Transatlantic crossings. When do they change the time?

Jacqueline

I am going east which seems to be more problematiic.

Do they do it at night or during the day? It seems like different lines take a different approach.

We are on the Miami to Barcelona crossing in April.

Still better than flying! I am suprised to see so many complaints when doing a boardwide search.

As Jim said, in either direction the time change is overnight.

It's great coming from there to here ...

But not so bad in the other direction. Either way, you have adjusted to the time changes.

Mura

Agree with the other posters about the time normally changing in the middle of the nite however, in a recent eastbound TA for some strange reason I think due to daylight savings time, we actually set the clocks ahead 2 hours at one point. The first hour lost was when we went from 4 PM to 5 PM in the afternoon and then another hour in the middle of that nite. UGH!!!!

Problem was that the ship was trying to match port times at all times.

Do they do it at night or during the day? It seems like different lines take a different approach.

Still better than flying! I am suprised to see so many complaints when doing a boardwide search.

Time change is done at night. When you return to your room, there will be a note on your bed as to the time change. Heading east, you will be losing time. We just returned from the Barcelona to Miami TA and we gained sleep, which since we live in Arizona, left us with almost no jet lag (Miami and Arizona are 2 hours apart).

Having just done the Transatlantic from Barcelona to Miami (opposite direction as OP), everything was done at night. I coined a new word... ship-lag! I don't know what was wrong with me... but as we sailed my body was not adjusting. Every time the time changed, I got up an hour earlier. At one point I was up at 3:30am!!! Darn ship-lag! :)

It is odd how even one hour can be enough to throw one off! I just spent 10 days in Guatamela and I think was the altitude and actual hours of daylight that played games with me!

The early sunset here in NY has changed my wake/sleep. interesting stuff.. Thank goodness I will not be doing brain surgery on the TA. Time change is pretty interesting as a phenomema. Especially given the champagne I anticiipate enjoying... I just hope that the spa makes their classes later..i will not wake up, early up early on all those sea days.. I may actually call the Canyon Ranch on that...

And crossing the International Date Line going Westward you lose a day

12/02 Apia, Western Samoa8.00am6.00pm

13/02 Pago Pago American Samoa8.00am4.00pm

14/02 At sea

15/02 Date Line Crossing

16/02 Lautoka, Fiji12.00pm8.00pm

17/02 Suva Fiji8.00am8.00pm

18/02 At sea

19/02 Luganville, Vanuatu8.00am3.00pm

27-Jan-2013 South Pacific & New Zealand 30 Nights Marina, Polynesia Treasures ex Papeete to Auckland

Somehow on this 30 night Cruise they don't seem to lose a day :confused:

Must be different rules compared to planes :cool:

Just returned from 34 days Caribbean Cruise from and to Rotterdam The Netherlands. The clocks were changed at 14.00 either one hour forward (from Caribbean to Europe)or backward (Europe to Carabbean). Never had any problem with it. Worked well for everybody.

peter

Archived