Layover at Charles De Gaulle, can I leave the airport?

cwistyred

Good Evening Everyone,

We are going on a cruise from Rome in April. On the trip to Rome we have a 5 1/2 hour stop at CDG. I saw a website that stated that that was enough time to take the Metro to at least spend two hours in Paris, around the Notre Dame area. We have connecting flights from 2E to 2F from Delta to Air France. Has anyone tried this? I have not been to Paris nor this airport so I am not sure if I am crazy even thinking about this. I am a terrible flyer and would really enjoy doing something other than sitting in the terminal for several hours.

Thanks for any advice!

For a flight from CDG to the US you should be at the airport 2 1/2 - 3 hours before your flight. The RER trains will take about 35 - 40 min (each way) between the airport and Paris. So you can do the math. We would recommend staying at the airport.

Hank

Just in case I didn't make this clear, which I am sure I didn't, we are not heading back to the US from this stop. We stop at CDG from the US, our long flight from Seattle. Our next flight is on to Rome, it this makes any difference at all. Probably not huh?

No, it doesn't make a difference.

It could take you 30 minutes or more to deplane. (Planes often park on the tarmac and bus passengers to the terminal.)

The RER trains or a taxi take about 30-45 minutes each way.

You'll have to go through security again once you return to the airport, and get to your gate -- allow another half hour minimum. The airport is huge, crowded and can be confusing.

You should plan to be at your gate about an hour before take-off.

So adding up all that time, I'm up to 3.5 hours, and being the cautious type I am, I'd probably throw in an extra half hour in case anything goes wrong. Do you really want to go through all that hassle for a possible best-case 1.5 to 2 hours in Paris? And what would you do with any carry-on luggage?

BTW, weren't you on the Cruise Air boards looking for flights with shorter layovers a few days ago, and happy to get this one?

Just not worth the risk of something going wrong and missing a flight. It is not a quick hop into Paris. I am one who will usually take the adventure but figured all I would get here for my risk was a "I was there" picture. best recommendation is bring a good book or pillow.

Absolutely NOT enough time. Please do not try to leave the airport.

As dull as most of CDG is (a disgrace to the country, really), it is better to rough it. Perhaps spend 25 or 30 Euro and spend a few hours in one of the pay-per-visit lounges (or, if you have a Diners Club card, there are several lounges you can use for free) and freshen up with a nice long shower and fresh clothes. You feel like a new person after that.

:-)

Cruisemom42 - yes I was looking for shorter layovers as I am a very nervous flyer. This was the best schedule I could get with my miles, so I was trying to make the best out of it by seeing if there was a way to enjoy Paris for a few moments to make the flying more bearable. To sit in a airport for five or more hours is going to require more tranquilizers than I like to take, but I have no choice it seems. The anticipation of getting on the plane is sometimes worse than being on the plane.

Cruisemom42 - yes I was looking for shorter layovers as I am a very nervous flyer. This was the best schedule I could get with my miles, so I was trying to make the best out of it by seeing if there was a way to enjoy Paris for a few moments to make the flying more bearable. To sit in a airport for five or more hours is going to require more tranquilizers than I like to take, but I have no choice it seems. The anticipation of getting on the plane is sometimes worse than being on the plane.

You will be fine.:)

There's great shopping in Terminal 2 at the airport. You can peruse some of the high-end designer's boutiques. My kids joke that it's like being in the ground floor of Galleries Lafayette.

Yes, and you can get a light meal or a macaroon fix at a branch of the famous Laduree, or a decent French baguette sandwich at a branch of Paul. Both are near the shopping area in Terminal 2. Seems I've spent a lot of time there in the last couple of years, lol.

Our problem was that with 7 hours to spare we wanted more than a light meal and couldn't really find a good spot.

Ah, I see. I prefer to eat lightly and more often when I'm traveling, rather than large meals. I find it helps (along with staying hydrated) to lessen my jet lag.

To say Paris airport is confusing is an understatement .......

And when we asked directions to our next gate we were told a 5-10 minute walk ....... no way was it 10 minute walk ! Between the distance and the crowds all walking willy-nilly (meaning there was no left and right side of the road) it took a lot longer than that. I had one small roller carryon and it was a pain with the crowds.

We joke now that Paris "time" is "faster" time ! ;)

Ah, I see. I prefer to eat lightly and more often when I'm traveling, rather than large meals. I find it helps (along with staying hydrated) to lessen my jet lag.

Normally us too. We were looking for something to pass the time.

Archived