Carnival Enchantment?

shipgeeks

We were aboard Enchantment post-refurb (Dec. 15 cruise); intended to write a review, but will post some thoughts here instead of assigning ratings.

Two days before departure, we received emails stating that she would be delayed arriving in Baltimore, so boarding would take place somewhat later. As is always the case, RC handled everything very well, taking good care of early, late and in-between arrivals, and providing food, muster drill, baggage handling, etc. in a timely fashion. We did, in fact, make up the lost time, arriving at our first port as scheduled.

As we have come to expect on Enchantment (this was our fourth cruise on her), the crew are outstanding. In particular, we were very impressed with cabin steward Floyd, waiter Marvin, assistant waiter Murat, and DJ Lucian. Sincere thanks to all of them, and many others, for excellent service.

The food in MDR was good to excellent. The addition of escargot and shrimp cocktail to the menu every night was welcome. Quality of food in WJ was better overall, but bacon is still tasteless. However, I miss the afternoon WJ snack time. No more scones and bread pudding, nor taco bar. Park Cafe is now the afternoon food site, and it felt like a McDonald's. The sanctuary that was Solarium is now an eatery, with every table wobbling.

The amount of work done in two weeks in drydock was very impressive, especially knowing that the ship's crew did a fair bit of the labor. However, the addition of a movie screen on pool deck was, to me, a large negative. We avoided this area after the first day, finding non-stop sports, cruise director talks, music videos, and movies, overwhelmingly loud. Even sitting in VC, day or night, to watch the sea and the ship, has become eye pollution. And the music inside seems much louder and more discordant, too.

Centrum was redone. It felt like a friend got plastic surgery, even though she was already beautiful, and ended up with a bad nose job. Picture this: tan and maroon swirls, maroon and tan swirls, multiple colors of marble, black and silver upholstery, orange neon, and strange sculptures. Fun Ship interior, anyone? Removal of the stainless steel mobile made the balconies look dreary.

We have a new Diamond Lounge. Private location, off the beaten track, but no view of interior or ocean, just ceiling. However, staff were top-notch.

There were a number of children aboard. Happily, they were all well-behaved.

I hope RC doesn't "revitalize" Grandeur, which will be our next Baltimore ship when Enchantment heads to Florida. Garish and noisy are not elements we look for on a ship.

Do you know what was done to Grandeur? Movie screen on pool deck?

Grandeur enchancements:

Centrum aerial entertainment

R Bar

Viking Crown Lounge

Nightclub

Park Café

Chef’s Table

Chops Grille

Giovanni’s Table

Izumi Asian Cuisine

Digital Signage

Pervasive Wi-Fi

Flat-screen TVs

iPad in staterooms

New staterooms

Updated staterooms

New Family Suite

Concierge Club

Diamond Club

Nursery

I agree. When I cruised the Grandeur in October, the revitalization was a total fail in regards to the Centrum. I preferred the original design. The new design of the centrum has aged the ship and the colors are just boring and dull! I thought that each ship should have it's own character and I guess they used the same awful carpets and lightings for the refurb on the enchantment as well. Sigh! Also the grandeur had an awful sewage smell by the Centrum area.....hopefully the smell is gone by now. I personally feel like Royal should have sold all of their 6 Vision class ships and built 3 newer ones around the same size for the amount of money spent refurbishing them.

But not streched.........The main stairs/foyer of the Enchment was just beautiful, what did they do to that area?

I respectfully disagree, the new Centrum is MUCH more elegant than that old sterile multi level marble. and the lack of levels now make sit a far ,more usable space.

Archived