families for planning.

If you look at NCL website and the kids club FAQ sections, It still states that the club is open all ships, all day 9am-10:30pm on sea days. Please NCL, if you make changes, please communicate to the families traveling so they can plan accordingly. I guess that was my biggest complaint of all

Thanks for the info, I guess we will have to plan adult only dinners for later.

FYI Carnival kids clubs now stay open all day 10am-10pm on sea days and do not close. They do remind you to pick up your kids for lunch/dinner at each drop off.

I personally think the proper way to do something like this (if they are having parents dropping off their kids for the ENTIRE day and not feeding them...which I can't even begin to comprehend), then maybe they should have a limited amount of hours at a time that you can have your little one there. Like for instance 3 hours at a time and then you have to pick them up for a certain amount of time. It wouldn't inconvience the other families and have to be on the exact same schedule. We are not the "normal" family. We don't eat dinner at 5-6pm, it's more like 10pm. Those are the schedules that we are on and have been on for many years due to our work schedules. So if my daughter is at the kids club at the 5pm time and I have to get her, she's not going out to "eat". It's just weird for me to be told when you need to feed your child. :cool:

I cruise with NCL because of it's "freestyle"...being able to do what you want WHEN you want, not based on a schedule. Putting a schedule on the hours of operation on the kids club is definitely not "freestyle". Putting rules of having a limited number of hours at a time is understandable, just not at a certain time. :rolleyes:

I personally think the proper way to do something like this (if they are having parents dropping off their kids for the ENTIRE day and not feeding them...which I can't even begin to comprehend), then maybe they should have a limited amount of hours at a time that you can have your little one there. Like for instance 3 hours at a time and then you have to pick them up for a certain amount of time. It wouldn't inconvience the other families and have to be on the exact same schedule. We are not the "normal" family. We don't eat dinner at 5-6pm, it's more like 10pm. Those are the schedules that we are on and have been on for many years due to our work schedules. So if my daughter is at the kids club at the 5pm time and I have to get her, she's not going out to "eat". It's just weird for me to be told when you need to feed your child. :cool:

I cruise with NCL because of it's "freestyle"...being able to do what you want WHEN you want, not based on a schedule. Putting a schedule on the hours of operation on the kids club is definitely not "freestyle". Putting rules of having a limited number of hours at a time is understandable, just not at a certain time. :rolleyes:

I so 100% agree with you. That is why I was so upset and started this thread upon my return. I did send a letter to NCL corporate and will be interested in the response I get. I told them all the wonderful things we enjoyed and then told them how disappointed I was about the non freestyle aspect of the new Kids Schedule.

We too are like you and don't eat meals on the "normal" society imposed meal times. Personal family schedules do not allow that and we have our own schedule.

My biggest problem with the whole thing is I felt punished for other people's crappy parenting. I really don't understand why any cruiseline would alllow parents to leave their kids ALL Day. As I've said before, It may happen once, then the parents would be banned from allowing kids in the program. And, if a kid is complaining about being hungry, they need to find the parents and mandate they take the kids out of program and feed them. I guess I was a teacher for way too long and the teacher in me comes out. If people screw up, I tend to let them know. In the nicest way possible of course:D

We were on the Thanksgiving sailing of the EPIC also. We were very disappointed with the kids club this time. This was our 2nd sailing on the EPIC. The number of children and more importantly their behavior was horrible. My daughter hardly wanted to go. She said the staff just screamed for them to be quiet the whole time. We LOVE the Epic and will be cruising on her again next year - just not at Thanksgiving. We've experienced Thanksgiving crowds before - but kids club was overwhelming at times.

We still had a FABULOUS week. We cruised on the new Carnival Breeze the following week and would choose the Epic again in a minute.

I agree that changing the policy without publicizing it was a poor choice on NCL's part. Like others posting here, when DD was younger we primarily cruised RCCI and X, so times when the club was closed were expected. Both lines did a good job of offering family friendly activities during this time frame.

I understand both the poster's position and the ship's but cannot really come up with a practical solution.

I can understand that it would be a logistical nightmare to monitor whether each child had exceeded some time limit and/or had eaten. I am also certain that the number of kids who are left on board on port days is far more managable plus ALL those kids are going to eat-if a child is left in the club at a certain time the counselors would need to take that child with them to eat and then some parents would be upset that they had spoiled their child's appetite when they came to pick the kids up (not to mention the fact that they would need to chase all over the ship to find the kids in some DR.

Archived