Night Helicopter Medivac on Liberty

When we lived in Haiti we had someone break a hip and try for air evac, They were quoted $25,000. Also when we lived there we were informed at one point where to go if US ordered us out and that there were would be a fee of at least $2000 pp. If it was that dangerous money is no object but... Hope that answers some questions.

Sorry if my post seemed uppity, I usually try not to do that but could not help myself tonight. :o

No problem, I was just being sarcastic anyway.

I don't have much pitty for someone whom makes bad choices that affect thousands, cost tens of thousands, and puts people in dangerous situations..

No problem, I was just being sarcastic anyway.

I don't have much pitty for someone whom makes bad choices that affect thousands, cost tens of thousands, and puts people in dangerous situations..

Sir,

I was not going to respond to any of the comments on this post, including your first, however I must. I am the woman that was rescued, I did have surgery prior to boarding the ship...well in advance and did indeed have clearance from my doctor to travel. I do not want your pity sir, and no one feels worse about those thousands of other passengers who missed port than I do. Not that you care, but to those that do, I am home now and recovering. Oh, one more thing ... I did not even go near the zip line...are you kidding me?

Sir,

I was not going to respond to any of the comments on this post, including your first, however I must. I am the woman that was rescued, I did have surgery prior to boarding the ship...well in advance and did indeed have clearance from my doctor to travel. I do not want your pity sir, and no one feels worse about those thousands of other passengers who missed port than I do. Not that you care, but to those that do, I am home now and recovering. Oh, one more thing ... I did not even go near the zip line...are you kidding me?

Thank you for posting. Yes, most of us do care. It's a shame this site has some folks with insecurity issues who, in a cowardly way, insult people they don't know are reading. Sorry your vacation had to be cut short. I applaud you for speaking up and I wish you a speedy recovery. :)

Thank you for posting. Yes, most of us do care. It's a shame this site has some folks with insecurity issues who, in a cowardly way, insult people they don't know are reading. Sorry your vacation had to be cut short. I applaud you for speaking up and I wish you a speedy recovery. :)[/quote

I am not being cowardly at all, just tell it like I see it.

I work in cardiovascular and have become increasingly intollerant toward people who refuse to take care of themselves.

Many don't want to take their medications for various reasons, follow a diet, or stop smoking(even if they have copd).

They just want to come to the hospital and "get fixed". Then go back to the lifestyle that got them there in the first place.

I see it every day and it's just getting worse.

... I did not even go near the zip line...are you kidding me?

It is funny how rumors like that spread, though perhaps not to you in this case. Glad to hear your better. I hope its not too out of line to suggest that the avatar you use this forum may be the cause of bad luck ;)

It is funny how rumors like that spread, though perhaps not to you in this case. Glad to hear your better. I hope its not too out of line to suggest that the avatar you use this forum may be the cause of bad luck ;)

I heard from someone on another website that it was a 400lb guy that had gastric bypass surgery the days before and then fell off the zipline..

I heard from someone on another website that it was a 400lb guy that had gastric bypass surgery the days before and then fell off the zipline..

That was a different cruise. This cruise sailed on 3Dec2012. I guess that the last three cruises on Liberty of the Seas have had medical evacs.

Reedl

Sir,

Thank you for posting. Yes, most of us do care. It's a shame this site has some folks with insecurity issues who, in a cowardly way, insult people they don't know are reading. Sorry your vacation had to be cut short. I applaud you for speaking up and I wish you a speedy recovery. :)[/quote

I am not being cowardly at all, just tell it like I see it.

I work in cardiovascular and have become increasingly intollerant toward people who refuse to take care of themselves.

Many don't want to take their medications for various reasons, follow a diet, or stop smoking(even if they have copd).

They just want to come to the hospital and "get fixed". Then go back to the lifestyle that got them there in the first place.

I see it every day and it's just getting worse.

@ justforkicks - I'm so happy that you posted to give an update on your condition. Thank God that your outcome was positive and you are better.

@ aquahound - You are correct; only a coward would hide behind CC posts to be hurtful to someone. Utterly ridiculous, not to mention, CRUEL.

@ mattj2000 - How about simply wishing the person well and then keepin' it movin'? That would be the more compassionate approach...geesh :confused:

You based your comments on something you heard without knowing if it was true or not? By a quick search, you would have found that there is a weight limit on ziplines well below 400 lbs. I don't know about you but that would certainly convince me it was nothing but a rumor with no credence. I would also find it hard to believe that someone would be on a cruise just days after a gastric bypass.

Justforkicks, glad you had a good outcome and are home recovering.:)

as others have mentioned the Coast Guard does not send a bill for the cost of a helo medivac - so just attach a thank you note to your tax check the year you get a ride.

but ponder this:

A while back I was Captain of a cutter working in the Windward Passage between Haiti and Cuba and in the wee hours we got a call from the CG Miami Operations Center. A cruise ship heading through the pass had a passenger needing emergency surgery. The ship's alarm went off to wake everyone up.

We had a helo on the back and were the only helo anywhere near. Some quick calculations and we determined we were close enough to launch the helo (at zero dark hundred), fly to the cruise ship - do a QUICK hoist - and then fly the victim back to the ship, do a "hot refuel"of the helo and continue to Guantanamo Bay Cuba where the USN hospital would be ready to receive them. And that's exactly what we did ..... and I was informed the patient got there in time.

So .... how did the patient get from GITMO back to the states? Was that a freebie too? Other times the nearest hospital is in the Bahamas or Jamaica ... CG will take the subject to the nearest hospital able to provide care as determined by the duty flight surgeon. That's where you MIGHT need some insurance . . .

and to those who ask how the decision is made as to helo, or turn the ship, or small boat transfer - usually it is first a matter of what's even an available option. In the case I describe, if we did not happen to be in the right place that night, in a workable position between the hospital and the cruise ship - that person was not seeing a doctor off the ship for 12 hours or more . . .

If looking for work - CG duty on the sea can be an interesting way to pass the time . . .

scan0002.jpg

Sir,

I applaud you for stepping forward to identify yourself. You didn't have to, especially after all the chinese whispers flying around!

That must have been a scary experience for you.

I wish you a speedy recovery.

Sir,

I'm sorry you had to read someone's incredibly insensitive comments on here...those comments do not reflect how most of us feel.

I'm really glad you're home safe, hope you feel better very soon and are able to take another cruise to make up for the missed one!

Sir,

JustForKicks - you did not need to identify yourself on here, but I can understand, after reading some of the insensitive comments on this site, why you did. I watched the video of your transport off the ship, and have been thinking about you ever since, hoping that you were in a safe place and on the mend. I'm glad to hear that is the case. Sending best wishes for a quick recovery!

Sir,

...Not that you care, but to those that do, I am home now and recovering. Oh, one more thing ... I did not even go near the zip line...are you kidding me?

Do you honestly believe that people here do not care that you are recovering? I am glad that everything worked out for you and your family. Look, crap happens everywhere, and different people deal with it different ways. But to honestly think that people do not care about your well being and health is lunacy.

Reedl

Do you honestly believe that people here do not care that you are recovering? I am glad that everything worked out for you and your family. Look, crap happens everywhere, and different people deal with it different ways. But to honestly think that people do not care about your well being and health is lunacy.

Reedl

Did you read the post she was responding to? She was defending herself against one man. You now calling her a lunatic on top of it does not help. :rolleyes:

Did you read the post she was responding to? She was defending herself against one man. You now calling her a lunatic on top of it does not help. :rolleyes:

No I phrased my words very carefully. I said that her thinking that people do not care about her well being is lunacy. I did not call her a lunatic. There is a big difference.

Agreed, Aquahound. Agreed.

Wow!!!!

I was saying that her thinking that people do not care about her condition is lunacy, not that she is a lunatic.

Can you not understand the difference?

But I guess many people do not have a good command of the English language.

Wow!!!!

I was saying that her thinking that people do not care about her condition is lunacy, not that she is a lunatic.

Your command of the English language ALSO leaves a lot to be desired.

She responded to a snarky comment where someone basically said that she didn't care enough about her own health and went on a cruise and on a zip-line against a physician's orders.

The person simply said "Not that you care, because you were so rude, but I am fine and those are lies."

Of course, I'm paraphrasing here but I think you get my point.

Wow!!!!

And once again, if you take the time to go back and look at her post, you will see it was in direct response to a man who said he did not care. Actually, "no pitty" to be exact. It is not lunacy when someone actually said it. If you didn't mean for it to read the way it did, at least admit your post was poorly worded.

Archived