Curious....NCL vs CCL

DevCruise

Just to be clear, I love NCL. Not looking to permanently jump ship. However, I live local to the Norfolk, Virginia cruise terminal which unfortunately, NCL doesn't sail from. I've been debating doing a 2-Night CTN out of Norfolk on the Carnival Glory in May just to hold me over until out NCL Pearl Alaska cruise. I do realize that CTNs on any cruise line are usually a different experience from a normal cruise.

So that said, just looking for an opinion from people who love NCL and who have done CCL on whether this is a good idea or not....

Just to be clear, I love NCL. Not looking to permanently jump ship. However, I live local to the Norfolk, Virginia cruise terminal which unfortunately, NCL doesn't sail from. I've been debating doing a 2-Night CTN out of Norfolk on the Carnival Glory in May just to hold me over until out NCL Pearl Alaska cruise. I do realize that CTNs on any cruise line are usually a different experience from a normal cruise.

So that said, just looking for an opinion from people who love NCL and who have done CCL on whether this is a good idea or not....

Kind of a silly question (meant in a nice way). You live local so you have no airfare and you can take a nice two day cruise to get away from the drudgery. As long as you can afford it go for it. We promise we won't tell NCL.

We have taken 9 cruises on NCL, and one each on CCL and Princess. Carnival was last Feb. on the Valor. We will not take the Valor again. It was ugly. That is strictly our opinion. Even so, we would take a CCL Cruise to Nowhere in a minute. We might even take another CC cruise out of Miami.

I have sailed with both and find both to be more similar than different although CCL seems to rely on a lot more passenger interactive entertainment. I would be hard pressed to pick a "favorite" and itinerary and price will be the deciding factor in most cases (although it is my goal to sail with each of the main stream lines at least once).

Haven't sailed with NCL yet but I have sailed on the Glory out of Norfolk, so I can say it is a nice ship to sail on. It also just had some recent (Nov 2012) upgrades done to it that I think have enhanced it even more. For a cruise so close to home I don't think you can go wrong! :D

Kind of a silly question (meant in a nice way). You live local so you have no airfare and you can take a nice two day cruise to get away from the drudgery. As long as you can afford it go for it. We promise we won't tell NCL.

heheh....thanks...;)

I'm honestly more worried about feeling like I wasted my money and being disappointed compared to what we get on the NCL ships. Also going to try an inside cabin since there won't be any ports to see.

I would go just for the sake of cruising anywhere on any ship. If you go in with low expectations, you may be pleased. I've never cruised on the Glory, but I have had some wonderful cruises on Carnival. I live within an hour's drive of a local port that has caused me to take a lot more Carnival cruises than any other cruise line. I find them to be fairly comparable to NCL. I'm glad you're going for an inside cabin though, because the suite life on NCL is WAY better than on Carnival. I won't even book Carnival suites because NCL has spoiled me. I say, "Go for it, and enjoy yourself!"

I'm glad you're going for an inside cabin though, because the suite life on NCL is WAY better than on Carnival. I won't even book Carnival suites because NCL has spoiled me. I say, "Go for it, and enjoy yourself!"

It's funny you mentioned that. I took at look at all the stateroom categories just to see what they had. Not even looking at benefits, the suites on the Glory are nothing like what I've seen on NCL ships.

How bad can it be? for just two days? I would go, and just have a quick getaway for a couple of days, and if it is bad, well it is only two days.

I have had 5 cruises on Carnival, from good, to very good, and one excellent!, all of those were 7 days though. I have never done a shorter cruise, but again, I cant imagine it being unbearable for two days.

My next cruise is on Norwegian:), and I already know Im going to have a blast! Have never had a bad one yet.

Go and just have fun,relax or whatever you like to do. Just enjoy.:)

My 3 day cruise on CCL was very disappointing. I'm not sure if it was the nature of a short cruise or something systemic to CCL. The entertainment was nearly non-existent, and for the first time ever I had to work hard at finding something I liked to eat. On the upside, we met some nice folks and it was time away from home and work. :)

You can read my CCL review in my signature area

Haven't sailed NCL yet, but we have sailed a few CCL short cruises..

The one we liked least was the 3 dayer..It wasn't a CTN though. We had all the ammenities as the longer cruises, but we also had alot of drunk 20 and 30 yr olds.

Would we do it again ? Probably.. Food was good, cabin was large, crew was great, and it's close to home.

Pat

Heck, if you just want to get away for a few days, go for it. This is liking saying I live In Memphis, I love Las Vegas but want to get away for a few days, what do you think about Tunnica, Mississippi? No, a 2 day cruise will not be the same as a week long or longer cruise. The Glory isn't my favorite ship, but it the price is right and you know what to expect you will have a wonderful time..

We have taken 9 cruises on NCL, and one each on CCL and Princess. Carnival was last Feb. on the Valor. We will not take the Valor again. It was ugly. That is strictly our opinion. Even so, we would take a CCL Cruise to Nowhere in a minute. We might even take another CC cruise out of Miami.

I have never sailed the Valor but the Glory is also ugly or better discription might be gaudy..I still think, for a few days, just to get away, if the price is right I would spend a few days on the ship..

Archived