Royal Princess Excursions

penang32

It is not too early yet. I have seen shore excursions posted as early as 8 months prior to the cruise. There is no way of predicting it. Just keep checking the Princess website periodically.
As you say, there's no way to predict. It'll depend on a number of things but primarily when contracts are signed with vendors. The Royal is a brand new ship and I don't know if a separate contract will be required for it or not since it's so much larger than previous Princess ships.

If the maiden voyage is the exact same itinerary, then you might see them opened soon. If it's not the exact same itinerary, there's no telling when they'll be available. Princess says 120 days or later. That's pretty much what's normal.

I booked a couple of excursions tonight, but you can no longer book more than one excursion unless the times don't over lap. In the past you could book as many as you wanted to hold the price and then cancel later when you decided which ones you wanted. Now, at least on this cruise, if there is a conflict Princess only books you on the one you choose first.

Princess says 120 days or later. That's pretty much what's normal.

Yes, that used to be the norm. However, I have noticed on my last 4 sailings during the past 2 years that shore excursions have been consistently available 6 months or longer before sailing. From the posts on this thread, it looks like the Royal is following the pattern of the new norm.

Yes, that used to be the norm. However, I have noticed on my last 4 sailings during the past 2 years that shore excursions have been consistently available 6 months or longer before sailing. From the posts on this thread, it looks like the Royal is following the pattern of the new norm.
It probably depends on the cruise and itinerary. They're not available for my May Diamond cruise. They were available under the "old" norm for my Star and Island cruises earlier this year. I think I'll stick with my personal experience until proven otherwise.

What's the advantage to booking excursions this far in advance? Does the price change as the cruise gets closer? Do the excursions fill up, or do they just add more buses? I haven't decided whether to take the ship's excursions or arrange private ones yet - my roll call for next August's cruise is still very quiet.

What's the advantage to booking excursions this far in advance?

Does the price change as the cruise gets closer? Sometimes, but not always. When it does change, it is 99% of the time in the up direction.

Do the excursions fill up, or do they just add more buses? They can fill up, and the popular ones can fill up quickly. The limitations for slots for many excursions do not always just involve transportation. And when transportation is the limitation, the vendor may not have the needed extra busses and personnel.

I haven't decided whether to take the ship's excursions or arrange private ones yet - my roll call for next August's cruise is still very quiet.

Remember, the Royal is the largest Princess ship so far. Just because there are more people on the ship does not mean the tour providers have the capacity to handle more people.

Archived