Ultimate Cruise Snob Stories

nhcruiser

Ok - two stories. Two years ago we were in the Elite Lounge at Port Everglades waiting for them to allow us through to check-in. Most of the seats were taken and folks were quietly chatting amongst themselves and listening to the jokes being told by the charming gentleman in charge of the area. As he prepared to allow us through a man came charging though the space, his wife following several paces behind, yelling "Let us through, let us through! I am super Elite!" He was a hot mess, toupee akimbo, and a total boor! He shoved his way through and was the first to the check-in area. We saw them several times onboard, including at the Captain's table at the most traveled luncheon and receiving the most traveled award at the party. The phrase "Super elite" made me think that he may well be a member of these boards because that's not a "real" term and something that was being chatted about a lot at the time because Princess had instituted the OBC for Elites with over 22 cruises (or whatever number). If you're here and reading this, you know who you are!! Obnoxious!!

Another cruise, traditional late dining. A family was assigned to the table next to us, in our waiters section. Every single night, they arrived an hour late, totally throwing off the timing of the whole section. They were clueless that this is bad form.

Like you all, I've seen all the pushy aggressive scooter driving, elevator cramming, kids using hot tubs as kiddie pools, teens reclining all over the stairs at night, clothes lines strung up on balconies to dry clothes, people fishing off their balcony (for real and I have a picture!), tank tops shorts and flip flops on formal night, demands for cheap wine to be decanted. Oh yeah - on a Christmas cruise out of Puerto Rico about 10 years ago now, boom boxes blaring music by the pool and young 20-somethings drinking vodka from bottles in the pool. Christmas night in the disco one guy actually attacked another guy - slammed him to the ground, bloody and then took off. We were very surprised to be called by ship's security officer several days later and questioned about what we had witnessed. Scarey. (they were part of an extended family traveling together. All were put off the ship at the next port).

I aways laugh at people who send food back on a cruise or anywhere. Do people not know what the cook or waiters can do. I have had many friends who worked in the food industry tell me stories of what they would do to peoples food who gave them a hard time. I will eat the shoe leather before I send a piece of food back. I wait until I am leaving the restraunt or the ship to express my thoughts to the manager. I am always as nice as I can be to the people making or bringing me my food:rolleyes:.

So are you saying that you think it is right to just be quiet and eat whatever they bring you, even if it is not what you ordered? Even if it is cooked in a way that is unpalatable for you? Even if, for instance, you ask for dressing on the side and get a salad with dressing already applied?

I am always very polite and specific in my requests and never blame the waiter when things go wrong (the waiters don't cook) but do believe that I should be able to have food prepared the way I like it on a cruise. Who knows maybe they just confused two different orders during the delivery process.

When I was younger I worked as a waitress at Disneyland (even crazier than a cruise ship) and did everything in my power to make sure that people got their food exactly the way they wanted it. There were times when the cook made a mistake and times when I made a mistake. I would much prefer that when things went wrong, my customers talked with me and gave me a chance to make it right, rather than go away unhappy with our food or service. I suspect that the wait staff of cruise ships feel the same way. Oft times the manner in which one resolves a problem will garner better reviews than even perfect service.

Which review would you prefer if you were a waiter:

1. Every night I ordered my steak rare from my waiter Raoul and it always came well done. He just didn't see to care what I wanted.

Or, this:

2. On the first night of the cruise I ordered a rare steak from our waiter Raoul. It came well done and he went out of his way to make sure it was replaced with a rare steak in rapid order. Every night thereafter, Raoul took special pains to make sure that everything I ordered was cooked to my satisfaction. I was very impressed. KUDOS to Raoul!

Of course, we must always be polite, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with requesting and expecting your food the way you want it.

Edited to add, in the case of a nonfunctional toilet, one can be polite, but very FIRM in requesting repair. :)

I know that some of you think it's snobby to mention "most traveled", but I really like it when someone is doing a "live" from a cruise and talks about the most traveled lunches and who has the most days, what happens at the Captains cocktail party, etc. It adds perspective to the commentary and it's more informational than braggadocious. Of course, that is completely different than someone -in person- implying that their experience makes them better than others.
I agree completely with you. Someone who does a "live" thread is using their vacation time and Internet minutes to share experiences and information with others. Extremely helpful and informative. I've been fortunate to meet a few and count them among my friends. (Or is it being snobby to say that?)

The rudest comment ever directed at me was when I was on a Panama Canal cruise several years ago. My wife and I were in our early 30's at the time, and were very young compared to the average age on that particular voyage. I had one guy come up to me and ask me if I had won the cruise in some sort of contest. No, *******, I paid for it like everybody else.

On our first DCL cruise my DH, DDs and I were waiting for an elevator. When it arrived my DH put his hand in to hold the door opened and motioned to my DDs and I to get on. A woman literally walked up right then, pushed him out of the way and said "I need on". Well? What did she think we were standing there for? My DH is gentlemanly enough he would have let her get on before himself, but she had just walked up so there wasn't even time to acknowledge her when she pushed him out of the way so she could get on.

Later (same DCL cruise) I was at the kids club to get my DDs, the staff told me to wait behind the line until someone could help me. So I did. Meanwhile a man walked around me to the front and leaned on the countertop demanding to be waited on. I did tell him I was in line too. .he looked me up and down and said "newbie I guess, no one waits in line" and perceeded to tell them his child's name. The staff did tell him to get back in line and called me up. But his atttiude still surprised me.

There are some people who make a big deal about who they know at Princess, like to boast about the special perks and attention they get because they know someone, say, "Email me and I'll get you the insider's info," etc. I find people like this very sad, very "Look at me, I'm Sandra Dee" attention-seeking. There are many others who know people at Princess or on the ships as well or better and don't brag about it.

Pam, you get my vote for the best and most pertinent post of the forum.

That pretty much sums up my take as well.;)

Mike:)

I agree completely with you. Someone who does a "live" thread is using their vacation time and Internet minutes to share experiences and information with others. Extremely helpful and informative. I've been fortunate to meet a few and count them among my friends. (Or is it being snobby to say that?)

I love the "live from" postings especially when they're from Pia. Obviously she could brag because she's so well traveled, but that's not her nature. She's informative and writes so well that you almost feel like you're on the trip with her.

I find people like this very sad, very "Look at me, I'm Sandra Dee" attention-seeking.

Shame on you, Pam. Sandra was a delightful person. We enjoyed dining with her frequently. :):)

(Yes, I know: Grease)

We were on a cruise and this woman and adult daughter came to lay out by the pool. They pulled their lounger into the walkway around the pool. One of the pool attendants came over and asked them to move since they were blocking the walk way and the mother turned to him and rudely told him in no uncertain terms that she paid for this cruise and she could sit any place she wanted (I guess the rest of us were there for free!). Well felling sorry for the attendant and annoyed at her I made it a point to walk past her lounger and "accidently" bump into her. After a couple of times of this she looked up at me and said "Will you watch where you are going?" My response - I paid for this cruise and I can walk where ever I want! Shortly afterward they moved.

LOL, thanks for the laugh. I wish cc had a like button!!

On one of our cruises, a Princess employee who travels (11 months of the year according to her) on various ships for one of the concessions, joined a table for 8 in the dining room for lunch. She was very obviously sick.. coughing and sneezing and complaining about how ill she was. I cannot understand how someone, especially someone who works for Princess, would be so unthoughtful and expose everyone around her to a nasty virus that was spreading through the ship. Felt so bad for the people on either side of her as she coughed all over them. Some people actually left the table.. Thoughtless...:mad:

I caught a very bad virus on my last cruise due to unavoidable contact with so many sick folks coughing all around whether in the dining room or in the theater

I moved seats and hand washing but still was very ill for two weeks of a long cruise. Yes I was isolated in my cabin for a few days and missed shore excursion. Some medicate themselves and mix freely.In other words they have paid for their cruise and are not going to miss out on anything so hard luck to anyone who catches their virus.

There are some people who make a big deal about who they know at Princess, like to boast about the special perks and attention they get because they know someone, say, "Email me and I'll get you the insider's info," etc. I find people like this very sad, very "Look at me, I'm Sandra Dee" attention-seeking. There are many others who know people at Princess or on the ships as well or better and don't brag about it.

I completely agree with you Pam. One person on CC springs to mind, always bragging and boasting about who he knows. I know a lot of people at Princess also, as Im sure you do too. I get perks etc when I am on board. But would never dream of bragging about it on here or on the ship.:eek:

:D:D

I've seen so many rude and boorish things, but the snobbiest was a woman who was complaining that they didn't have unsalted butter in the buffet. Salted butter was just not good enough for her.

"Not good enough for her"? It so happens that some people must restrict their salt intake for health reasons. It is reasonable to expect that Princess was prepared to accommodate her if she made such a request. I can't believe that the ship had no unsalted butter on board.

Would love to hear your reflections on the ultimate cruise snobs out there.

Last fall we were on the Caribbean Princess and encountered a couple that were parading around the ship with Faux Princess name tags, similar to the cruise staff, with Mom & Dad printed on them pinned. They had these tags pinned to their clothing. It was obvious that their intent was to be braggadocios of their status with Princess.

What your favorite Cruise Snob Story?:confused:

I saw them also and had the same impression. I just chalked it up to a few bats having taken up residence in the belfry.

I am not sure cruise snobs is an accurate title here. Cruise jerks would be more appropriate for most of the stories.

Here is mine: On a previous Princess cruise it was formal night and everyone at our table was appropriately dressed save for one couple. He was dressed decently in a blue button down oxford shirt with no tie or jacket and a pair of khakis. I looked in his direction and was about to greet him when, with a ginormous sneer on his face he piulled out his black elite card and waved it at me. Neither he nor his wife ever spoke or acknowleged anyone at the table even when greeted. Guess they were snobby jerks.:rolleyes: Thank goodness for Anytime Dining!:eek:

There is a thread elsewhere on the board concerning a crown circle level above elite. Based on some of the encounters I have had and behaviors I have observed, I suggest it be called "Insufferable" :eek:

Standing in line for the dining room one formal night and a woman walks by wearing palazzo pants. The woman standing in line with us commented to my wife. " I don't think palazzo pants are dressy enough for formal night". If she had looked down she would have seen my wife was wearing palazzo pants. Definitely requested a table for two that night.

A lot of people would not understand Aussie humour. We were drinking champagne (among other alcohol) entertaining in a mini suite with around ten or so other CCers doing a cabin crawl. I made a similar comment 'I wonder the the poor people are doing' meaning those not enjoying a cruise and drinking champagne. One lady then said ' Well I am sorry that we only have an inside cabin' and I then had to explain that I was not having a go and what it actually meant. We all had a good laugh together after that before moving to a Full suite.:D

This pair were from Adelaide and she knew how to bung it on.

We have a couple in our neighborhood who are constantly trying to prove that they have more money than the rest of us. We were at a get together when the hostess asked me about our recent cruise. Before I could answer he asked "did you go one of those Large Ships?" in a snobby way. Later I heard they took a SMALL ship on a TA and were sick the whole time!

Although having cruised on other lines from the Uk we had our first P&O cruise and while having a cocktail before dinner were chatting to an elderly very much travelled lady (her words)

She was complaining and saying she would never travel P&O again and would cancel her next booking as the standards have gone down too far.

When asked what she found so bad she said.

"When the waiter serves the main meal he does not position the P&O insignia at the top of the plate but lets it be anywhere" :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Now when the meals are served if the pattern is not at the top my DW and I have a look and a wink - we are there for the great food not the china

Was her name Hyacinth Bucket?

I'm loving this thread (for the most part). I have to tell you about the man I met at the beginning of a long cruise recently. He went around wearing his grandaughter's blue cruise card around his neck on a lanyard (as a joke).

He told me how one woman was all but hysterical trying to get him thrown out of the Captain's repeater party even though the CD kept telling her it was a joke. The CD begged the man to put it away, but he would not.

Later in the cruise I had the honor of accompanying my Dad to the top 40 luncheon, while waiting to get in, I was talking with "my friend" who was, as usual wearing his "blue card" and sitting there in his wheelchair (also waiting to get into the luncheon). Someone else in line told him three times "this is a private function", to which he finally replied "I'm just here early, waiting to go to dinner" (it was 12:30pm - lol)

My Dad loved this so much that he has procured a blue card and is planning on wearing it constantly on our up-coming Panama Canal cruise.

Happy Sailing Everybody!

Tammy

On cruises in Australian waters the vast majority of pax bring or buy a lanyard and hang the cruises card around their neck. When we did a couple of cruises out of FLL I noticed the custom wasn't as prevalent with U.S. based ships. Maybe it's just an Aussie thing. Anyway cruise cards are not coloured to denote status on P&O ships over here. When we did our first Princess cruise we had the blue one and we had some friends who were Elite. One day we heard the wife telling the hubby to flip over his cruise card on the lanyard as the black face wasn't displayed.

What worries me is that now we are up in the lofty echelons I might be thought of being a bit of a wanker for hanging it off a lanyard.

On cruises in Australian waters the vast majority of pax bring or buy a lanyard and hang the cruises card around their neck. When we did a couple of cruises out of FLL I noticed the custom wasn't as prevalent with U.S. based ships. Maybe it's just an Aussie thing. Anyway cruise cards are not coloured to denote status on P&O ships over here. When we did our first Princess cruise we had the blue one and we had some friends who were Elite. One day we heard the wife telling the hubby to flip over his cruise card on the lanyard as the black face wasn't displayed.

What worries me is that now we are up in the lofty echelons I might be thought of being a bit of a wanker for hanging it off a lanyard.

The lanyards a re a great way to wear your card when you do not have pockets (swimwear) but whe pockets are available (formal night) perhaps they should be put away.:D

I am loving the stories on this thread so keep 'em coming.

Not snobs -- but I had a "gentleman" spit in my face on a Costa cruise when I was saving a couple of seats for some Wounded Warriors who were slowly making their way down that long flight of stairs in the theater. What an a**hole. He had no idea what or who Wounded Warriors were. He was determined to sit in those seats until one of our finest (a U.S. Marine) stepped in and took over the situation. Semper Fi!!

If someone spit at me on a cruise, I would immediately call security and file an assault complaint with them. You are right. What a ....jerk!

I am loving the stories on this thread so keep 'em coming.

Not snobs -- but I had a "gentleman" spit in my face on a Costa cruise when I was saving a couple of seats for some Wounded Warriors who were slowly making their way down that long flight of stairs in the theater. What an a**hole. He had no idea what or who Wounded Warriors were. He was determined to sit in those seats until one of our finest (a U.S. Marine) stepped in and took over the situation. Semper Fi!!

Love this one! Love, love, love the military, but especially the Marines! (My son is a Marine) :)

Archived