Tendering from Marina

Jimosprey

When at a port where the ship must anchor out, when itinerary says arrive

at 8am, does that mean tendering into shore begins at 8am?

What is the priority for passengers being able to tender?

Will boats be tendering into shore at later times, say 10am?

What about returning to ship later from shore. Are there usually options

for earlier or later return on the same day? Thank you.

When at a port where the ship must anchor out, when itinerary says arrive

at 8am, does that mean tendering into shore begins at 8am?

What is the priority for passengers being able to tender?

Will boats be tendering into shore at later times, say 10am?

What about returning to ship later from shore. Are there usually options

for earlier or later return on the same day? Thank you.

The tenders run all day while the ship is in port so you can catch it back to the ship anytime during the day, unless they shut down for lunch. Tendering starts once they have port clearance. Again it depends on when the Oceania tours are leaving. Sometimes they have priority and other times when they are leaving later, other passengers have the ability to get on tenders first.

They will tell you where to go for the tender tickets usually the lounge & after all the morning ships's tours have gone ashore you can just go to the tender platform ..no ticket required

the last tender usually leave shore 30 min prior to sail away so be shure to be back at the dock before that

Lyn

We did have a problem in terms of timing in October 2011 in Sorrento. We were to meet a guide for a private tour at 9am. I asked Destinations when we should be in the lounge to get our tickets and was told around 8am as I recall. Actually, we were there 5-10 minutes earlier than that but even so we didn't get on a tender until about 8:40 so we met our guide late.

There was an early tender that left with non-ship's tour people but at least a half an hour wait after that until private tour (or just private individuals) could get on a tender.

I don't know that this happens all the time. My personal experience is that it was more difficult to reach a private guide in a tender port on Marina than it was on the "R" ships ... no surprise there given the different size of the ships.

We lost half an hour getting to the guide, and then another half hour on our tour of Pompeii (and I can't blame Oceania for our leisurely progress there), which caused a bit of a problem later ...not a big one!

So if you have a private guide set up in a port where you have to tender, I recommend getting to the lounge EARLY to get your pink, yellow or blue ticket.

Mura

I've only tendered once on Marina, but I was able to get on the first tender, even as an independent traveler (not on a ship's excursion). However, I don't remember the timing. I would probably count on getting off the ship a half hour later than the time noted on the itinerary for arrival, but obviously it depends upon how many excursions (and passengers) are going off early, how many independents want to go off early, and when the ship actually arrives, which can be a bit earlier than you expect. I was a tiny bit worried that tendering on Marina would take longer than on Regatta, but it didn't. Just make sure you have your traveling companions, and everything you need, before you go to the lounge to ask for tender tickets. I went early and had no problem. Of course, as someone has already stated, if you don't want to be one of the first people off, you can just wait an hour or two until an announcement is made that it is "open tendering," which means you don't need a ticket. You simply go downstairs to leave the ship; only your key card is required (no ticket).

after the fact on this T/A we just finished from Rome to Rio that if you are in a suite (PH and above) you don't need to go to the theatre to get a tender ticket...you can just go to the gangway and get on right away.....so hope this helps!!! LuAnn

Good local guides usually know the local port schedule better than the ship. With cell phones, etc they usually know of any change of dock or change in tender times.

Don't worry they will be waiting on the dock no matter what time the tender arrives. Remember, not tour no pay!

That being said, we have always found Destination Services to be helpful in getting you to the dock. It may involve a bit of waiting in the lounge but depending on the times for the ships tours, it should go quickly.

Archived