Dining Question - Change seating?

HappilyRetiredToo

Politics, religion and the NRA are three subjects we don't discuss on cruises, unless we get really comfortable with the people we're with! We have to be careful with health care too, but being Canadian we always get asked about that.

I agree

Have not been hit with the NRA conversation yet ;)

One more... is the price we paid (really hate that one)

But our healthcare system is usually brought up a few times on the cruise

(not by us)

We did a river cruise last year ..went with friends

They did not get the memo about discussing politics at the table

Most of our shipmates were from NZ or Australia, by the end of the cruise I felt like an outcast ...we ended up sitting with just the 4 of us

One day they did a tour & another couple did sit with us ..she asked are your friends joining you

We told her they were safe our friends were ashore

we did have a laugh

The DW is quite outspoken but we are use to them so usually just tune her out ;)

share photos of my Labrador! How can that go wrong? That's my plan.

As with all topics, tread lightly until you are sure of your companions' tastes. I know it is hard for animal lovers to get their heads around it, but not everyone loves animals. Some are neutral. Some dispise them. Same with talk about kids and g/kids. Along with the forementioned God, Politics, Oh! and let's not forget homosexuality and abortion. And sports. Oh My! Is nothing safe? Well, You have to tune in to the reception you are getting when you raise a topic. If it is chilly ... know how it will go if you choose to continue.

It is a bign world with lots of different folks and different viewpoints.

As with all topics, tread lightly until you are sure of your companions' tastes. I know it is hard for animal lovers to get their heads around it, but not everyone loves animals. Some are neutral. Some dispise them. Same with talk about kids and g/kids. Along with the forementioned God, Politics, Oh! and let's not forget homosexuality and abortion. And sports. Oh My! Is nothing safe? Well, You have to tune in to the reception you are getting when you raise a topic. If it is chilly ... know how it will go if you choose to continue.

It is a bign world with lots of different folks and different viewpoints.

My post was kind of a joke (I don't have photos of my dog, I don't even have a camera phone) I am not too worried about getting along with dinner mates.

No, kimanjo, it is OK. Think of it like an advice thing on the radio, the answers are not just for the caller, but also for all the other listners. A comment / question like yours just serves to prompt a wider, fuller discussion. Very valid.

(B-T-W, I am in the neutral to mildly positive arena re pets. Except cats.)

I knew you were joking about the pets! As for the other topics, I think sports is fairly safe, although boring (for me.) But I agree, no lengthy discussions of grandchildren (or children for that matter.)

As for the Canadian healthcare system, yes, we always get asked, and are usually asked to dispel ridiculous rumors about how awful it is. :rolleyes:

Why doesn't everyone just talk about their travels and their travel wish lists. I always get some wonderful info just talking to well-travelled cruisers. Also, love to talk about where others live.

I don't talk politics, sex or religion...well hubby might try to get in a few jokes about sex...but I think his bruised shins know better by now.

I'm lucky because on my first-ever cruise in 2002 we sat with two other couples and now one of those couples are our best gay friends and we've cruised together every since.

When hubby and I cruise alone we usually sit by ourselves. I savor the eating experience and don't like to be interrupted with talking.

That's what is nice about cruising.

but I think his bruised shins know better by now.

You mean he has become immune to "the look?" lol

I guess in general, table talk is fine unless a particular topic sets someone off (like a cartoon character w/ steam pouring outta the ears... lol) or if one or more at the table starts with the one-upmanship. Then the light, airy chit-chat turns ugly and the fun evaporates.

The BEST time we have had is when we were with a group on a cruise. We all knew one another before hand and had a ball. It was a Princess and had the defined dining... we had the same young lady serving us the whole time. We got to know her and we all had a great time.

As for the Canadian healthcare system, yes, we always get asked, and are usually asked to dispel ridiculous rumors about how awful it is. :rolleyes:

it is the only system I know & I do not have any complaints...well maybe one or two ;)

You mean he has become immune to "the look?" lol

I guess in general, table talk is fine unless a particular topic sets someone off (like a cartoon character w/ steam pouring outta the ears... lol) or if one or more at the table starts with the one-upmanship. Then the light, airy chit-chat turns ugly and the fun evaporates.

The BEST time we have had is when we were with a group on a cruise. We all knew one another before hand and had a ball. It was a Princess and had the defined dining... we had the same young lady serving us the whole time. We got to know her and we all had a great time.

Men crack me up, you give them "the look" and they don't get it, so you kick the shin and he says "WHAT"?:rolleyes:

I can understand people wanting to tread lightly on topics when first meeting new people, but I'm one who wants to know quickly whether we have views, experiences etc. in common. One has to take conversational risks otherwise one may never know. May as well do that sooner rather than later or never. Having said that, it is rare people can't find at least one or two things in common to carry the evening through.

I've never asked to be reseated at first sight. Most of the time, dinner companions are delightful and in the rare instances when they are not, I count my blessings that we are at the same table for just one meal. On one cruise, I spontaneously asked to stop talking about politics when a lady started before she was even seated!

On our Marina cruise we were sat outside on the Terrace one evening. Every table was taken. Next to us were a couple at a table for 4, they left their table to get their entrees. While away another couple who had been hovering nearby sat down and when they returned, they said'we have decided to join you'. The other couple did not look pleased at all. The new couple tried to make conversation and were very persistent although it was obvious they were not welcome.

I then saw the original couple get up to get their appetiser. They never returned!

I am sure it totally spoilt their evening and the new couple got their table for 2 out on the terrace.

I had a similar experience at breakfast on the Terrace one day. Someone just "joined" our table while we were away getting our food, after the waiter had served our coffee, juice, etc. When I came back, I was taken aback, and said to my husband something like "some people don't understand how this works, do they?" I then asked if we could join other friends at a nearby table.

My husband was mortified, saying I was rude and should apologize. So I got up and went back to the woman, whose friend had subsequently joined her, and apologized. I sometimes do develop a serious case of "foot in mouth disease." We all became good friends and spent much of our time together the rest of the cruise. Everyone laughed at me about this the entire cruise, but it didn't hinder our relationship, and we likely wouldn't have met them except for my "stupidity" lapse.

I had a similar experience at breakfast on the Terrace one day. Someone just "joined" our table while we were away getting our food, after the waiter had served our coffee, juice, etc. When I came back, I was taken aback, and said to my husband something like "some people don't understand how this works, do they?" I then asked if we could join other friends at a nearby table.

My husband was mortified, saying I was rude and should apologize. So I got up and went back to the woman, whose friend had subsequently joined her, and apologized. I sometimes do develop a serious case of "foot in mouth disease." We all became good friends and spent much of our time together the rest of the cruise. Everyone laughed at me about this the entire cruise, but it didn't hinder our relationship, and we likely wouldn't have met them except for my "stupidity" lapse.

It's funny how things work out sometimes:) and it ended well!. But I do have a question being pretty new to Oceania. You said "some people don't understand how this works" and I'm just curious about how it does work. Is it frowned upon in the Terrace Cafe to ask to join a couple seated at a table for 4 if there are no tables available?

I wouldn't think of just sitting down while the people are way from their table, but if we were faced with no empty tables I wouldn't think twice about asking a couple if they'd mind if we join them. Is that not done?

It is perfectly okay to ask to join people at a table when you can't find a table for yourselves. It happens all the time to us, especially on the "R" ships.

I also would not just sit down at a table that was obviously already taken. Then again, sometimes it's hard to decide if people are getting more food or have already left.

Mura

In the Terrace I think it is acceptable to ask to join a table if you cannot find an empty table

If you do not want company do NOT sit at a larger table than the size of your party

two people at a table for 6 or 8 is bound to have other join them

Space is a premium especially at breakfast on a shore day

Ask yourself ...would you ask to sit at a table with others if there were no other seats available ???

The waiters somehow know who has left the table for good & who is grazing

When we go to the buffet one will stay with the table while the other get their food ...that is why I try not to go to the buffet very often

I feel like I am eating alone

YMMV

Lyn

Years ago on our first morning a waiter in the Terrace seated us outside at a table already occupied by two others. They welcomed us to join them. It turned out that we lived in adjoining states & had mutual friends! Although we were traveling with a group we enjoyed being with our new "neighbor" friends throughout the cruise.

I agree with the option of grinning and bearing it. Having said that, I recently agreed, at the urging of a fellow traveling couple, to do a designated seating, on a 14 day cruise. That will not happen again. I think that one chance pairing is manageable.

You can't predict other's behavior. Once, while at a HAL Suite Owners Cocktail Party, I was making my way through the crowd with two glasses of wine, saying "excuse me", repeatedly. I came upon a man that would not move. I repeated" excuse me", he replied, " I don't have to move for anyone". I was totally taken aback.

Later, I was approached by the ship's Hotel Manager. He said that he witnessed the exchange and was sorry it happened. He also said that he admired my restraint. Another woman, who was the ship's Yoga instructor, said she regretted witnessing the exchange. The man's wife apologized for her husband, which I said was not necessary, from her.

Despite this incident, I still like to meet people through open seating, even though I had to see the guy in the Neptune Lounge, daily.

I agree with the option of grinning and bearing it. Having said that, I recently agreed, at the urging of a fellow traveling couple, to do a designated seating, on a 14 day cruise. That will not happen again. I think that one chance pairing is manageable.

You can't predict other's behavior. Once, while at a HAL Suite Owners Cocktail Party, I was making my way through the crowd with two glasses of wine, saying "excuse me", repeatedly. I came upon a man that would not move. I repeated" excuse me", he replied, " I don't have to move for anyone". I was totally taken aback.

Later, I was approached by the ship's Hotel Manager. He said that he witnessed the exchange and was sorry it happened. He also said that he admired my restraint. Another woman, who was the ship's Yoga instructor, said she regretted witnessing the exchange. The man's wife apologized for her husband, which I said was not necessary, from her.

Despite this incident, I still like to meet people through open seating, even though I had to see the guy in the Neptune Lounge, daily.

The Devils' Advocate wants to know if you said "Excuse me, please".....

Or, if it was an ORDER? :rolleyes:

cartoon_devil.gif

In the Terrace I think it is acceptable to ask to join a table if you cannot find an empty table

If you do not want company do NOT sit at a larger table than the size of your party

two people at a table for 6 or 8 is bound to have other join them

Space is a premium especially at breakfast on a shore day

Ask yourself ...would you ask to sit at a table with others if there were no other seats available ???

The waiters somehow know who has left the table for good & who is grazing

When we go to the buffet one will stay with the table while the other get their food ...that is why I try not to go to the buffet very often

I feel like I am eating alone

YMMV

Lyn

Breakfast is the one meal that I absolutely do not wish to share with strangers, even the nice, welcoming Oceania ones! ;):). We so rarely have breakfast together at home, it's such a luxury to have a nice relaxing breakfast with the DH, planning our day, just the two of us!

At least there are alternatives if the Terrace is busy.:).

I agree that asking to join a table is fine, because it does get really busy in the morning. I would always welcome such a request. But just sitting at a table with table service obviously unused and coffee/juice in place says, "there is someone still sitting here." Then, I would seek another place, or wait until the people returned to ask.

Archived