Coffee cards and coke cards

Boiler Cruiser

Re: I like the coffee served in the MDR. As far as coffee after or between meals, I bring a good insulated coffee mug and the Starbucks Via coffee packets. Dump one into the mug and add hot water. Instant good coffee whenever you want it.

Smart girl!:D

Yes, I agree. I usually travel with coffee satchets, just in case the coffee is not to my liking. I didn't need them on the Diamond. With the UKP you can get hot chocolates which are very good.:D

Coke stickers and coffee cards are one of the many rip-offs that Princess shoves down passengers throats the minute they board our ships. My suggestion, bring your own sodas (yes, it is allowed). As far as coffee goes, the so-called brewed coffee is just the same stuff that they bring down from Horizon Court and put in a coffee pot.

Coffee is fresh brewed in the International Cafe. You can watch as the barristers load the machines.

If you are accustomed to good quality coffee, you definitely will want a coffee card. The vile concoction in the Horizon Court (buffet) is syrup based. Room service and dining room coffee are also syrup based. I must say the dining room coffee tastes a tad better. Maybe the kitchen staff cleans their machine. :rolleyes:

Not that syrup-based coffee is always a bad thing. My hometown source, http://www.javacoffee.com/, informs me there are different grades for syrup coffee, as with ground coffee. Regardless of grade, the taste of syrup based is always going to be somewhat inferior to an equivalent grade of ground. Based on flavor, Princess must use the lowest grade (cheapest) available.

Coffee is fresh brewed in the International Cafe. You can watch as the barristers load the machines.

If you are accustomed to good quality coffee, you definitely will want a coffee card. The vile concoction in the Horizon Court (buffet) is syrup based. Room service and dining room coffee are also syrup based. I must say the dining room coffee tastes a tad better. Maybe the kitchen staff cleans their machine. :rolleyes:

Not that syrup-based coffee is always a bad thing. My hometown source, http://www.javacoffee.com/, informs me there are different grades for syrup coffee, as with ground coffee. Regardless of grade, the taste of syrup based is always going to be somewhat inferior to an equivalent grade of ground. Based on flavor, Princess must use the lowest grade (cheapest) available.

Trust me when I say it is not as bad as at least two other cruise lines.:D

Does anyone know if the "old style" coffee cards which still have punches left are accepted for the expresso type coffees?
You can use punches on the "old style" cards for any drink at the IC. You will be charged a punch for fresh brewed coffee, specially teas or hot chocolate also if you use the "old style" cards.

Does anyone know if the "old style" coffee cards which still have punches left are accepted for the expresso type coffees?

Extract from post #10.

"Since the coffee card is for a discrete quantity it's not time limited. If there are punch outs remaining at the end of the cruise the card will carry over to the next cruise. The unlimited brewed coffee does not carry over. "

Edited by Stevesan

Do you have to purchase the cards for the entire length of your trip or can you specify how many days you want to purchase? We like sodas but don't drink them everyday.
Soda cards must be purchased for the length of the cruise at $5.18/day. Individual sodas are $2.24. If you plan to drink an average of two sodas or less per day it is cheaper to buy individual sodas.

Do you have to purchase the cards for the entire length of your trip or can you specify how many days you want to purchase? We like sodas but don't drink them everyday.

If you only want soda once in a while, you may be better off bringing on a six pack or eight pack of your preferred soft drink. You will have a 'fridge in your cabin.

The 20 oz bottles work well because you can drink some and close it up again for later. If you will not have time to go shopping prior to embarkation, pack them in your (airline) checked bag and they should be fine. Wrap in a trash bag just in case but should be okay.

If you only want soda once in a while, you may be better off bringing on a six pack or eight pack of your preferred soft drink. You will have a 'fridge in your cabin.

The 20 oz bottles work well because you can drink some and close it up again for later. If you will not have time to go shopping prior to embarkation, pack them in your (airline) checked bag and they should be fine. Wrap in a trash bag just in case but should be okay.

While it may be cheaper to bring your own, I find it to be a pain in the neck to have to go back to my cabin to get a drink! I find it much more convenient and still cheaper than the soda card simply to buy individual sodas.

While it may be cheaper to bring your own, I find it to be a pain in the neck to have to go back to my cabin to get a drink! I find it much more convenient and still cheaper than the soda card simply to buy individual sodas.

Not if you dislike Coke as I do and prefer only Pepsi. I get my Coke free and still bring on Pepsi.

Edited by Pia1913

[quote name='ChiefBoats']Yes. Can't speak for the coke card but the coffee card is still $30.[/quote]

[SIZE="4"][B][COLOR=#0033cc][FONT=Times New Roman]$33.35 buys a coffee card with fifteen punch outs for specialty coffees, and unlimited brewed coffee at the cafes and lounges that have brewed coffee.[/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE] Edited by Stevesan

[quote name='patfra2']How does it work for people who are on a long cruise booked as one in comparison to 3 back to back for the same cruises. Is the coffee card good for the whole cruise?[/quote]

Yes, it's good for the whole cruise.

[quote name='patfra2']How does it work for people who are on a long cruise booked as one in comparison to 3 back to back for the same cruises. Is the coffee card good for the whole cruise?[/quote]

[quote name='Pia1913']Yes, it's good for the whole cruise.[/quote]

If you are asking about the unlimited fresh brewed, the answer is "yes" but make sure the card is marked as such when you purchase it.

They write the cruise number on the card and your cruise will have three different numbers (and a new cruise card for each segment). So it is important when you purchase it to make sure they mark the card correctly. If necessary ask for a supervisor.

[quote name='caribill']If you are asking about the unlimited fresh brewed, the answer is "yes" but make sure the card is marked as such when you purchase it.

They write the cruise number on the card and your cruise will have three different numbers (and a new cruise card for each segment). So it is important when you purchase it to make sure they mark the card correctly. If necessary ask for a supervisor.[/quote]
The staff are usually obliging but sometimes the manager helps clear up the issues. My card kept losing its magnetic powers and as such needed to be replaced every other day, this meant that a New UKP sticker was then required every time. We started to laugh abpout it at the end as it happened so often.:D

[quote name='ericosmith']Does anybody know if there are any caffine free diet sodas available with the card?[/quote]
[COLOR=Indigo][FONT=Comic Sans MS]With the regular soda sticker, you only get what they have in the gun at the bar: Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, ginger ale, club soda, and tonic water. So that's four out of six. They don't have any caffeine-free cola drinks, but you're welcome to bring aboard your own, if that's your preference.

-rdsqrl, who's wishing she could get them to start carrying San Pellegrino Limonata soda . . .
[/FONT][/COLOR]