shoe organizer vs. 3M hooks

LVinTennessee

I've heard that the over-the-door shoe organizer can be very helpful in the small bathrooms. However, my husband and I both have toiletry bags that have lots of pockets. Both bags have a hook so you can hang them up. Not sure if the cruise bathrooms will have a place to hang them. Maybe on the towel rod? Or we could bring some 3M hooks to hang our toiletry bags. Would this work in a cruise ship bathroom?

I've heard that the over-the-door shoe organizer can be very helpful in the small bathrooms. However, my husband and I both have toiletry bags that have lots of pockets. Both bags have a hook so you can hang them up. Not sure if the cruise bathrooms will have a place to hang them. Maybe on the towel rod? Or we could bring some 3M hooks to hang our toiletry bags. Would this work in a cruise ship bathroom?

Another option that might work for you is to get a couple of over-the-door hooks. They're fairly inexpensive. They're usually less than $5.00. Plus, they'll hold more weight than the 3M hooks.

We've never needed to bring "organizers"...there's counter space and shelves! Most of your hair and make-up items will be in the cabin, as there's more space and that's where the hairdryer will be and where the outlets are!

"Most of your hair and make-up items will be in the cabin..."

As opposed to out in the hallway? :confused:

By the way, there's only one outlet in the bathroom (that shuts off when you turn off the light), and only one outlet in the cabin. That's why some people like to bring a power strip. Make sure if you bring a power strip that it is new or in like-new condition. We use a Belkin mini power strip with surge protector. Some have reported having their power strip confiscated, but that may be due to the condition of the power strip.

Personally, the storage space in cruise ship bathrooms is adequate for us. There are shelves and counter space. Shower stuff goes in the shower. Lotion, toothpaste, and a couple other things go on a shelf/counter in the bathroom. Makeup bag goes on a shelf in the cabin.

If you are a light enough packer that you can fit all your bathroom stuff in a small toiletry bag, the over-the-door shoe organizer will probably be overkill for you. And if you're comfortable storing your stuff in the toiletry bags instead of having it out, why do you need to hang the bags? The bathrooms aren't huge, but there is SOME shelf/counter space.

That said, 3M hooks are cheap and light - so if you think they might be handy, they're not going to take up much luggage space. Personally, I hate packing things that I don't need to, but I understand why others like to be prepared for scenarios that might come up. Also, some people use the over-the-door organizers for other small items, like electronics chargers. We throw our chargers in a zip-lock bag and put them in a pocket of our luggage. That works well for us.

We use the shoe holder on the outside of the bathroom door (closet area) for things that are not toiletries, cut it in half so there are only 12 slots. Sunscreen, sunglasses, boca clips, playing cards, flat iron, hairbrush, etc to keep the clutter off of the desk. We bring a Belkin power strip too.

After reading about shoe organizers a few months ago, I pulled out two "roll-up" organizers with clear plastic zippered pockets.....and got DH a nice shoe organizer and WOW!

NO MORE JUNK DRAWERS! Packing to go home was also a breeze

If there are no doors, just hang on the closet rod or on a coat hanger.

I bring the "bare necessities" but any type of shoe organizers has made life on board a lot less cluttered

My husband and I both have toiletry bags with hooks. We've been on several lines/ships and we always hang them on the provided towel rod inside the bathroom.

There are also shelves in the bathroom, plenty of space for everything.

I take 3 different toiletry bags. One for bathroom use, one for hair supplies, one for makeup. I never could put my makeup on in the bathroom, nor do my hair in there, I use the desk or even go out on the balcony to do my makeup (better lighting). The bathroom is just too close and mostly steamy from the shower, plus my husband is usually in the shower while I do my makeup/hair.

We bring a different type of shoe organizer to hang and the mesh shower organizer. The shoe hanger we have is like vertcal rectangles, openings about the size of a shoe box, stacked on top of each other. We hang in the center of the closet for shoes and other small items (for AK gloves, hats, binoculars, etc). We also have two bags we bring for dirty laundry and they sit on the floor of the closet.

The mesh shower organizer was not really useful in the shower as there was plenty of space on the shelves in the shower. On upcoming trip plan to hang it on the metal rail by the TV to hold sunglasses, reading glasses, phones, iPods, charger cords, wine opener, etc.

• 3 weeks later...
We've never needed to bring "organizers"...there's counter space and shelves! Most of your hair and make-up items will be in the cabin, as there's more space and that's where the hairdryer will be and where the outlets are!

On many ships the hair dryer is in the bathroom, immovable, not in the cabin.

I have a zipper 'cube' for toiletries that is easily carried between cabin and bathroom and is out of sight when items aren't needed.

Archived