Example why insurance

RetiredRich

We were booked with trip insurance and counting the days for a Dawn cruise just before Thanksgiving. This would have been our 10th cruise...most with NCL. About 2 weeks before cruise date I lifted something too heavy and ended up with an abdominal hernia. My doctor said it was too serious and could be deadly so I was scheduled for surgery the day after Thanksgiving. Not wanting to get caught in Belieze with my gut hanging out we canceled. I wanted to just reschedule but NCL wouldn't let me and returned about $700 of our with balcony booking. I guess it was too close to the cruise date. We had booked with NCL and their insurance. The insurance took a lot of paper work...including confirmation from the doctor but we got the rest of the money back from them. I still can't lift anything heavy so we are considering our next cruise. You can be sure it will be with insurance.

We were booked with trip insurance and counting the days for a Dawn cruise just before Thanksgiving. This would have been our 10th cruise...most with NCL. About 2 weeks before cruise date I lifted something too heavy and ended up with an abdominal hernia. My doctor said it was too serious and could be deadly so I was scheduled for surgery the day after Thanksgiving. Not wanting to get caught in Belieze with my gut hanging out we canceled. I wanted to just reschedule but NCL wouldn't let me and returned about $700 of our with balcony booking. I guess it was too close to the cruise date. We had booked with NCL and their insurance. The insurance took a lot of paper work...including confirmation from the doctor but we got the rest of the money back from them. I still can't lift anything heavy so we are considering our next cruise. You can be sure it will be with insurance.

Insurance is one of those things that you only need when you need it (and I always get it). Hope you are back on the high seas in no time!

We got it and did not need it, but almost really did.

Just back from the Gem 12/22 two weeks before DW was told she had a tumor and needed testing with possible hysterectomy. Tests came back clean and they will do the operation in a week, Dr said have a great cruise we will take care of this when your back.

He said if the test came back bad, he would be doing the surgery right then.

For a $6000 trip we paid $158 and could have got it for about $100 with some lower coverage.

try insuremytrip.

Thanks for the story.

In addition to the cost of the cruise, emergency medical and evacuation expenses can run into the tens of thousands of dollars.

It is a good idea to carry insurance for any financial risk that you can't afford to pay out of pocket.

We have now done 40 cruises (plus multiple land based trips). We always have medical and evacuation insurance (we buy an annual policy) to cover our travels. Only a few times have we taken comprehensive travel insurance, generally if there was an ailing relative or the like before final payment. No claims so far (knock on wood).

We could have afforded to eat the cost of the trips whenever we declined comprehensive insurance, but fortunately we did not have to. Had we fully insured each and every one of those prior trips, we would have sent a lot more money to the travel insurance company...so at this point we are way ahead and would probably still be ahead if we have to cancel or interrupt one at some point.

Anybody who can not afford to cancel or interrupt or deal with other loss (financially or emotionally) should buy comprehensive insurance. Though we can afford to lose the cost of the trip or buy tickets home, it is medical or evacuation costs that frighten me...so we always insure against those.

I am glad the insurance came through for you. Enjoy your delayed trip.

Good thing we did...it was the basic insurance from NCL. We had boarded POA, and was on her for about an hour when my travel companion (sister-Best Friend) became very ill and was transported to the hospital by ambulance where she stayed for 5 days. I stayed with her for 2 nights at the hospital because I could not find a hotel, but by Monday I found one...insurance paid up to $100 a day for hotel, and so much for eats, cab, etc. Didn't take long for reimbursement either. Received all of our cruise $ back, plus the added expenses. We decided not to change our air arrangements and went home on our scheduled day, as that would have incurred an added expense for us being we didn't book air thru NCL. I swear, I will never travel without insurnace...ever.....

~L~

Travel insurance -dont leave home without it. As the saying goes.

We had to cancel the night before a cruise when our DD had a serious accident and got every dollar back within three weeks.

On a land trip, we had a travel companion who had to be evaced from central america to Houston and the bill was roughly $10,000. Fortunately they had insurance.

It only takes one big evac bill to wipe put a lifetime of money you saved on those premiums.

We got it and did not need it, but almost really did.

Just back from the Gem 12/22 two weeks before DW was told she had a tumor and needed testing with possible hysterectomy. Tests came back clean and they will do the operation in a week, Dr said have a great cruise we will take care of this when your back.

He said if the test came back bad, he would be doing the surgery right then.

For a $6000 trip we paid $158 and could have got it for about $100 with some lower coverage.

try insuremytrip.

Yes- that is a great site. I also just got insurance for the 4 of us for a trip totaling $10,000 that cost us $240.00. Much cheaper than the TA and better coverage!

I bought insurance on March 20, 2012 to cover our trip to Alaska. On April 5, 2012 I was diagnosed with congestive heart failure, my heart had never been a problem before ( too many bouts of pneumonia in a short time). I sent in the paper work they asked for and received a check from Travelguard for the full amount including airfare. Travel insurance just makes sense no matter how od you are, stuff happens.

Would a standard policy through NCL be fine? We don't have any illnesses or conditions to be concerned with. Thanks!

Probably, but you would pay more for the policy. www.insuremytrip.com allows you to quickly shop multiple third party policies. You fill in your info on the home page (age and number of travelers, cost of trip, destination, etc.) to see your results. The rule of thumb that I've read is that travel insurance should cost no more than 10% of your non-reimbursable trip costs unless you have special circumstances. Most companies offer a pre-existing condition waiver if you buy the policy within a specific timeframe of making your initial payment.

Would a standard policy through NCL be fine? We don't have any illnesses or conditions to be concerned with. Thanks!

Did you independently book nonrefundable flights? Or prepay a hotel independently? I doubt NCL would cover the stuff you book independently, including flight delays:eek:. So I buy independent insurance. I like to compare on squaremouth.com

Did you independently book nonrefundable flights? Or prepay a hotel independently? I doubt NCL would cover the stuff you book independently, including flight delays:eek:. So I buy independent insurance. I like to compare on squaremouth.com

There is no doubt about it, they won't cover independently booked travel (I suppose one could get NCL's insurance for the cruise portion and then a third party insurance for the rest but I would personally prefer to have just one policy).

OP - Sorry you had medical problems that made you cancel your cruise on the Dawn. Glad to hear you had insurance for reimbursement. Hope you are feeling better soon and able to go on another cruise. Thank you for posting your situation and bringing the importance of trip insurance to light.

Thanks for the info. I haven't purchased any yet, so I'll look for an independent insurer. OP, glad everything worked out for you!

Holly, if you are booking your cruise through a TA, ask them. My TA use one particular company all the time and gets some really good rates. If fact he is working on a cruise for me now.

Holly, if you are booking your cruise through a TA, ask them. My TA use one particular company all the time and gets some really good rates. If fact he is working on a cruise for me now.

Thanks, I was planning on just booking with NCL. It's my first cruise, and it's a bit overwhelming to plan. I thought it might be easier to book directly through NCL.

I totally agree one hundred percent, do not leave home without. I booked my last cruise through a major online TA you are then allowed to buy the insurance through them. It was the least I ever spent on insurance & the one of the best plans. We almost had to cancel the last cruise because DH had a problem with his carotid artery, but we made it & he was operated on last month.

Archived