Celebrity Reflection or RCCL Freedom of the Seas with teenager?

always planning

I can't decide between Reflection and Freedom of the Seas for our next cruise. We have been on Carnival, Disney(twice) and RCL (twice). We love RCL, but were thinking of trying something new with Celebrity. However, we will have our 17 year old daughter with us and I am concerned that Celebrity may not offer as much for her. She likes to relax with a good book and will enjoy the great atmosphere and food, but she also loves interacting with other teens on the ships.

The itineraries are very similar. Eastern Caribbean with 3 Sea Days and 3 days in port. This will be during a school break in March of 2014, but not at Easter, so I am not sure how many teens will be on the ship.

Has anyone gone on Celebrity with Teens? Will they like it as well as RCCL?

Not that she will complain either way!!

Thanks!

I can't decide between Reflection and Freedom of the Seas for our next cruise. We have been on Carnival, Disney(twice) and RCL (twice). We love RCL, but were thinking of trying something new with Celebrity. However, we will have our 17 year old daughter with us and I am concerned that Celebrity may not offer as much for her. She likes to relax with a good book and will enjoy the great atmosphere and food, but she also loves interacting with other teens on the ships.

The itineraries are very similar. Eastern Caribbean with 3 Sea Days and 3 days in port. This will be during a school break in March of 2014, but not at Easter, so I am not sure how many teens will be on the ship.

Thanks!

We have done both RCCL and Celebrity S-Class with our teenagers. RCCL definitely has more activities that kids enjoy (ice skating, rollerblading, etc.) However, the time of year that you go might make a difference in how much your daughter enjoys it. When we have travelled on Celebrity over school breaks (e.g. summer), there have always been a lot of kids on board (one summer there were 300!) Our teenagers are more interested in who their own ages are around for them to hang out with, than what organized activities are available. They have really enjoyed their Celebrity cruises. For younger kids, the kids' club and activities are more important.

We enjoy both RCCL and Celebrity. However, for a higher level of food, service and refinement, we prefer Celebrity. If you have never sailed Celebrity, I think it's worth a try.

Imagine a gradation line from retirement village to cruise ship.

The Reflection is close to the beginning. The Freedom is close to the end.

I don't mean the age of cruisers - I mean the ship design.

I know it's kind of boring to cruise on similar ships all the time (you've been on Voyager class twice).

So it's time to try something different.

If you want to try Celebrity - try the Eclipse.

They implemented several retrograde changes to the Reflection that made her the worst of S-Class ships.

What is "atmosphere"?

If you like the atmosphere of a floating hotel - you'll be OK on Celebrity.

On caribbean cruises we enjoy what a cruise ship has to offer: open spaces, separate adult pools, promenade decks, spectacular observation decks, energy of sea travel and of course great food.

That's why the Reflection is out of the question for us. Even for free.

If you want a great cruise vacation on something you have not been before - try HAL Nieuw Amsterdam or Eurodam (Eastern Caribbean).

Reserve hydropool & thermal suite for 7 days as soon as you step on board.

Enjoy the true cruise ship and the best itinerary.

Imagine a gradation line from retirement village to cruise ship.

The Reflection is close to the beginning. The Freedom is close to the end.

I don't mean the age of cruisers - I mean the ship design.

I know it's kind of boring to cruise on similar ships all the time (you've been on Voyager class twice).

So it's time to try something different.

If you want to try Celebrity - try the Eclipse.

They implemented several retrograde changes to the Reflection that made her the worst of S-Class ships.

What is "atmosphere"?

If you like the atmosphere of a floating hotel - you'll be OK on Celebrity.

On caribbean cruises we enjoy what a cruise ship has to offer: open spaces, separate adult pools, promenade decks, spectacular observation decks, energy of sea travel and of course great food.

That's why the Reflection is out of the question for us. Even for free.

If you want a great cruise vacation on something you have not been before - try HAL Nieuw Amsterdam or Eurodam (Eastern Caribbean).

Reserve hydropool & thermal suite for 7 days as soon as you step on board.

Enjoy the true cruise ship and the best itinerary.

I read your posts, and I think the work that you put into the stateroom information and the collection of photos and information is absolutely amazing. I have used it myself and referred family and friends to it in order to obtain information. However, I find it surprising that you enjoyed Eclipse, but wouldn't sail on reflection, even at no cost. We have sailed on Eclipse and Solstice multiple times and are looking forward to trying the new ship in that class. While there are certain things that I have read that may be "potential negatives" for some people on Reflection as compared to Eclipse, I can't imagine it being so much different that it is "bad." There are many reports on this board from recent travelers of excellent experiences.

We have done both RCCL and Celebrity S-Class with our teenagers. RCCL definitely has more activities that kids enjoy (ice skating, rollerblading, etc.) However, the time of year that you go might make a difference in how much your daughter enjoys it. When we have travelled on Celebrity over school breaks (e.g. summer), there have always been a lot of kids on board (one summer there were 300!) Our teenagers are more interested in who their own ages are around for them to hang out with, than what organized activities are available. They have really enjoyed their Celebrity cruises. For younger kids, the kids' club and activities are more important.

We enjoy both RCCL and Celebrity. However, for a higher level of food, service and refinement, we prefer Celebrity. If you have never sailed Celebrity, I think it's worth a try.

(Emphasis added by me.)

This is true for us, too. My 16 year old DD says that her enjoyment of a cruise comes from hitting it off with a new group of friends, not really from the activities themselves. She really had a great time on our 2011 Equinox cruise and our recent Sapphire Princess cruise, because she met some nice, like-minded teens and they enjoyed just hanging out, getting snacks, playing cards, etc. She enjoyed some of the organized activities too, but mostly she just enjoyed the company of other teens.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I am still undecided!

I agree that the ability to meet up with other teens is more important than the actual activities where this age group is concerned. This will not actually be at Easter, but earlier in spring. I am just not sure if there will be many teens during this time.

Freedom of the Seas is best for the younger crowd.

In my humble opinion, if you're still trying to decide between FOS and Reflection, you must be looking for a cruise for yourself and thinking less about options for your teen.

Edited by JLSPOOL

Thanks everyone for the replies. I am still undecided!

I agree that the ability to meet up with other teens is more important than the actual activities where this age group is concerned. This will not actually be at Easter, but earlier in spring. I am just not sure if there will be many teens during this time.

Just thinking...

Why does she need teens on a cruise?

She will get the ship! This is something unique she cannot enjoy on land.

That's why we cruise.

She can meet up with teens 358 days a year.

Why not have a break and spend 7 short precious days enjoying something special?:)

• 8 months later...

Bumping to the top b/c I'm in the same predicament. Looking to book for March 2014.

We have sailed both Royal and Celebrity, but never Celebrity with our 15 yr old son. We have actually sailed FoS before and my son had a great time! I have a $800 credit on Celebrity and thus was considering the Reflection. Although my son enjoys meeting other teens, he's very active & athletic, which is why I think we usually do Royal when we travel with him.

For those who have traveled with teens on Celebrity, what kind of day activities do they have for them?

I have cruised both ships. The Reflection is an overall nicer ship. Beautifully designed. With that said if you're taking your teenage children then I would go RCI. The Reflection and Celebrity is designed for more of an adult experience. I think your daughter will find more people her age on the Freedom.

The entertainment is about equal on both ships as far as the production shows.

Celebrity has better food across the board IMHO. Especially specialty dining.

At the time when you want just the two of you to try Celebrity then come back and try the Reflection. We had a very active crowd on our sailing last year. Many think Celebrity is like HAL and has a much older crowd. Not true. No nursing home atmosphere on Celebrity. :)

Maybe the best thing is to wait a little bit until people have booked and see on the roll call if there are other teens on board. I personally would think it would be a good step up much like taking a teen for an upscale dining experience vs going to Chilis?

Bumping to the top b/c I'm in the same predicament. Looking to book for March 2014.

Which March sailing are you looking at? We, along with another family, will be on the March 22nd sailing of the Reflection. We have a 13 year old son(who will turn 14 in May) and a 9 year old daughter. The other family we are traveling with has a daughter who will turn 16 on the cruise and also a 8 year old daughter.

Our two kids have never cruised, so they will have nothing to compare it to. The family that we are traveling with has cruised Celebrity with their kids, and the whole family loved it!

Good luck with whatever you decide on!

I have been on both ships. If she is not into rock climbing, ice skating, and surf boarding then I would take the cruise on Celebrity. It is quieter and to me a nicer looking ship.

My niece was on RCCL and didn't really care for it because she was also 17. It is a tough age. She said that she felt too old to be with the teens that were 13 to 14 and not old enough to be with the adults. So that part will be the same on all ships.

If she like to read and relax there are more places like the hideaway, hammocks, lawn area, and etc on the Reflection. The Refection has more class and is a beautiful ship with better food options.

I don't think that she will be bored.

We have been on both ships. Go with the Freedom of the Seas. There is a higher energy level and many more activities geared to young people. Daughter loved the Freedom of the Seas and meet and hung out with some real nice people her age. There were significantly fewer young people on Reflection. You have to decide whether the vacation is for you or your family. If for the family, go with the Freedom of the Seas. If for adults, then go with Celebrity.

Which March sailing are you looking at? We, along with another family, will be on the March 22nd sailing of the Reflection. We have a 13 year old son(who will turn 14 in May) and a 9 year old daughter. The other family we are traveling with has a daughter who will turn 16 on the cruise and also a 8 year old daughter.

Our two kids have never cruised, so they will have nothing to compare it to. The family that we are traveling with has cruised Celebrity with their kids, and the whole family loved it!

Good luck with whatever you decide on!

That's actually the sailing we're looking at! Will keep you posted!

Celebrity Reflection: nicer ship, better food (subjective of course), more attentive crew. It's a more laid back cruise.

Freedom of the Seas: nice ship, very attentive crew, tons of activities, more fun

Cruisetrail: on a mission to bash a ship they've never sailed. Not sure if one should value that type of criticism. Stealing pictures off the internet to make a point doesn't necessarily lend toward credibility.

Edited by Big_G

Both are great choices. By the time our DD was 18 (now 30) she had sailed 10 times, on 5 different lines, 4x on Celebrity which was, and still is her favorite line. At 21 she went to work for RCCL. We took her with us on the Freedom in 2011, and as always she had a wonderful time. There is no bad choice here.

ps: March should have more younger pax on both due to the varied spring break times.

Edited by wallie5446

The entire month of March is considered spring break by someone. I know of schools that always take the last week of March, and some that always take the 2nd and 3 week of March, so there is a reasonable probability of there being young people on board at any point in the month. The question will be the actual age of the young people.

I agree with the recommendation to check out the roll calls. We prefer Celebrity, but when I take the grandkids, I go with RCCL or one of the other kid oriented lines.

Overall- I think the vibe on RCCL is much better for teens. For example on FOS you have dance parties, and games and movies by the pool. On Celebrity, you get some dance parties, but, the crowd is usually older. However, we sailed Celebrity once in the summer and the ship had plenty of kids who were having a wonderful time.

• 1 year later...

Thanks!

What did you end up doing? We've booked Reflection for Easter week 2016 with 3 teenagers. Hoping they'll meet up with others and have fun.