Costa neoRomantica coming to Melbourne

6andy6

A Costa ship I don't think we have seen before is basing itself down here for 2 cruises.

It first arrives on the 12th December.

What is intriguing is the turn around time and the length it spends in Melbourne. It arrives on the 12th at 8am and doesn't leave until 2am on the 14th.

It's turnaround on the 2nd January is the same. Both cruises visit Sydney (for 2 1/2 days) Before heading across to circumnavigate NZ and back to Melbourne.

Very interesting. We dont know much about her down here. I have not seen any ads for her so she must be catering to an overseas market, or perhaps she is on charter.

For cam followers she has 2 cams, a forward and an aft view , so that will be great.

COSTA_NEOROMANTICA_448873.940x1000.jpg

Costa neoRomantica

Owner/Operator: Costa Crociere

Year Built: 1993

Year Rebuilt: 2012

Builder: Fincantieri, Italy

Former names: Costa Romantica (2012)

Gross Tonnage 57,150

Length: 220.6 m (718.5 ft)

Beam: 28.0 m (98.4 ft)

Passengers (normal): 1,578

Passengers (maximum): 1,800

Crew: 650

Service speed: 19.8 kn

Sister Ship: Costa Classica

What's with the "neo"? - the photo just says Costa Romantica

EDIT -- never mind! Info here http://www.costacruise.com/usa/costa_neoromantica.html

Barry

At some stage they added it to the name.....I remember reading somewhere like Wiki or something. Maybe after a refit.

Edit: yup after a 2011 refit that added 2 small decks. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Costa_neoRomantica

Edited by 6andy6

I have heard about this ship before, I think she is one of Costa's older models (1993) and had a major refurb (and I mean major) in 2011 when she was renamed Costa neoRomantica.

I like their bridge cam page too, thanks for finding it David, but I think their is an error on it as I am sure her GRT increased with all that added superstructure up to around 57,000 - 58,000.

The Romantica is the sister ship to the Costa Classica - then she was trotted off for some refurb and renamed the Neo Romantica (Costa might have run out of money when it came down to the new signage :p)

It will probably run around Asian waters when it finishes this cruise. My understanding is that it is taking the place of the "Classica" cruises which cruises through Asia.

Interesting to find out if they do the "five languages" on the current cruise.

Edited by dizzy1948

She is rated as a 3 star ship. Wonder if that takes into account the refurb she had recently?

And looks like after 1 cruise here she heads back to Europe via Singapore, Port Louis, Dubai.

Strange.

Edited by fnqboatie

Possibly Costa are testing the waters here, perhaps with a view to sending down the "smaller - older ships" - this of course is only supposition on my part - though the Romantica has had this cruise on the go for over 12 months - so it's not a "sudden thing".

Could do with a replacement in the West now that CIC is no more. :(

Those little weekenders - and other short cruises out of Fremantle were very popular - and fully booked up - it was the quick and the dead to get on one of those. :eek:

Edited by dizzy1948

• 11 months later...

We are on this ship for 46 days - starting at Sydney 6th Dec and finishing in Italy on the 21st Jan 2014. I have niggling worries as I don't drink, but we are asked to pay approx £1600 for the drinks package is this worth it? What does a lager cost? does anyone know how much the spa is? The Costa site isn't very helpful.

We joined neoRomantica last year for a very leisurely Christmas / New Year cruise round NZ ex Melbourne. It was the middle part of a very long cruise to/from Savona, and the cruise was so poorly promoted here that the prices were dropped at the last minute, and those Australians who booked via overseas sites enjoyed a fabulous cruise on a beautifully appointed ship.

Costa seems to be trying to promote this small ship as a prestige product, and no expense was spared in making the cruise a very special one. The Italian and international crew were great, and the Italian chef did us proud in the food department. I've never had better prepared salads aboard ship, and their veal dishes were sublime.

Lovely outdoor pool areas, a relaxed atmosphere, and perhaps it's only fault was a combined show lounge / bar area which at times was very noisy.

Costa have one of the best priced drinks packages around [about e20 p.d. from memory], which cover drinks, beer, wine, bottled water, tea and coffee in the lounges, and a quite extensive choice of cocktails.

Be warned that quite a lot of elderly Italian passengers will be aboard, many of whom do not speak english. Also quite a few French, however we find the French to be delightful.

Its coming through again in early Dec 2013 on its World Cruise.

Hard to find any site with its itinerary though.

Its in Auckland 1 Dec and Sydney 6Dec. There may some segments available but they are not being advertised down here........

As this is an Italian based ship company and they have always allowed smoking in far more areas than the other ship I wonder if based here in Australia they will have to comply with Aussie laws. It is the smoking that has always put me off this line I would love to try it

Smoking question: in the two lounges, half of each lounge is designated Non Smoking. No smoking in most other areas.

Itinerary: Sydney to Savona 46 days 6th Dec to 21 Jan ---

Hard to find any information on this cruise on any Australian site [shades of last year's situation], however you can find the itinerary and prices on certain US based cruise sites. Here it is:

Sydney [o/n] - Melbourne - Fremantle - Mauritius - Reunion Island - Maputo - Richards Bay - Durban [o/n] - Capetown [2 o/n] - Walvis Bay - St. Helena - Dakar - Tenerife - Funchal - Malaga - Marseille - Savona.

Prices [in US $ and possibly with govt charges not included]:

Inside $5889 Balcony $12029 Suite $14609

I've been trying to access the cruise via http://www.costacruise.com however the site is busy, so that may be a way of obtaining up to date pricing.

Unless things have changed overnight - which I doubt - Costa ships don't have a buffet at dinner/night - you have to dine in the main dining room/s or have Pizza in the buffet until around 8.00 - then there is a pizza bar - one type suits all - very thin base - and very very light on topping. No late night feast (not that worry's me) the waiters walk around with the main bar with a tray with tiny sandwiches/cake in the latter part of the evening (around 11.00pm). Anyone interested in Costa should check the Costa Pages on Cruise Critic for more up to date info

Edited by dizzy1948

The very pleasant area at the rear of the ship with large panoramic windows which is used for the breakfast and lunch buffets and afternoon tea is set up at night for "anytime dining", hence no evening buffet, however in the early evening there is a indoor pizza bar near the pool that also provides snacks, cheese, etc.

After one of Costa's five course dinners, I doubt you would require a late night snack...

We saw her in Sydney last December, very ugly looking ship with those balconies tacked onto the side.

I also saw her.

Agree, not an attractive ship, but should be able to visit smaller ports.

I was impressed that she stayed in port longer than usual.

Good Italian food sounds appealing.

I'm also interested in their smoking policy. Multi language is not an issue.