''Naughty Room"

Once on the Jewel, departing from Tampa (and is known as being over the top strict)

I realized my large bag was missing, since the small one had been delivered hours before.

I could not get an answer from anyone I asked, so I went down there on my own. The line

was already forming down the hallway and up the staircase by then. Waiting in line,

I missed one of my favorite things I look forward to....the sailway. Now, I could have left

the line and came back later, but I knew it was just going to get worse.

The nafarious contraband in my luggage? Wire hangers. :rolleyes: Once they saw

them clearly on the xray image, they let me take the bag unopened. No apologies except

a "this was due to the ground crew, not us".

Sheez....from now on I take plastic hangers for extras.

"NO WIRE HANGERS...EVER!!!" -Lucile LeSueur-:D

Once on the Jewel, departing from Tampa (and is known as being over the top strict)

I realized my large bag was missing, since the small one had been delivered hours before.

I could not get an answer from anyone I asked, so I went down there on my own. The line

was already forming down the hallway and up the staircase by then. Waiting in line,

I missed one of my favorite things I look forward to....the sailway. Now, I could have left

the line and came back later, but I knew it was just going to get worse.

them clearly on the xray image, they let me take the bag unopened. No apologies except

Sheez....from now on I take plastic hangers for extras.

I have posted this before on other 'Naughty Room' threads - so apologies for the repeat....

On Oasis in April 2010 I too had to go to the Naughty Room for my case, waited in line and then had my case opened in front of me where they confiscated.....

My Plastic-Covered Hair Rollers :eek:

I was told that the very thin wire inside them could be used as a weapon :eek:

And No - no apology...

I have NEVER taken those Bad Boys on another cruise with me.....:o

Re no wire hangers...

You know how it happens, one wire hanger gets left in a wardrobe and before you know it there are dozens. They are simply trying to stop the ship being overrun with wire hangers - simples! :rolleyes:

As we disembarked the ship there was a table set up with a number of travel irons waiting to be claimed...at least I wasn't the only one with a couple of creases and wrinkles....in my clothes of course:D

We were just on the Brilliance a few weeks ago and one of our suitcases did not show up. We had a message on our phone that it was in the naughty room on deck 2. After muster we went down to deck 2 and there was quite a line! It moved quickly but yes, they make you heft your suitcase and open it up. I was prepared to be treated like a criminal but our guy was hilarious, teasing the entire time we were with him. He said we had an iron when really we had a clothes steamer and my DD 's flat iron. He joked that there was no way RCI would take away 2000 women's flat irons in the Caribbean humidity! He was so charming! We pulled out the steamer (I was hoping the sodas leftover from our precruise time in OSJ wouldn't roll out and get us in more trouble! That's what I originally thought they nabbed us for!) and he told us it was fine! But we had to lug the suitcase back to our room!

On the other hand, there was a man next to us who was hot! He was so offended that he was made to go to deck 2 to prove he had nothing to hide in his suitcase and then had to lug his own suitcase back to the room! He was giving the poor employee so much grief! The guy with him said he had quite a few drinks already so was feeling a bit surly!

Two very different experiences...I assume ours was because of our outlook on the whole situation. It was actually fun having to go to the naughty room and we met one of our favorite RCI employees who we saw over and over that cruise!

Lauri

My husband recently had to go down. They had detained our garment bag that had all our nice, dinner clothes in it. We could not get info from anyone either about why our bag had been detained. Our cabin steward thought we had a clothes iron that would have caused our bag to be held, but we knew we had not brought an iron (just a curling iron which was not the problem). My husband, who cheerfully leaves all vacation planning and most of the packing to me, always carries a pocket knife. He usually packs it himself in the luggage he knows we will check at the airport. Since we have only been on one cruise which was two years ago, he forgot that cruise lines do not allow knives - he just wasn't thinking when he packed it. That is the item they detained.

We got a message on our answering machine late in the evening (not sure when the message was left, but we didn't check the message until late in the evening when we finally returned to our room - it was our first day, and we had lots to do and a new ship to explore). So he went down to deck 1, I believe, and was not gone long. He said they were nice about it and gave him a ticket about where to pick it up after the cruise.

They did not confiscate the one small rum runner we brought (in a different suitcase). We were not trying to save money (I had plenty of the Lava Flows), but my husband prefers a certain top shelf whiskey, and he wanted to share a drink with his family member who is also a whiskey/scotch enthusiast. ;)

And he did pick up the knife after the cruise b/c it was his favorite. He had to go to a bldg across from where we disembarked. He was not gone long for that either.

My daughter, law enforcement agent, forgot her handcuffs were in her handbag when boarding in Port Canaveral, but this was going through security. She too had to leave them (even with credentials - they said they had to check them in). Port Canaveral was very small and easy to pick up her cuffs on the way out. The thing is just don't forget to stop.

Adaptor plug - Euro or US style. And nowhere could I find anyone with a three pin uk style one to borrow.

Wasn't bothered by mobile phone, lap top or any of that but I couldn't use my GHDs (hair straighteners). I spent the first three sea days with humidity hair like Monica on that episode of friends...

Re no wire hangers...

You know how it happens, one wire hanger gets left in a wardrobe and before you know it there are dozens. They are simply trying to stop the ship being overrun with wire hangers - simples! :rolleyes:

How are we suppose to roast hotdogs and marshmallows on the balcony with out wire hangers? :D

Linda I so like your gullibility, your Daughter forgot to remove her Handcuffs :D, like she would want to tell her MUM. She was on Holiday private time. Balcony Club Membership. But as a parent I'm on your side

Great stories

Wondering if it's too much of a risk to bring my jars of cherries for my balcony drinks?

Will they think it might be booze on the scanner?

Carnival let us get away with 3small bottles of rum.

We put them in the bag with all the key rings and lighters.hoping they would assume they take home gifts.

They put a large masking tape on the case and wrote a 3 on it.?

As if to say they know about the three bottles ;)

Ok... I'll give you wire hangars. Didn't know they were a problem. But if you pack a knife, iron, or any liquid, and get called to the naughty room (I've been there for all 3), don't get angry at the crew. They are simply doing their job. It's clear that these are "questionable" items. If you choose to bring them on board, then it's your call. We always pack water. If you take it as a carry-on, no problem. You open up your bag, show the security person, move on. If you choose to send with luggage, you run the risk. Exactly who should carry it to your room for you? It's a vacation people... enjoy it. Don't miss sailaway to get your stuff, just go after. If you wait a bit the line gets shorter. I have also had some great laughs in the naughty room. You meet some fun people and the crew is usually fun to banter with too. But an apology? Nah... I'm the one who mispacked.

Ok... I'll give you wire hangars. Didn't know they were a problem. But if you pack a knife, iron, or any liquid, and get called to the naughty room (I've been there for all 3), don't get angry at the crew. They are simply doing their job. It's clear that these are "questionable" items. If you choose to bring them on board, then it's your call. We always pack water. If you take it as a carry-on, no problem. You open up your bag, show the security person, move on. If you choose to send with luggage, you run the risk. Exactly who should carry it to your room for you? It's a vacation people... enjoy it. Don't miss sailaway to get your stuff, just go after. If you wait a bit the line gets shorter. I have also had some great laughs in the naughty room. You meet some fun people and the crew is usually fun to banter with too. But an apology? Nah... I'm the one who mispacked.

Hahh...funny to see this old thread dragged out of the archives. :)

Anyway, yeah....I was the "wire hanger" felon. :eek: From then on, I still only take

plastic hangers with us. ;)

Re no wire hangers...

I can see the POV of the cruise line not to be overrun with hangers. However, I still took some this time because I read over and over in these threads that the cruise lines were rather stingy with how many they provide. That certainly turned out to be the case and I am glad I took them.

Are they afraid if they provide enough or too many, people will take home? Honestly when I am packing to go home, the last thing I will want to make room for are hangers. I constantly think, "what can I leave behind?" Hangers would be at the top of that list.

~Bob~

As we disembarked the ship there was a table set up with a number of travel irons waiting to be claimed...at least I wasn't the only one with a couple of creases and wrinkles....in my clothes of course:D

I had the same concerns. Our last cruise before this year was back in '91 and we took a mini steamer. Greatest thing but now they are illegal also.

All my clothes this time were ok except for a few shirts with wrinkles which I sent to have them pressed. 6 shirts, same day, $13. Amazing. No more stressing about that! Next time I may not even iron my shirts at all before I go.

~Bob~

If you need extra hangers just ask your cabin steward for them instead of bringing wire or plastic ones in your luggage. They will provide them if asked as typically they have a good supply as most passengers leave in the closet the one they received with their laundry/dry cleaning as well as many brought onboard and these are saved by the service staff to meet this type of request.:D

The laundry department collects all the wire hangers that people leave behind. Maybe they are tryimg to know who has them so they will know where to look after passengers leave at the end

It is possible that some hangers do get reused by the laundry sector but we've have always been able to get additional hangers from our cabin steward when we've needed some and these have been the wire type used for laundry/dry cleaning orders.

I believe it is the cabin steward's respondsibilty to returns the left wire hangers to the laundry/dry cleaning dept. since they are also the ones who provides the laundry/dry cleaning pick up and return service. They typically keep some in their service area for such requests.

I had to go to the naughty room because I had Diet Coke in my checked bag :rolleyes: It didn't take too long, and no, I didn't get any sort of apology. The guys working down there were courteous enough, but a bit grumpy - I supposed that's due to being snapped at by a bunch of passengers angry at having their hot rollers and wire hangers taken away :p

The thing that irritated me though, was the note that was sent to my cabin. It stated something like "we found alcohol in your bag", like it was a fact. Um, no you didn't find alcohol because there WASN'T any and I don't appreciate the accusation :mad:

Just home from a five day out of Tampa on the Jewel.

Three of us girlfriends got called to the naughty room. We all had checked our carryon's that had soda and water in them. The security lady "warden" as we called her, told us that the rules had changed two years ago and that they were no longer allowing anything to be brought along. She barely checked the bags (only the top one or two bottles) and let us thru. She said it was the difference in where you sail from and how picky the port authorities are.

Don't believe any of that as two of the other girlfriends had their soda and water in the carryon that they kept with them when boarding. No one looked at the bags or even made any comments as to what they had in them.

Guess next time we will keep it with us. Just 6 water and 6 caffeine free diet coke.

The ironic part is that this is the first time in 7 cruise that I DIDN"t smuggle anything on and the first time to the naughtly room. Tried to take a picture to share with everyone, but I wasn't allowed!!!

However, they didn't notice what I carried back on in Grand Caymen!!!

I was once thoroughly searched at the Vancouver airport for having "little pieces of metal" in my purse. Gee, I guess women don't carry KEYS in Canada!

We had our first time to visit the "naughty room" a couple of weeks ago on the Liberty of the Seas. One piece of luggage was missing for a long time - we asked our cabin steward to check on it since 2 pieces of luggage were delivered. He checked and said that it was being held down on deck 1.

We go down there and there it was - it had a label on it "Alcohol"........well neither my wife or I drink..........so what could it be???? I had packed a small bottle of maple syrup for the Meet & Mingle gift exchange - could that be it??? Yup - a 6 oz. glass bottle in the shape of a maple leaf was the culprit. The bottle was unopened and clearly marked as "Pure Maple Syrup". Unfortunately not one of the security team ever heard of maple syrup - so I had to explain that it was a liquid that you put over pancakes or waffles..........they still didn't understand. After awhile they finally nodded that I could take my suitcase and maple syrup with me back to the cabin.

So, my advise is not to bring anything "liquid" in your luggage on board - no matter how sweet it might be!!!!!!

Archived