Vision of the Seas Review - November 23 - December 3, 2012

Your detail is fantastic, you certainly put a lot into your trip. Great to see positive info on the ship we are doing 10 nights on March 8. After reading your interesting days I am now getting excited.

Thank you

:)

Thank you! The ship is in much better shape than what the negative reviews would lead you to believe. I think if you go on the ship understanding that the Vision is not the Freedom or Oasis Class then you will be fine. To expect all the modern bells and whistles on a ship that is substantially smaller and has not been put through revitalization is ridiculous.

Lisa

Thursday, November 29th

Welcome to Dominica! This island is a gem in the Caribbean. A bunch of us from CC all booked the Roseau Valley Treasures Tour with Bumpiing Tours...that would be Levi. Our van was driven by Levi and included my new buddies: Kay & Mike, Kathy & Steve, Sandi & Rich, and Martine. There were 13 of us in this van.

Our first stop was at Champagne Reef to go snorkeling. Champagne Reef gets its name from all the bubbles that come out of cracks at the bottom...looks like champagne bubbles. We saw lots of Sergeant Majors, Sea Urchins, an Eel, and other fish I cannot identify without my trusty fish book. We had an hour and a half to snorkel. Walt and I stuck to the rocks by the shore and saw amazing coral and schools of fish. One word of advice is to wear water shoes. The beach is rocky, not sandy.

Our second stop was Titou Gorge and it is an adventurous drive to get there. Scenes from Pirates of the Caribbean 2 were filmed there, so that's why I wanted to go. The water is cold! I mean 60 degrees cold. You have the option to jump in or take the stairs. We all decided to go with the stairs. Levi told us that once you get in to get in to your neck quickly. That did help me acclimate to the temperature much quicker than I thought it would take. You swim through the caves to the waterfalls. The current from the falls was strong, so Levi threw us the life preserver ring and pull us one or two at a time to the other side. A few of the group jumped off the falls and ledges. Levi free climbed up to the top and made a huge splash from 20 feet up. I decided not to tempt fate or injury and did not jump. The gorge was incredible.

Stop number three was Trafalgar Falls. We hiked up to the platform to see the falls and then hiked down to the hot pools below. At the platform we saw 2 spectacular waterfalls! Walt and I hiked down to the pools with the group, but decided to turn around and go back instead of exploring them. I am a notorious klutz, and felt like I would probably fall if we continued on. Back at the parking area I bought a sandwich for Walt and I to share while we waited.

On the tour there were 2 stops with restrooms, a few shopping opportunities, and water, soda, and beer (Kabuli) were provided. This is a 5-6 hour excursion and food was not provided. We brought snacks, but they were locked in the van when we can back early from the falls...that's why I bought a sandwich.

Walt and I highly recommend booking a tour with Levi. He was incredible and tour was one of the best we have ever taken. .....

Thanks for your most excellent photo review!

I completely agree what a gem of the Caribbean Dominica is and what an outstanding tour Levi's Roseau Valley Treasures is. We did it in April of this year and were also fortunate enough to have had Levi himself as our guide. Had a fantastic time, easily the best tour we have had the pleasure of taking on any of our previous cruises.

The itineraries of these 10 & 11 night Caribbean cruises are superb. It's great that Royal Caribbean is offering them again.

Jack

Thanks for your most excellent photo review!

I completely agree what a gem of the Caribbean Dominica is and what an outstanding tour Levi's Roseau Valley Treasures is. We did it in April of this year and were also fortunate enough to have had Levi himself as our guide. Had a fantastic time, easily the best tour we have had the pleasure of taking on any of our previous cruises.

The itineraries of these 10 & 11 night Caribbean cruises are superb. It's great that Royal Caribbean is offering them again.

Jack

I agree Jack...I was so happy to see the 10 and 11 night cruises out of Fort Lauderdale. Our next cruise scheduled is 11 Days on the Legend going to Antigua, St Lucia, Barbados, Aruba, Bonaire and Grenada. Of course I will start researching the ports this weekend for a cruise that is 13 months away. If anyone has suggestions on things to do on these islands, I would love to hear them. :D

Lisa

I agree Jack...I was so happy to see the 10 and 11 night cruises out of Fort Lauderdale. Our next cruise scheduled is 11 Days on the Legend going to Antigua, St Lucia, Barbados, Aruba, Bonaire and Grenada. Of course I will start researching the ports this weekend for a cruise that is 13 months away. If anyone has suggestions on things to do on these islands, I would love to hear them. :D

Lisa

Well, for Antigua, the popular fellow is Lawrence (Lawrence of Antigua) and for St Lucia, Spencer Ambrose gets really good marks from a number of folks. We're giving both of these fellows some business on our Vision run in February and they will be in the review when we get back.

We're also checking out SunTours in Barbados that trip, but I don't have tons of detail barring that TripAdvisor had good reviews and their prices were a bit better than through the ship for a bit more tour. We shall see how that plays out.

Hopefully that info will be useful to you in a couple of months! :D

Edited by Darkwolfe
typo... of course.

Well, for Antigua, the popular fellow is Lawrence (Lawrence of Antigua) and for St Lucia, Spencer Ambrose gets really good marks from a number of folks. We're giving both of these fellows some business on our Vision run in February and they will be in the review when we get back.

We're also checking out SunTours in Barbados that trip, but I don't have tons of detail barring that TripAdvisor had good reviews and their prices were a bit better than through the ship for a bit more tour. We shall see how that plays out.

Hopefully that info will be useful to you in a couple of months! :D

I would love to hear your thoughts on those tours when you get back. According to the better half (aka Walt) it takes me 9 months of intense research to pick excursions.:rolleyes: Luckily he has been very happy with the tours I pick.

Lisa

Just love your review and pics as it makes me feel a lot better!!!! We will be on the Vision on the 25th of Jan and just can't wait.

Saw a lot of bad comments on the ship and staff from her periode in Europe but I had a hard time believing all that.. I guess it has something to do with the crowd going on those cruises and expectations they have!!

Your Review and pics are reflecting what we experienced on other RCI ship (explorer.jewel,mariner) we look forward to get aboard and grab a few cold ones along with a good Crown and ginger.:):):)

We are a canadian (qc) couple in our late 30s and early 40s and just love the RCI way of dooing things... We usualy go to every show and love the good entertainment along with a good and funny Cruise Director.. Quest is always a must for us since we like to laugh a lot.

Anyway I want to thank you for your very complete review and wish you happy hollydays..

Erick

Just love your review and pics as it makes me feel a lot better!!!! We will be on the Vision on the 25th of Jan and just can't wait.

Saw a lot of bad comments on the ship and staff from her periode in Europe but I had a hard time believing all that.. I guess it has something to do with the crowd going on those cruises and expectations they have!!

TE]

I was on this cruise and part of the M&M group with Lisa. Talking with many staff and crew members. I found out that a good portion of them are new to the ship. Although not to RCI. Many only on their 2nd or 3rd cruise on Vision. The guests on board our sailing all were very pleasant and congenial.

I would love to hear your thoughts on those tours when you get back. According to the better half (aka Walt) it takes me 9 months of intense research to pick excursions.:rolleyes: Luckily he has been very happy with the tours I pick.

Lisa

Somehow or another I wound up chief planner and bottle washer for our little four-person cruise group for the last several years. So far, nobody has any complaints. Neither do I really since I have a ton of fun planning these things.

My friends tell me they love it simply because they just pay their part and go!

Thanks again for your review. I, as well, seem to be the chief planner for our group....we are doing Levi in Dominica, Javin in St Kitts, and Antigua Paddles in Antigua. St Maarten we are doing a French Catamaran. I am going to forward this thread to my co cruisers as they don't frequent the boards. I am really happy to see the pics and hear about Levi's tour...thanks!!!

Forgot to say that this tour was with Royston and Royston was our guide...

Batik Demo

PB300249.jpg

I let Walt use my camera...still at the Batik Factory

PB300252.jpg

Enjoying a refreshing Carib after all the hard shopping...

PB300259.jpg

Well, photobucket is acting up again...more pics this afternoon.

Lisa

.....Our next cruise scheduled is 11 Days on the Legend going to Antigua, St Lucia, Barbados, Aruba, Bonaire and Grenada. Of course I will start researching the ports this weekend for a cruise that is 13 months away. If anyone has suggestions on things to do on these islands, I would love to hear them. :D

Lisa

Some tours/excursions that we've really enjoyed on previous visits to some of the ports of call you'll be going to:

Antigua - Eli's Eco Tour and Creole Cruises Lobster Lunch Cruise.

St. Lucia - Cosol's Tour.

Barbados - Silver Moon Catamaran.

And by the way, what type of camera do you use?

Jack

Some tours/excursions that we've really enjoyed on previous visits to some of the ports of call you'll be going to:

Antigua - Eli's Eco Tour and Creole Cruises Lobster Lunch Cruise.

St. Lucia - Cosol's Tour.

Barbados - Silver Moon Catamaran.

And by the way, what type of camera do you use?

Jack

Thanks for the tour recommendations! I used my brand new Olympus Tough on this trip. I wanted one camera that could do everything. I was able to do great panoramics, regular shots, and under water. It is shock proof from 6 1/2 feet and water proof to 33 feet.

Here's a panoramic that I took with it...St Martin

PB270172.jpg

and another...Tortola

PB260144.jpg

Lisa, did you carry on wine? Would there be a problem with 2 bottles in each of our carryons? You mentioned having shots, did you carry that on too? Thanks!!!

We brought two bottles of Champagne onboard with no problem. We had ordered the wine package before the rule changed, so I did not try to bring more onboard. One of the other CC'ers (who will not be named) managed to get a yummy bottle of rum he/she picked up in a port onto the ship. I don't smuggle booze onboard because I drink mainly beer and wine...plus with my luck I would get busted immediately. :eek:

Lisa

Ok, photobucket seems to be working again, so here are more pics...

Rich is not driving, just posing. This is Royston's open air van...

PB300261.jpg

At the fort...HI

PB300288.jpg

Driving on the beach

PB300304.jpg

Donkeys love sugar cane

PB300331.jpg

Some of the boys we met...

PB300337.jpg

The train tour passed us as we were off roading it...

PB300354.jpg

Friday, November 30th

Today was our final port day and we arrived right on time in St Kitts. A few months back I booked an island tour with Royston and then told everyone on the roll call about it. 8 of us were in Royston's Toyota van, while the rest were split up into two mini-buses. The mini-buses are air conditioned while the van is open air. By open air I mean Royston took out all of the side windows. Even though it was in the 80's we were very comfortable in the van. And without windows it was very easy to take photos (no window glare).

On our van were me & Walt, Sandi & Rich, Kathy & Steve, and Allen & Patti. Allen and Patti had not done any excursions with our motley crew during the week, so they were soon indoctrinated. Royston charged $45 per person for the island tour and it is supposed to be 5 hours with beer, soda, water, and lunch.

We went to an old sugar plantation first. Then we were off to the Batik factory (there are restrooms here). Kathy and I having been waiting all week to go shopping for Batik...and were driving our DH's a little batty with anticipation. Batik is all hand dyed and the process is very interesting to watch. Basically they paint wax on the areas that they do not want dye to touch and they paint the dye on the rest. Somehow I managed to stay under my Batik budget and bought three bandanas, 3 sarongs/pareos, 4 small wall hangings, and 4 hand fans for $187 US. Walt bought himself 2 tropical shirts since he does were tropical shirts all the time at home. Men's tropical shirts were $50 each. I think the Batik ladies loved us.

After the Batik factory we all started drinking the Caribs. 10:30am is 5 o'clock somewhere, right? Next stop was the old fort. The vistas from here are magnificent! The mid-level area of the fort had a cafe with food and beverages and there were also restrooms. This is the location that we grabbed a random tourist to take our van group picture with Royston.

Along the way there were many stops to take pictures and stops at craft huts to buy things. At one stop Royston bought us there delicious island coconut cookies to snack on. The lady sold them out of her souvenir hut and makes them daily at her house. One of shopping hut stops had donkeys, so Royston gave us sugar cane to feed them from the van. Donkeys on a sugar high is a sight not to be missed.

Later on in the day Royston decided to off-road it a bit in the van (the mini-buses do not go off road). We drove down a beach on the edge of the water, took a dirt road up Thompson Mountain, and various other places. Our 5 hour tour ended up being 7 hours, but the time flew by. Lunch was on a beach and we had Roti's. Roti's are basically a wrap with curry, mashed potatoes, and either chicken or conch. I had the conch and absolutely loved it...but, I love curry. Walt was not keen on the lunch...thought there was too much potato and curry. Food is very subjective even in our own family.

We got back to port at 3:30 which gave me an hour to find Larimar earrings to match my ring. I found a pair at Desires Jewelry store at a good price, so I bought them.

For sail away scottamiller threw a party on his aft balcony. Thanks Scott! A bunch of us from the roll call showed up and shared Champagne, wine, and shots together. Afterwards we headed to the Solarium for a quick dip, where once again it was a ghost town at night. For dinner we went to MTD again. Alex, the maitre de, is wonderful. He comes over a few times every evening to check on us and chat. Alex is also the maitre de for breakfast in the dining room, and always seems to spot us and chat more.

After 5 port days in a row we were beat and went to bed early. Yes, that is another day of no show in the theater.

Just emailed Royston Tours, good reviews beside yours. Hope he answers and we can sign up for our Jan cruise. thanks for the info you posted, every little bit helps when it is your first time at a place.