Flying in same day and luggage tags

potchak

So if you are flying in the same day as the cruise, do you put your princess luggage tags on your bags before you leave? I leave on Sunday and am curious if I should be putting them on here or in the FLL airport?

I would not be flying in the day the ship sails, because I think that's taking a chance of possibly missing the ship because the airline messed up and didn't get me there in time.

But if I were, I would print extra luggage tags and attach one set, strengthened with package sealing tape, to my checked bag(s), and keep the spares in my carry-on.

If, heaven forbid, your bags don't arrive with you in the port city, the airline would know where you will be going, and can arrange with the cruise line to get you luggage to you at the first possible port.

Additionally, I would type up an itinerary and place in in an outside pocket of each checked bag, and make sure to include my cell phone number.

I would not be flying in the day the ship sails, because I think that's taking a chance of possibly missing the ship because the airline messed up and didn't get me there in time.

But if I were, I would print extra luggage tags and attach one set, strengthened with package sealing tape, to my checked bag(s), and keep the spares in my carry-on.

If, heaven forbid, your bags don't arrive with you in the port city, the airline would know where you will be going, and can arrange with the cruise line to get you luggage to you at the first possible port.

Additionally, I would type up an itinerary and place in in an outside pocket of each checked bag, and make sure to include my cell phone number.

This is exactly what I would do since it makes it possible for your luggage to be forwarded if something were to happen.

I put a copy of my itineary in an outside pocket and keep the luggage tags with me. I then put them on using zip ties when I get to the airport. I have had no problems flying in the same day of the cruise especially to FLL. Of course it all depends on the season and your point of origin as to whether to fly in a day early. Have a great trip. From Dunham it shouldn't be a problem as it is a very short flight as is mine to FLL.

Your concern seems to be that the tags you might put on at home, might just disappear as a result of airline handing. In the good old days, those tags were sturdy. Nowadays most of us use whatever paper in in our printer and it really truly get destroyed in transit.

Put them on and hope they make it OK! Also, be like a good scout and Be Prepared! Print out a second set to put on, just in case. It's only a few pieces of paper to let your mind rest a bit easier.

Jim

If I were flying in the same day (which I wouldn't but understand the need to), I'd absolutely, positively put them on before leaving home. Put clear package tape on both sides first after folding and attach them with a twist-tie. Heck, I sometimes put two on the bag, one on each handle. It's so easy to do this as you can print as many as you want. Bring extras in case one of them is missing.

Absoultely put them on before you leave home. Should the airline happen to separate you from your bags, if they have the cruise tag on them there is a chance they might make it to the ship. If you wait to put them on after landing and the bags don't arrive with you, then what will you do? The airline won't know you are going on a cruise.

Can everyone please stop with the lecturing about flying in a day or 2 before a cruise. It is just not always possible, especially if you are still working and vacation days are at a premium or have child care, elder care or pet care issues. Not all of us are retired with unlimited funds. :( We have been on 22 cruises and have flown the same day on 20 of them and have never even come close to missing the ship. This includes flights to AK and Europe. For only 2 cruises have been lucky enought to be able to drive to the port.

Absoultely put them on before you leave home. Should the airline happen to separate you from your bags, if they have the cruise tag on them there is a chance they might make it to the ship. If you wait to put them on after landing and the bags don't arrive with you, then what will you do? The airline won't know you are going on a cruise.

Can everyone please stop with the lecturing about flying in a day or 2 before a cruise. It is just not always possible, especially if you are still working and vacation days are at a premium or have child care, elder care or pet care issues. Not all of us are retired with unlimited funds. :( We have been on 22 cruises and have flown the same day on 20 of them and have never even come close to missing the ship. This includes flights to AK and Europe. For only 2 cruises have been lucky enought to be able to drive to the port.

Thank you- I posted a question the other day and felt slammed because I wasn't going a day earlier- to the point I called and tried to change flights. I completely see why people would go early if they can and I think that is great- I am just lucky I am going!!!!!! Thank you for easing some of the anxiety based on your experience!

The airline should know you're going on a cruise when you report that your luggage did not make it. We had a delayed flight once with a quick connection in Tampa. Our luggage did not make it. The airline's luggage rep took care to find out the info she needed to make sure our bags were delivered to our hotel during the night. Fortunately they were there when we woke up.

The airline should know you're going on a cruise when you report that your luggage did not make it. We had a delayed flight once with a quick connection in Tampa. Our luggage did not make it. The airline's luggage rep took care to find out the info she needed to make sure our bags were delivered to our hotel during the night. Fortunately they were there when we woke up.
Why leave it to chance or an airline employee to search through all the black (or blue) bags to find yours? It's so easy to print out a tag and stick it on. It'll make the airline's job of finding it that much easier. Anything you can do to make it easier means it'll be identified and get to you faster.

If I were flying in the same day (which I wouldn't but understand the need to), I'd absolutely, positively put them on before leaving home. Put clear package tape on both sides first after folding and attach them with a twist-tie. Heck, I sometimes put two on the bag, one on each handle. It's so easy to do this as you can print as many as you want. Bring extras in case one of them is missing.

I agree with Pam.

Princess even advises to place them on your bags before leaving home as well.

Mike:)

So what happened to putting a name tag on each piece of luggage to ID who it belongs to. I have only had luggage late one time and it beat us home from the airport. Being cautious is good but each of us have to travel our own way.

They never missed a flight because they are from a warm climate.Eastern Canada is being hit by 50 to 75 cm of snow tonight.Newfoundland, Impossible,the chance of catching a flight in one day!!!2.5cm =1inch.That comment is funny from a country with bad weather.

good point.

We had often thought we will route via warmer climates to ensure no weather issues, oh were we ever wrong! Of course flights come from all over and then they carry on to our destination. Just last trip we were trying to connect in Dallas with a flight but because it was coming from Orlando that was getting hit with a bad wind storm we were delayed.

Also we have had to be deiced twice in Atlanta, and for me in Canada never expected that. I have learned.... silly me

Vickie

heck the airlines keep removing our little zipper pulls so i don't trust them with our cruiseship luggage tags
So what if they remove or tear off the tags? It's not a big deal if you've brought extras. I've never had any airline remove or tear a cruise line luggage tag.

So what if they remove or tear off the tags? It's not a big deal if you've brought extras. I've never had any airline remove or tear a cruise line luggage tag.

yes i could do that, but i wait till I arrive to put the luggage tags on....

guess my point was more they keep breaking my zipper pulls somehow - and I can't easily fix that

Your concern seems to be that the tags you might put on at home, might just disappear as a result of airline handing. In the good old days, those tags were sturdy. Nowadays most of us use whatever paper in in our printer and it really truly get destroyed in transit.

As much as I dislike the print-and-fold-it-yourself luggage tags, once the luggage gets to the cabin, I find it harder to remove the computer printed tags than the old style ones Princess used to mail to us. (This assumes they are folded per the directions on the 81/2 x 11 sheet of paper.)

The reason many of us are concerned whenever we see someone mentioning flying in the day of one's cruise is that we have seen many posts (yes, many) from people who have missed their cruise. Especially if they were flying from a destination that's affected by weather and/or to a destination that's affected by weather.

That happened on the cruise we were on just two years ago. About 200 passengers who were about to go on the Golden were scheduled to fly from Heathrow airport to LAX. A freak snowstorm closed down Heathrow. By the time they finally reached Los Angeles, they were delayed because we were having a record number of days straight of rain (and if you've ever driven here during a rainstorm, you know what that does to traffic conditions). The captain even held up the sailing by over four hours, but the Brits never made it. Anyone from that country who got on board flew out a few days before that and spent time here in LA or in your city, Las Vegas (one couple we talked to made their way to Paris and left from there -- again, a few days early).

We have always made our way to our embarkation city at least a day ahead, unless we're leaving from the Port of LA, which is an hour's drive (and a few weeks ago, we scheduled our pick up for 10am to pad in time there). We'll take off extra time and schedule our cruise so that our daughter doesn't miss any school. Why risk missing even a day of a cruise? We don't take a vacation every year so we're not going to risk it.

Just because you haven't had any near misses, why rag on those of us who don't want to see anyone else miss their cruise?

Archived