Stateroom Categories

LC1950

Hi Everyone,

We have booked our very first cruise and will be sailing on the Sun Princess, next April. We will be in a balcony cabin and have been checking out the deck plans on the Princess website.

Hubby and I are getting very excited, but I'm a little confused ... these cabins are separated into colour-blocks and described as either "BE", "BD", "BB" or "BA". They all seem to be uniform in size so why are they coded differently?

Many thanks in advance for your expert advice.

Thanks Waltd and Caribill. Therefore, do I assume that those cabins up towards the pointy end and those towards the blunt end would be less errrr "expensive"?
The cabins mid-ship are considered "better" because if you tend towards seasickness, lower down and mid-ship has less motion. A higher deck and further forward or aft can have more motion. Thus, mid-ship is priced higher. No cabin difference other than location.

I prefer towards the aft because it's close to the aft elevators that go up to the buffet. The icing on the cake is that these cabins are generally less expensive. They aren't worse than mid-ship cabins on the same deck. They're exactly the same with location the only difference.

Opps. Just looked at the deck plans and the buffet on the Sun Princess is forward, not aft. I still like the aft location on the Sun-class ships and I've booked balcony cabins towards the aft on all of them.

Thanks Waltd and Caribill. Therefore, do I assume that those cabins up towards the pointy end and those towards the blunt end would be less errrr "expensive"?

FYI, "pointy end" would be the bow or "front" , and "blunt end" would be the stern or "rear" of the ship . :):) Mike in CT

We always try to select cabins with cabins on the deck above and below. Look what is around your cabin choices to anticipate disturbance. For example on the Sun cabins on the Riviera Deck Forward are directly under the Horizon Ct. which is open most of the day and evening. Also, inside cabins in this area are directly under the kitchen area which has activity all evening.

Thank you Pam, RotaryMike and sknight for your advice. Very much appreciated.

We have chosen the "BB" category on Baja deck - not quite middle and not quite aft with cabins above and below. Never having been on an ocean cruise before we have no idea if we're prone to seasickness or not. Don't expect to be but who knows what that guy with the big trident will cook up for us. :D

Again, thank you all.

Motion sickness can be a real problem for many people, but with the modern, rather large cruise ships that have stablizers, in normal seas at normal speeds, motion might be hard to notice. There are numerous items or drugs available to help prevent motion sickness if it becomes a problem for you. But when bags start appearing attached to something in an elevator, I would suggest you get somewhere that allows you to look at the horizon, thus a balcony cabin. ;)

Motion sickness can be a real problem for many people, but with the modern, rather large cruise ships that have stablizers, in normal seas at normal speeds, motion might be hard to notice. There are numerous items or drugs available to help prevent motion sickness if it becomes a problem for you. But when bags start appearing attached to something in an elevator, I would suggest you get somewhere that allows you to look at the horizon, thus a balcony cabin. ;)

For me: Bonine is a great product for any type of motion sickness the key is to take first dose 24 hours before the motion related activity... (make sure to check with a doctor before taking any over the counter drug esp if you have prescriptions already or may have allergies)....

For me: Peppermint (soft you can chew) and True Ginger Ale (one having real ginger in it such as Hansen's Ginger Ale found on Amazon) are great for after the funny feeling starts....

Archived