heritage wharf in bermuda

crabbyjack

As far as revenue is concerned, Bermuda (as well as many other ports) receives much less of their revenue from cruise ships and their passengers, than from visitors who fly in and stay on the island. Those visitors are paying for hotels and meals in addition to entertainment and shopping. ;)

Read some of the discussions attached to the articles in the Bermuda newspapers, and you'll get a good understanding of how the island and it's residents feel about cruise ships.

A friend of mine is from Bermuda, born there, although living in the US for the last 20 years. He said the cruise ships are almost more trouble than they are worth. He said guests generally are off the ship buying a few tourist type items, then right back on board for meals, lodging and such. He said that a cruise ship's visit really doesn't contribute very much to the local economy.

Read some of the discussions attached to the articles in the Bermuda newspapers, and you'll get a good understanding of how the island and it's residents feel about cruise ships.

I decided to do just that. I just wanted to see how they feel about those of us coming from a cruise ship. I hear it's a great place to visit and pretty well off (since you won't find peddlers begging like you do in the Caribbean). I found some pretty interesting articles and I only looked at the very first page in the search (all from this month, January).

She said that a new hotel or a visiting cruise ship could provide a huge boost for the community, even if her business itself largely caters to locals.

“It’s not going to help my business directly because it’s not really a tourist shop, but it would be good for St George’s to get a cruise ship,” she said.

The Frog and Onion Pub has changed hands after Island Restaurant Group bought the Dockyard restaurant from Carol West. Dockyard is the Island’s major cruise port, having several thousand passengers and crew visit a day during the summer season.She said cruise ship passengers had become the Frog and Onion’s main customer base.“Without the cruise ships we probably wouldn’t be here, we’d be gone,” Ms West said

Over the last few years, Mr Rothwell said the town has suffered from a “triple whammy,” losing cruise ships and the golf club while the entire Island struggled through recession. Despite the difficulties, he said he was optimistic about the town’s future. He said the immediate focus for himself and the Corporation is talking with Government about the ferry schedule for the coming year. “This year we need to get together with the businesses, look at the cruise ship schedule and say between us what would be the ideal ferry schedule for St George’s and give that to Transportation.

Front Street gift shop Spinnakers has closed its doors, but only temporarily. He said both stores did OK with cruise ship the Veendam in port last season. Without a ship this season, however, he expected business to be slower.

I don't know if you were implying that they do not care for cruise ship passengers, but if that's the case, it sure seems like they enjoy and rely on us for income to me. :confused:

There was an article that stated the breakdown of income from people cruising, residents on the island, people taking vacations there and staying...it stated that ALL have declined last year and that less cruise ships were coming there.

As far as revenue is concerned, Bermuda (as well as many other ports) receives much less of their revenue from cruise ships and their passengers, than from visitors who fly in and stay on the island. Those visitors are paying for hotels and meals in addition to entertainment and shopping. ;)

Of course this is true. With cruise ships, you have a floating hotel that you have paid for and free meals that come with that cruise expense. So there is always going to be less revenue from the cruise ship passengers versus land based vacations. That can be true anywhere you go. It doesn't mean they don't want the income they do get from the passengers.

I myself can't imagine taking a cruise to a beautiful island and just getting off to pick up a few items and getting back on the ship. What is the purpose of cruising there then if you are going to stay on the ship?

I decided to do just that. I just wanted to see how they feel about those of us coming from a cruise ship. I hear it's a great place to visit and pretty well off (since you won't find peddlers begging like you do in the Caribbean). I found some pretty interesting articles and I only looked at the very first page in the search (all from this month, January).

I don't know if you were implying that they do not care for cruise ship passengers, but if that's the case, it sure seems like they enjoy and rely on us for income to me. :confused:

There was an article that stated the breakdown of income from people cruising, residents on the island, people taking vacations there and staying...it stated that ALL have declined last year and that less cruise ships were coming there.

[/color]

The quotes you referenced were all from individual shop owners, or from the town of St. Georges. These entities do appreciate the revenue generated from cruise ship passengers, and welcome them with open arms. Believe me, I know. I've sailed to Bermuda 5 times. ;) It is a spectacularly beautiful place, and the residents are simply delightful.

Of course this is true. With cruise ships, you have a floating hotel that you have paid for and free meals that come with that cruise expense. So there is always going to be less revenue from the cruise ship passengers versus land based vacations. That can be true anywhere you go. It doesn't mean they don't want the income they do get from the passengers.

I myself can't imagine taking a cruise to a beautiful island and just getting off to pick up a few items and getting back on the ship. What is the purpose of cruising there then if you are going to stay on the ship?

I did not insinuate that the shopkeepers and restaurant owners don't want the income from cruise ship passengers. The point I was trying to make in my original post is that the revenue from cruise ships and their passengers is not a MAJOR source of revenue for BERMUDA as a whole. Tourism in general is a major source of revenue for Bermuda, but the Finance industry, and the Insurance and Reinsurance industries are much larger sources of revenue. In order for revenue to be generated from tourism, ALL of the components need to be realized: tax revenue from the hotels they stay in and the restaurants they visit; business taxes from the other businesses and enterprises that service the industry; and JOBS created. Tourists who fly in and stay on the island help create many more jobs than those of us who cruise in on ships. ;)

The quotes you referenced were all from individual shop owners, or from the town of St. Georges. These entities do appreciate the revenue generated from cruise ship passengers, and welcome them with open arms. Believe me, I know. I've sailed to Bermuda 5 times. ;) It is a spectacularly beautiful place, and the residents are simply delightful.

I did not insinuate that the shopkeepers and restaurant owners don't want the income from cruise ship passengers. The point I was trying to make in my original post is that the revenue from cruise ships and their passengers is not a MAJOR source of revenue for BERMUDA as a whole. Tourism in general is a major source of revenue for Bermuda, but the Finance industry, and the Insurance and Reinsurance industries are much larger sources of revenue. In order for revenue to be generated from tourism, ALL of the components need to be realized: tax revenue from the hotels they stay in and the restaurants they visit; business taxes from the other businesses and enterprises that service the industry; and JOBS created. Tourists who fly in and stay on the island help create many more jobs than those of us who cruise in on ships. ;)

I completely understand and agree that people staying there would bring in more revenue.

I'm glad to hear that Bermudians are simply delightful. I have heard that many times and I hope to experience that for myself.

The only thing that made me wonder the point you were getting at was your comment "Read some of the discussions attached to the articles in the Bermuda newspapers, and you'll get a good understanding of how the island and it's residents feel about cruise ships." This comment makes it sound like the residents DON'T like the cruise ships and would rather have them not there. When you say "how" they "feel" about the cruise ships makes it sound negative. I was expecting (when I did my search) to find articles about them possibly complaining about cruisers and such. That's the part I didn't understand and couldn't find anything like that in the articles. :) So actually, going along with your point about it not bringing in as much revenue as someone who actually comes to visit the island and stays there, that would be more of a statement saying how much they love the income from vacationers there instead of how they feel about cruise ships. :confused: If they feel anything, I would hope that they would welcome any extra income coming to their island. Money is money. ;)

mitsugirly, you read WAY too much into a simple statement. ;)

I apologize if my wording confused you. What I was trying to suggest is that if you want to get a good understanding of how the cruise industry is viewed by the Government, the businesses, and the residents of the island, one merely needs to read their newspapers and be sure to read the commentary attached to those articles. That's a lot of words, and it seemed much simpler to state it the way that I did previously. :)

mitsugirly, you read WAY too much into a simple statement. ;)

I apologize if my wording confused you. What I was trying to suggest is that if you want to get a good understanding of how the cruise industry is viewed by the Government, the businesses, and the residents of the island, one merely needs to read their newspapers and be sure to read the commentary attached to those articles. That's a lot of words, and it seemed much simpler to state it the way that I did previously. :)

No problem. As I've said, I haven't been to Bermuda before, but I'm suppose to go in May. I have read WONDERFUL things about the island AND the people. I took your statement as they really didn't care for the cruisers and it had me worried. You have put my mind at ease. Thank you. :D Friends? :p I apologize too. I was really trying to type in a non-negative way (I know it's hard to do behind a computer) and I'm just trying to gain knowledge about Bermuda (as I do with EVERY port I go to). I do a lot of research prior to going so that I can be better prepared...after all, you are in a different country and new to the situation. Thank you. :)

The only thing that made me wonder the point you were getting at was your comment "Read some of the discussions attached to the articles in the Bermuda newspapers, and you'll get a good understanding of how the island and it's residents feel about cruise ships." This comment makes it sound like the residents DON'T like the cruise ships and would rather have them not there. When you say "how" they "feel" about the cruise ships makes it sound negative.

That is exactly how I felt. But I guess I can see where WaldosPepper is coming from, take for example Falmouth. There was a lot of high expectations with the port and how it would help the economy. But most of the locals say that they are just not seeing the money from the cruise ships. None the less there is money going into the island, port fees, light shopping, excursions ect. I still believe that they should prioritize into fixing/expanding the port, it sure seems like it is not a priority at this point...

That is exactly how I felt. But I guess I can see where WaldosPepper is coming from, take for example Falmouth. There was a lot of high expectations with the port and how it would help the economy. But most of the locals say that they are just not seeing the money from the cruise ships. None the less there is money going into the island, port fees, light shopping, excursions ect. I still believe that they should prioritize into fixing/expanding the port, it sure seems like it is not a priority at this point...

But Jamaica is a totally different place. People are scared to get off in Jamaica most times. I know I had a BAD experience back in the 80's there and it seems like the trend continues. The people that hassel you there are rediculous and basically down right scary at times. They have a bad rep so I can understand why they don't see the revenue...people don't even want to go there. :eek:

Bermuda however, it seems like everyone would want to go and they should see a lot more revenue because I would think people are going there because they want to. Not because they are forced to because it happens to be one of the ports that the ship they are on goes to.

That's basically why this statement had me confused and I thought that maybe Bermuda isn't as nice as I had read about. :) But I don't believe that to be the case.

Mitsugirly, you are going to have an amazing time in Bermuda, and I'd wager that shortly after you return home you'll begin planning your next visit there. :D

I also do a lot of research whenever I'm going to a new port, and it makes an enormous difference if you know what to expect, and where to find the things you are interested in! Plus, it adds a tremendous amount of pre-travel excitement as well, and that's never a bad thing.

I'm looking forward to reading your review when you return... because I KNOW you're going to write a long one, and I can't wait to see what treasures you find in my favorite place on the planet! :D

Hi people, Does anyone have any info on the work being done on the

dockyard wharf in Bermuda? We are on the Breakaway on June 9th. and hope it will be done in time to dock. Not looking foreward to tendering on a ship with four thousand passengers. Our final payment is due in march.

Hope NCL gets positive answers soon. I have been following the progress

in the Royal gazette, Bermudas newspaper,but not much has been said

since the original news.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.:)

Very good first question .

Wish we had a good answer .;)

Dawn has no problem . The dock is just fine as is for her.

But if the Dawn is docking at the same port as the Breakaway and they are redoing this port to accommodate the bigger ship, is there not going to be construction, therefore keeping the Dawn from being able to dock? I think that's what we are asking. Even though the Dawn can dock there now, as the port currently is, will it be able to dock if they are working on it?

biker@ sea, if I remember correctly, weren't you on the Dawn this past September when they extended her stay in Bermuda until Wednesday because she arrived a day late due to a storm? The Dawn moved out to anchor to let the Star come in to dock. Except for some other lines that tried tendering in St. Georges and I think AIDA tenders to Hamilton, that's the only time I can remember NCL tendering in Bermuda. Didn't they tender you to Hamilton? How did that work out?

I know it's optimum to dock and be able to walk on and off the ship, especially in Bermuda, but what's your take on this? Would they tender to Hamilton or to the ferry dock at the Dockyard?

biker@ sea, if I remember correctly, weren't you on the Dawn this past September when they extended her stay in Bermuda until Wednesday because she arrived a day late due to a storm? The Dawn moved out to anchor to let the Star come in to dock. Except for some other lines that tried tendering in St. Georges and I think AIDA tenders to Hamilton, that's the only time I can remember NCL tendering in Bermuda. Didn't they tender you to Hamilton? How did that work out?

I know it's optimum to dock and be able to walk on and off the ship, especially in Bermuda, but what's your take on this? Would they tender to Hamilton or to the ferry dock at the Dockyard?

That is true BUT D.W. and I de-boated @ 6 a.m. before Dawn left the dock .

We grabbed the first bus out to Stonehole Bay.

At days end we continued to Hamilton . "The Bermudian" was used to tender last call . there was a long line down Front Street as she holds about 700 passengers .

NCL did a great job as MaMa Tek and her crew went up and down the line with tray's of ice water. Life boats also tendered all day to Hamilton only, even though we were anchored much closer to Dockyard .

Here is another resource to try to keep up to date on the dock schedule. As of right now it appears they are banking on the dock work being done or either being able to work around with the smaller ships in dock since they have ships schedule to that wharf in April and May as well.

http://www.bermuda-online.org/cruises.htm

Bermuda 2013 Cruise Ship Schedule http://www.marineandports.bm/Documents/Shipping_schedules/2013%20Cruise%20Ship%20Schedule%20Dec%2018.pdf this PDF is subject to change so it best to check it's current posting off of the link above.

Also it appears that the only other ship in port nearly at the same time as yours will be the ExotS over at the King's Wharf. So you may want to question if there is an outside chance of docking there instead. It been common for NCL Star, which I believe is the same class as the Dawn, to be berth right behind a Royal or Celebrity ship @ the Royal Naval Dockyard.

Here is another resource to try to keep up to date on the dock schedule. As of right now it appears they are banking on the dock work being done or either being able to work around with the smaller ships in dock since they have ships schedule to that wharf in April and May as well.

http://www.bermuda-online.org/cruises.htm

Bermuda 2013 Cruise Ship Schedule http://www.marineandports.bm/Documents/Shipping_schedules/2013%20Cruise%20Ship%20Schedule%20Dec%2018.pdf this PDF is subject to change so it best to check it's current posting off of the link above.

Also it appears that the only other ship in port nearly at the same time as yours will be the ExotS over at the King's Wharf. So you may want to question if there is an outside chance of docking there instead. It been common for NCL Star, which I believe is the same class as the Dawn, to be berth right behind a Royal or Celebrity ship @ the Royal Naval Dockyard.

No...The Royal Caribbean and Celebrity ships dock at King's Wharf. You can't dock two ships there at once. If there are two ships, one is docked at Kings Wharf, the other at Heritage Wharf. The Star and the Dawn both docked (on different days of course) at Heritage Wharf, as all NCL ships have generally done since Heritage Wharf was built a couple of years ago.. It's "adjacent", but it's not the same wharf. If Heritage Wharf is unusable due to construction the ships scheduled to dock there are out of luck if there is a ship at Kings Wharf.

Thanks. And typical of Gazette to take a more dubious look at Government's claims. Not to mention, like comment sections everywhere, the locals are pretty critical. All we can do is cross our fingers.

Guess the Gazette and the locals know how their government historically works when seeing it up close and personal.;)

I'm going with my 80 year old aunt, and am very concerned about the possibility of tendering. That might not work for her. Also, one of the lovely benefits of cruising to Bermuda is the 24 hour access; I wonder how they'll handle the timing of the tenders for the "off-peak" hours for the 2 nights that we're there.

I may have to rethink the May cruise for this year.

Archived