Delayed disembarkation- how not to treat your guests

beechwood

We are on the Papeete to Auckland cruise departing 7 February. We are travelling independently to Papeete, staying overnight in a hotel and had hoped to board at the time shown when we booked the cruise some three months ago,namely 3pm. We have an 11am checkout from our hotel where we can hopefully leave our suitcases but obviously not valuables like a lap top and expensive, heavy camera equipment (my husband is a keen photographer). Carrying these items around Papeete for 3 to 4 hours was not going to be great but we knew that we could board the ship at around 3pm, have a late lunch and relax.

Two weeks ago, however, we were advised that embarkation time had been changed to 6pm to accommodate the needs of disembarking passengers who had late evening flights from Papeete (presumeably on an Oceania charter). The letter added somewhat optimistically "we hope that you will enjoy this extra time in Papeete".

I queried the change with Oceania's UK office and this was the response;

"I have investigated with the US office and I can confirm that we have delayed embarkation for this sailing to assist those guests that are disembarking and are joining flights from Papeete on the 07th February.

Whilst we understand that this change may have inconvenienced your guests this is a corporate decision that was made in the US and we have been advised that we will not offer any compensation for this change."

So a portion of disembarking passengers gain whilst everyone boarding is inconvenienced (except those on the incomoing Oceania charter). We now have to buy our own lunch in Papeete, carry round our valuables for an extra 3 hours, and somehow board the ship, have dinner and do the emergency drill before sailing at 11pm. A very relaxed way to start the cruise....

Having sailed twice before with Oceania, we had been very impressed but now, particularly as independent travellers, we feel we are being poorly treated. Why don't Oceania accomodate the late departing passengers in a hotel on shore? Their reply accepts that they are inconveniencing embarking guests but apparently they couldn't care less.

We too have just received notification of the late 6 pm boarding for out April 7th cruise and are also independent travelers that have taken the deviation to arrive early. I queried Oceania to ascertain if we could leave our luggage with them since we have to check out of the hotel. All our plans were made with the 3 pm boarding in mind. We too had planned on boarding at 3 pm in a relaxing mode and perhaps heading out to Papeete. This is no long the case since we now have to stay put in out hotel since O will not accommodate the luggage. We cannot "enjoy the extra time in Papeete" as they phrased it in the notification. I am getting the feeling that since O is relatively new to cruising in this neck of the woods they really haven't got their feet wet (no pun intended) and haven't dotted their i's and crossed their t's in planning.

Personally, I'd take a Day Room at my Hotel (Every Papeete Resort offers them at 50% of the daily rate), have a leisurely luncheon and then just lie by the pool until it was time to leave for the ship. You and your "stuff" will be much more comfortable.

sheraton-hotel-tahiti.jpgConsidering all of the money that you are spending on the cruise, you may as well start off on the right foot. :D

Personally, I'd take a Day Room at my Hotel (Every Papeete Resort offers them at 50% of the daily rate), have a leisurely luncheon and then just lie by the pool until it was time to leave for the ship. You and your "stuff" will be much more comfortable.

sheraton-hotel-tahiti.jpgConsidering all of the money that you are spending on the cruise, you may as well start off on the right foot. :D

Really don' have a choice now. Would have been nicer if O picked up the expense of a secure area at or by the ship where you could dump your luggage instead of the passenger incurring the expense.

Unfortunately though, Oceania has annoyed most of the independent travelers that were arriving in Papeete ahead of time so that they could have time to explore before boarding the ship. Those staying on one of the outer islands are very much put out as the ferries between the outer island and Papeete only run at certain times and they have no where to wait with their luggage.

Yes, FDR blew it this time. Telling passengers the only way they will look after their luggage is if they use Oceania's transfers is not the correct answer. They should have a secure lockup for those arriving on earlier flights and those arriving from other French Polynesian Islands as well as those who will have to incur extra costs simply to accommodate passengers disembarking with late flights. There has been several comments made in the roll call which I am sure FDR does not read and passengers are not happy. Other cruise lines look after their passengers both disembarking and embarking, so should Oceania.

Why should I have to pay for a day room? I booked the cruise based on an itinerary that gave a 3pm boarding time. This has only just been changed to 6pm, some 8 weeks before the cruise departure. It's like arriving for a hotel room you reserved at the check-in time of 3pm only to be told that, no, we have changed our minds and you cannot check-in until 6pm.

Also, we are not staying at a resort style hotel (the Intercontinental was fully booked) so our hotel is not particularly somewhere you would want to linger all day. Nor would we want to leave our valuables, including computer and camera equipment, at the hotel after check-out as they would not be insured.

This is our 6th cruise on Oceania. We have sailed three times on the smaller R ships and this will be our 3rd time on the larger O ship. I get the impression that O is not wrapped as tight with sailing in this area as in others. There appears to be a lot confusion as to the air programs and deviations. Information was late in coming as to embarkation and disembarkation as well as how the air was to be handled. We are hoping that we made the right decision in sailing with O especially since all the ports on our cruise are tender ports and with a ship this size this could be problematic. I'm not getting that warm and fuzzy Oceania feeling of service and efficiency. I hope I am proven wrong given the initial missteps by O.

Yes, the sensible thing would be to provide a secure lock-up at the dock, for sure. Then folks could check out of their rooms, then take a cab when they're ready to the port and drop of their luggage, and explore. (Although honestly, there's not much to explore in Papeete apart from the market.)

The Paul Gauguin does this, or at least it did.

It's really simple, ask or pay for a late check out and enjoy the day. It's not big of a deal. When you look for trouble you just make trouble for the rest of the vacation. We're on the Jan 16th Tahiti cruise---we got a late check-out and well be enjoying the lagoon off are room until it's time to go to the ship around 6:00PM---broad the ship, have drink, get dressed for dinner, than off to the Polo for dinner, maybe a drink or two more-watch the sail away from the deck and enjoy the next 11 days.

Rick

Excuse me??? Is a 3 hour delay REALLY going to ruin your vacation?? I'll take that delay any day of the week to return to the South Pacific....

Take a deep breath and adjust to the fabulous time you are going to have

Sorry for butting in but wow....

No, it's not going to ruin my vacation but it's not making a good start to it.

These cruises are not cheap and I think that Oceania is taking advantage of those passengers not using their air/ transfer arrangements. I feel that they have pulled a "fast one" to deal with the timing issues they have from the flights that they have booked.

Not everyone's idea of a good time is lazing around the pool for the day. It would actually be my worst nightmare and seems like a total waste of the day to me.

Also bear in mind that at least one charter does not arrive into Papeete until around 8.30pm so who knows when the emergency drill will be held. I somehow think that the evening may not be as relaxing as some hope!

Excuse me??? Is a 3 hour delay REALLY going to ruin your vacation?? I'll take that delay any day of the week to return to the South Pacific....

Such good advice! When you're handed a lemon, make lemonade. ;)

You took the words out of my mouth

It's travel

Stuff happens

It's FRENCH POLYNESIA -- perhaps the most beautiful place in the world.

Get over it.

I really don't think "O" is pulling a fast one, I think knowing how the flights arrive and depart play an important part of planning. They have a few trips back to back in Tahiti and this seems to be the best why to handle the people departing and going on the next cruise. Also the Emergency Drill doesn't have to take place the first night of the cruise, it can be the next day. Like I said before I'm going to enjoy the hotel property with a late check-out and enjoy the time. Rick

Yes, as Beechwood's link states, the safety drill must be held prior to sail away now. And rightly so.

Ok, so maybe the drill is at 9, or even 10 PM. I'm always so excited the first day aboard I don't get to sleep until well after midnight anyway, so that's no big deal for me. If some people are arriving late, maybe O will hold a second drill for those few folks - they have in the past for people who were no-shows for the required one. Anyway all that's required of you is showing up in your appointed location, relaxing and meeting/visiting with people around you, listening to the <10 minute required presentation, and then going about your way. What's so stressful about that?

After all, as several others have said - you are in the South Pacific on vacation aboard a beautiful ship. As my dad, an old Wyoming cowboy, used to say, "would you complain if they hung you with a new rope?"

Hi guys, this discussion started a couple weeks ago when the news came out about the 600 pm boarding. As previously stated, once we get on board, we have nowhere to go and nothing to do for a month, so enjoy the bedlam of Februaryth at 600 pm, as we'll have plenty of time to chill out afterwords. While no one wants to pay extra, we are in Tahiti after all, so if you really want to complain with all the problems in the world, here 25 cents, call someone who cares!

Oceania should deal with all the bags and people floating around the island with nowhere to go while they wait for boarding, but they will at some point between now and then, that's what service companies do. I'll just pay for the day room at the hotel, put on some extra sun lotion, and show up for our Gilligan Island world tour. Chill out guys, its a cruise to nowhere, it's not like we're going to the office.

:)

You can get a driver and tour the Island with your computer, etc with you and your luggage in the trunk. Go online and find a driver there..when we were there there were several..also, if you are there ahead of time, go to the Tourism Office..right in the center of town near the dock and line up a driver for that time. They have names and numbers of drivers..they got us one.

Your cruise should be wonderful..enjoy it..it will all work out OK..

Sherry

There have been many good suggestions on what one can do, but the root and truth of the problem is that O has caused the situation. That is not acceptable for a 5* line, excuses can be made but there should be no need. That is what is so disappointing and upsetting they do not seem to care. Why should paying passengers have to deal with this when it is the cruise lines fault.

Our last cruise with O was as stated likely our last. We were totally frustrated by O's late dockings and early departures, we felt short changed and rushed to tour ports we may never return to.

We are now on this sailing and honest to goodness I don't get what the problem is with everyone.

1. Per every single cruise line contract of carriage...they can change itineraries at any given time for any given reason.

Just because it said boarding at 3pm, doesnt mean that you WILL board.

That is one of the "joys" of cruising. You need to read the fine print

At least Oceania had the courtesy to let you know in advance.

2. When you choose independent travel that is what it is. INDEPENDENT.

All of the pros and cons that go along with it.

You booked a cruise. You didn't book anything else.

3. If paying for lunch is going to break the bank, go to the famous Papeete Market. Pick up some fresh fruit to snack on. Go to the upper level, there are a few restaurants up there that locals eat at. CHEAP and delcious.

4. Travel is not an exact science, in fact you need to be able to switch from Plan B all the way down to Plan Z within minutes.

If you need the best chance of an exact science and hand holding then you have to PAY money for that. That means you pay for day room, you pay for Oceania transfers,

We are now on this sailing and honest to goodness I don't get what the problem is with everyone.

If you need the best chance of an exact science and hand holding then you have to PAY money for that. That means you pay for day room, you pay for Oceania transfers,

My understanding was that O is a premium line and as such it's passengers have paid a premium to cruise on it.

How is it you do not care if you are treated like steerage by the line?

They have made a decision based on cost to inconvenience boarding passengers because they booked late flights for those disembarking and don't want to deal with it.

Yes they can do whatever they want but is that what a quality line does and should passengers expect this from it?

How is it they will not accept the luggage, taking it only expedites the late boarding?

Archived