cruising with birth certificate

I've never cruised without a passport. I'm pretty sure you need a passport card or passport to cruise these days.

When I go ashore (Mexico/Caribbean area) I don't bring my passport with me, it stays locked in my cabin safe. I just bring my drivers license and Sea Pass. Getting back on the pier and re-boarding has never been a problem with just those documents.

You do not need a passport to cruise if you are leaving and arriving back into a US Port. We always have our passports but we took our niece and her girlfriend on Majesty last summer and they just had their birth certs and driver's license. It has to be a "certified" birth cert. We had no issues at all.

Will be taking my husband's granddaughters this summer and will do the same, just take their birth certs and ID's

As far as islands go, we never take our passport off with us, just our licenses. But what I also take is a photo copy of our passports. That way I have the info if an emergency hit, but don't have to take the actual passport with me.

You do not need a passport to cruise if you are leaving and arriving back into a US Port.

(remainder of post snipped)

This comment should include "and if you are a US citizen."

It is only US citizens who can cruise without a passport.

For the rest of us, who are not US citizens, a passport is necessary.

Just a small reminder that this is an international web site and its membership is not exclusively from the USA.

This comment should include "and if you are a US citizen."

It is only US citizens who can cruise without a passport.

For the rest of us, who are not US citizens, a passport is necessary.

Just a small reminder that this is an international web site and its membership is not exclusively from the USA.

You are correct, I did not add "if you are a US Citizen". Was assuming the OP was, so did not even think about adding that.

Closed loop (roundtrip) cruises do not require a US Passport. It is suggested that you have do have one. They are good for 10 years, so your annual investment is only $13 or so. Sooner or later, everyone will need one.

David

You do not need a passport to cruise if you are leaving and arriving back into a US Port...
True if it is the SAME US port - closed loop cruises only. Passport required if you are going to a different US port [possible even on a foreign flagged vessel if (and only if) you stop in a DISTANT foreign port (which generally will mean South America or the "A,B,C islands")].

We have always used a passport, however last year our sister-in-law did not have one and used her birth certificate. The line for customs that was designated for without passport was extremely long and slow compared to those in lines for with passport. Just an experience we had in the Galveston terminal.

You are correct, I did not add "if you are a US Citizen". Was assuming the OP was, so did not even think about adding that.

That's OK. It's just that sometimes, not being from the USA, I get a little overwhelmed that so many of the posts are written only from the US perspective!

I've even see a few posts that say something like, "We're all Americans." No, we're not.

:)

Archived