Ultimate Ship Tour

tfox1018

We just got off the Grand and I gave DH (and me!) this tour for his birthday. We thoroughly enjoyed it and he said he would do again on a different ship to see the differences. Parting gifts were nice and I agree that I viewed this as an "excursion". It's amazing what you learn and appreciate more - the crew member who was assigned to steam ironing sleeves and pants legs in the laundry worked a shift of 4 hours on, 2 off, 4 on. It's hot and on deck 2 or 3 I think. We had 10 in our group and it took about 3 hours.

Just off the CB - We had the opportunity to do the Ultimate Ship Tour and it was definitely the highlight of our cruise. It was something on our bucket list. If you can afford it, I would definitely recommend it. We saw so many areas you would never see, and saw how proud the crew behind the scenes were of their jobs. We also got a Princess bath robe, an apron, and stationary from the print shop with our names on it. They also sent a phographer out with us and we received all of the pictures taken from the behind the scenes areas - about 6 each to my husband and I). Some of the areas toured were the medical center, print shop, galley and bake shop, food stores, laundry, the mooring stations, the funnels, the engine control room, the theatre and behind the stage area and dressing room, and the bridge. In the galley, we were offered a non-alcoholic drink and canapes as well as pastries and in the bridge at the end of the tour they had similar offerings along with higher end champagne and canapes. Security accompanied us throughout the tour as the crew are advised to call security when non crew are in crew only areas as we were. Completely would do it again! For us the tour lasted four hours!

Hi Maureen,

Hope you are having a good weekend - WAIT - you always have a good time wherever you are.

I think I'd like the apron - would probably wear it a lot more then the jacket.

Sandy

Hi Sandy! I had such a good weekend that I'm only now checking the boards, and it's the weekend again! Hope that you're enjoying this festive season. Have you used your FCC yet?

Maureen

Hi Sandy! I had such a good weekend that I'm only now checking the boards, and it's the weekend again! Hope that you're enjoying this festive season. Have you used your FCC yet?

Maureen

Hi Maureen,

We were also away for a party this weekend - thought I was back on the ship.

It snowed today so it makes it look like Christmas but I hate winter. Terrible driving conditions and the first snowfall is always a learning curve for people,

We have a Tahiti cruise booked so hope it will apply to that one. Also have the Royal for next Christmas. Been too busy to think beyond that.

Have a great holiday season.

Sandy

My wife and I just got off a 10 day Caribbean cruise on the Emerald. We both signed up for the Ultimate Ship's Tour. We signed up on day 5 or 6 of the 10 day cruise and there were still spots left. Probably 9 of us did the tour on the last sea day.

We both got a chef's jacket and the plush robe, and not just one of each. Makes sense since we each paid the hefty charge! We'll keep one of each, and right now a chef's jacket and robe are on ebay! Let's see if anyone wants them!

Best,

Alan

We sail in 18 Days, 22 hrs and 37 minutes and there are 7 in our group that want to this on the Sun Princess.

Where do you go to sign up for it?

Purser's desk, as soon as possible after you board. One person can probably sign up for all 7, but you should know all the cabin numbers.

• 3 weeks later...

We did it during our British Isles cruise and loved it! The price is steep, but the memories and souveneirs were worth it!

We use the chef's jacket when people come over to eat at our house (as a joke). Remember to order a size smaller than you normally wear, because they run big. I wear a L and I should've written down M on the form.

Sign up the day you come aboard. There were 12 in our group and we were the first on the list.

We have no use for the robes (they are SUPER plush and take up a lot of room in your luggage - beware) so we washed them and hung them in our guest bedroom closet for guests at home.

The 10 places you visit on the ship are incredible. If it helps any, I included a short review of our Ultimate Ship tour in one of my reveiw posts here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=34210574&postcount=150

Have fun! It's worth it!

They must have trouble selling the tour latel on the island- we're 5 days into the trip & they've still trying to get enough people. ;)

But, you're cruising at one of the cheapest times of the year

-- that's when the thrifty people are on board.

Compare to a NY eve cruise.

As to dropping the price to fill the tour...

The goal is to maximize profits, not fill the tour.

Just did TUST on Ruby and loved it! DW was skeptical of the price, but after the tour she agreed it was worth it (though probably won't do it again).

Received robe, apron, pictures, picture frame, and a personalized notepad.

We visited the Theater, anchor and lines, engine control room, galley, storage, laundry, printing, med center, engine stacks, and bridge. Including some snacks and beverages along the way. Bridge tour alone was 45 minutes and including a great tour by the young 3rd officer, and some time speaking with the Captain himself and pictures.

Our tour was 11 people, with max of 12 spots (idk if the 12th spot went unfilled, we had a group of 3, so they may have just called it a day at 11).

Archived